mk1 FR TDI

daveg1

Oct 18, 2009
midlands uk
i have a leon fr tdi 150 pd and was thinking about cutting off the back box and fitting a straight pipe. i was wondering if anybody would know if it would pass an MOT this way or if id have to weld a flange to re attach for MOT.

also if any is MOT qualified is there a desibell test and how loud can your car get?

dave

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hi Dave, you will be ok for the MOT with the back box removed
There are plenty of members on here have done this, commonly known as a mufflectomy (or something like that)
The MOT for diesels just take into account a soot test and not an emissions test - so as you drive to the MOT station just rip the ass off her to clear the pipes and you will be fine

S10EAT

Jul 31, 2010
Eastbourne
DO IT! DO IT NOOOWWWW!

You won't regret it, sounds a little bit louder and has been dyno proven to increase bhp by as much as 7 bhp!

As above, is MOT safe, my existing and previous Leon have both passed all MOT's without the backbox.

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
The mot centres are getting wild fussy over here. My mum's car and cousins car went through when I said they might fail, (their call on the work being done or not) and my car failed when it wasn't half as bad as their cars. :shrug:

LCsTed

Jan 19, 2014
Hampshire
ooooh sounds good. might have to do this to mine when I get her back :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

dgjdrummer

Part-timer
Nov 5, 2011
Wrexham, N. Wales
It is now an MOT fail to remove the DPF from a vehicle, although the tester will only check visually for this and some might turn a blind eye. I presume that same rule would apply to the catalytic converter too. Details:
http://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-rules-for-mot-to-test-for-diesel-particulate-filter

Mk1 Leons don't have a DPF fitted so would not be subject to inspection. I've heard mixed comments regarding CATs as the exact wording implies that a CAT has to be visually checked for ONLY when performing an emissions test.

Diesels do not go through an emissions test, just a smoke test, so are therefore technically exempt from visual inspection although this seems to be up to tester judgement or having a friendly tester to help you out.