MK1 Leon Question

MK5-KXE

Old School
Dec 7, 2011
Canterbury
Evening all,

At the moment i have a MK5 Ibiza 1.4 SE and i get with a full tank of petrol around 350 miles.
This is not enough for me as i am looking to get a new car that:

1. I could trade in my car for.
2. Has more than 350 miles in a full tank.

Not too fussed about MPG as you can get good MPG if you dont drive like a :censored:

Just wanted to find out more about the MK1 Leon, how many miles do you get from a full tank in the Leon?

Thx all.

You can PM me the info as i might not look at this thread often.

xx

andycupra

status subject to change
this thread is rediculous.

350 miles not enough? - what mpg are you getting from your ibiza? how big is the tank?
which leon are you looking at? diesel? petrol?
cupra?
turbo?

What is it about the 350 miles per tank that you dont like? is it that your journey is 360 miles? or are you saying the mpg is not good enough ( i know you say you dont care about mpg.. but the whole thread suggests otherwise?)

do you have a fear of petrol stations?

Ps if you are only getting 350 from a tankful with a 1.4SE then i cant see your driving being as good as you suggest. (unless the tank is really very small).

Last edited:

MK5-KXE

Old School
Dec 7, 2011
Canterbury
this thread is rediculous.

350 miles not enough? - what mpg are you getting from your ibiza? how big is the tank?
which leon are you looking at? diesel? petrol?
cupra?
turbo?

What is it about the 350 miles per tank that you dont like? is it that your journey is 360 miles? or are you saying the mpg is not good enough ( i know you say you dont care about mpg.. but the whole thread suggests otherwise?)

do you have a fear of petrol stations?

:lol:

At the moment i can fill up my car from empty for £60 and get 350miles to my tank.

My otherhalf has a clio and fills up for £60 and they get 520 miles.

With petrol prices ever going up and me being out of a job, need to stay away from a petrol station unless needed.

Not sure about what sort of Leon i would get... There is one in my RR that i have my eye on. Seat Leon Cupra R...

I recon my tank is tiny... as i have never gotten over 370 miles from a full tank. thats the CPU telling me how much is in the tank. unless thats faulty...

Last edited:

MK5-KXE

Old School
Dec 7, 2011
Canterbury
well a full tank in a cupra r is more like 75-80quid, and lucky to see 350miles from that you would need some very careful driving out of every mile with that

fair enough... thats why i started this thread to find the best Leon for the job :D

P.s

Can i get comparisons with the desiel and petrol versions of the standard Leon. Not turbo or cupra

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
right ok, lets try and get some actual figures here..
i take it you use normal unleaded?
so lets say 131p per litre?
£60 would therefore be 45.8 litres or 10.076 gallons
350 / 10.076 means:
34.7 mpg.

which means, either your car has something wrong with it, or you are thrashing it / driving it poorly.
What would you say is your typical drive? speed, distance, traffic or not etc?

if you are getting 34mpg from a 1.4 you are going to get raped if you get an LCR unless you alter how you drive.
Its a very funny logic you have to potentially sell your ibiza to get an LCR to save money.
What id really like to happen is you swap cars with your other half and see what you both get from the other car. To see if its the driver or car?

PS while i have managed to get 39 mpg from an LCR id say typically i got 33mpg and i do very little driving in rush hour so have good driving conditions. From what i have read most people get around 27mpg from an LCR.

Last edited:

MATTCR

FR
Mar 6, 2007
UK
Yeah selling a car that is getting 350 miles to a tank to buy another car which will probably do less is a bit silly

Diesel all day long if you want a guaranteed mlles to a tank over 350.

sonnex22

Jul 26, 2010
i have a 110 tdi, i fill up every 8 or 9 days and get about 550 miles from £60 or so. ccording to the dash (not overly accurate bhut for pesonal indication its OK) i average 58-60 MPG. i drive 25 miles each way to work and back at an average speed of 45 mph.

blueleon

Jul 16, 2010
Just to add my bit. I had an ibiza 1.4 8v before the leon and it too was crap on fuel. Truthfully there wasn't much difference with mpg and that was comparing the same 600 mile round trip I did for years. You need a diesel for cheaper motoring

MK5-KXE

Old School
Dec 7, 2011
Canterbury
right ok, lets try and get some actual figures here..
i take it you use normal unleaded?
so lets say 131p per litre?
£60 would therefore be 45.8 litres or 10.076 gallons
350 / 10.076 means:
34.7 mpg.

which means, either your car has something wrong with it, or you are thrashing it / driving it poorly.
What would you say is your typical drive? speed, distance, traffic or not etc?

if you are getting 34mpg from a 1.4 you are going to get raped if you get an LCR unless you alter how you drive.
Its a very funny logic you have to potentially sell your ibiza to get an LCR to save money.
What id really like to happen is you swap cars with your other half and see what you both get from the other car. To see if its the driver or car?

PS while i have managed to get 39 mpg from an LCR id say typically i got 33mpg and i do very little driving in rush hour so have good driving conditions. From what i have read most people get around 27mpg from an LCR.

Its actually 136p Per litre

it was only a thought that they might do better... i dont know alot about cars... :handbags:

alessandro

well a full tank in a cupra r is more like 75-80quid, and lucky to see 350miles from that you would need some very careful driving out of every mile with that

:confused: 80 quid for less than 350 miles? that should make it in the very low 20 mpg??

To the OP - MK1 TDI is what you need. Petrol wouldn't make sense

andycupra

status subject to change
:confused: 80 quid for less than 350 miles? that should make it in the very low 20 mpg??

To the OP - MK1 TDI is what you need. Petrol wouldn't make sense

no its not that bad.
people talking in terms of money rather than litres doesnt help..
based on a price of 133.9 per litre:
13.144 gallons
means
350/13.144 = 26.6mpg.

and actually looking at that 13.144 gallons is a squeeze on an LCR so they are probably paying more than 133.9 per gallon. Perhaps in ther region of 140.9 for optimax or the like which make it more like 28 MPG

Not good but maybe not as bad as you thought?

Last edited:

AshFR

Seat Leon TDi PD150 2005
Mar 10, 2011
Shropshire
photobucket.com
I remember when i had my 306 1.4, it would give me about 32mpg round town, and 30 mpg on motorway (yes that is 30mpg on motorway lol). But when i bought my 306 hdi, i got about 42mpg round town and 48mpg on motorway. Now ive got the leon tdi im getting about 48-50mpg round town and havent yet been on motorway so cant tell you that. Problem with a 1.4 is you have to thrash it to get anywhere which then uses more fuel so lower mpg. I got about 550-600 miles on my 306 hdi on a tank, but thats a 60litre tank, and the leon is a 55 litre tank IIRC. So yeah, go for a TDi you should be fine.

omen

ive had my 55plate lcr for about 8weeks roughly and im gettin 29mpg mixed driving and not pushing it (always got family in car lol). works out about 270 miles to 60quid. (dont let it drop much below quarter of a tank) 1.36pl at tesco 99ron

Al-Batson92

Dec 4, 2011
I have a pretty basic 1.6 16v leon, and on average i'm getting around 33 mpg, not great :/. I think it's a lot of car for the 1.6 lump and the mpg suffers. To £60 id get around 350ish miles, so even the basic petrol models aren't great on the economy side of driving. Deffinatley look into getting a diesel.

Sep 18, 2009
Shropshire
my misses currently is driving a 1.0 micra for fuel economy but you have to rev the crap out of it to get it to move......false economy ?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise