Mk1 Leon remote locking not working after changing key fob battery

jamessmith26

Hi All,

I am new to this forum but was hoping someone may be able to help me out. I have a 2001 Seat Leon TDi S & a while ago the battery went in the key remote. I bought a replacement battery & after a look on the internet for re-programming I seemed to get it working again (using either method 1 or 2 below - not sure which one actually fixed it!).

The problem is I didn't realise there were two batteries in the key so the second one went flat shortly after. I replaced this also but since then I haven't been able to get the remote locking working again.

I have tried the following procedures I found on the net, none of which worked:

Method One:
1. Turn on ignition with key without buttons
2. manually lock drivers door
3. press and hold unlock button on key
4. manually unlock and lock drivers door
5. release unlock button on key
6. turn off ignition and remove key

Method Two:
1. put key in ignition.
2. turn on for 5 secs max
3. take key out
4. press and hold one button on key.
5. press other button 3 times in succession within 10 secs.
6. release held button.
7. led on key should flash 5 times
8. central locking either locks or locks/unlocks to confirm programming.
9. exit programming mode by turning on ignition.

Method Three;
1. Switch Ignition ON and leave the key in the ignition.
2. Mechanically lock the vehicle using the Drivers door using a second key.
3. Using the remote control press the Unlock button once, and the horn will sound once.
4. Wait 6 seconds and press the unlock button once to activate the coding procedure. The remote control will now be programmed.
5. Switch Ignition OFF.
6. Remove key from ignition and check for operation.
7. The coding procedure can be repeated up to 4 times for additional remotes.
8. The ignition must be switched OFF between programming each remote control.

Method Four:
1. Press any fob button
2. Manually unlock door
3. Start engine

Does anyone know how to get the key working? It's the older style key (i.e. not the folding style).

Any help will be very gratefully received & sorry for such a long first time post!

Cheers,
James

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Is the light on the remote flashing when you press the button?

if not try bending the pins inside the key out a bit so they make contact on the circuit board as they can somtimes get flattened when you change the battery.

You shouldn't need to programme the remote every time you change the battery.

Hope this helps

jamessmith26

Hi godber225r,

Yeah the light is flashing. I have had to put a piece of tin foil in the fob to keep the contact but even if I remove this the remote still won't work even when the light is still flashing.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
You probably need a new key then as the internals of the key are faulty,

Have you taken the key apart completely and cleaned it up inside? It could be dusty/dirty and stopping it working properly?
A good excuse to get a flip out one! you can get them cheap enough off ebay with a new battery and glass transponder in.

Or you could try 2 fresh batterys in the remote and re-programme again but it sounds like a waste of time to me?

Scam

Mar 18, 2010
London
Wow! This post just saved me a fair packet! Bought my x-reg leon cupra 4 days ago and the previous owner
said his fob hadn't worked for months. I had battery changed (didn't work) so took it to Seat dealer who said it
It would cost £81 for new fob and re-programming! Decided to play about with it and bent the contacts
(However it was the big contact touching the negative battery terminal that wasn't making contact) and hey
Presto the LED came back to life! Then tried method 1 as above and the keys locks/unlocks car again!!

Sorry for opening an old thread again, but I couldn't contain my excitement!! Looks like the £81 can go toward a
Forge 007 or TIP now!!!!

Cheers guys

gemini

Feb 7, 2010
Budapest, Hungary
okay, experiencing same problems like the opening post, the difference is that I do not replaced the battery I bought a new folding key.
I went to a locksmith and they cut me a new blade and replaced the immo chip from my old non-folding buttonless key to the new one.
It does work with the ignition, I can start the car with it just the remote locking isn't working.
I have tried the methods above, non of them was working maybe I'm not trying the good way :)

so do I need to stop the manually "closing" when I press the close button? I turn it 90 degrees, so it closes the car. do I need to keep it turned 90 degrees right when I press the close button to start programming? or can I release it to turn back to the original stance?
how much do I have to push the button? just approx. like 5 sec? more?

any help appreciated :)

Curtis1993

bump to an old thread ... but my led is constantly on on my fob and wont lock or unlock the car :/

jrscuprar

My key fob light flashes on when i press it to open or close the door but the door doesn't open or close. I just changed the battery. I've got 2004 Mk1 LCR and it's original key fob. Never had any probs before. I read it's enough to change the battery and key fob doesn't need reprogramming. Any advice? Thanks.

chasae

This may have already been mentioned an if so, im sorry, the led on the key fob to my money munching leon is on constantly and doesnt lock or unlock the doors, has anyone else had this problem and sorted it? Cheers

Sep 29, 2008
Bradford
okay, experiencing same problems like the opening post, the difference is that I do not replaced the battery I bought a new folding key.
I went to a locksmith and they cut me a new blade and replaced the immo chip from my old non-folding buttonless key to the new one.
It does work with the ignition, I can start the car with it just the remote locking isn't working.
I have tried the methods above, non of them was working maybe I'm not trying the good way :)

so do I need to stop the manually "closing" when I press the close button? I turn it 90 degrees, so it closes the car. do I need to keep it turned 90 degrees right when I press the close button to start programming? or can I release it to turn back to the original stance?
how much do I have to push the button? just approx. like 5 sec? more?

any help appreciated :)

how i remember it is you have to press the lock button WHILST you have the key turned in the lock position.

liutas

Apr 18, 2014
hello, maybe someone know what is suitable for seat leon 2003 mk1 folding key part number?

Feb 21, 2020
Sorry to spark an old thread but I was having all the problems above, not only that I didn't have the second key either and after 30mins of fiddling I sorted it, by turning the key into the ignition position and pressing both lock and unlock afew times each, now it works flawlessly! Hope it helps someone who's struggling! Cheers peeps

Feb 21, 2020
Update: it done it again to me today, I have now once again solved it I was using 2x cr 2016 batteries I am now using 2x 2025 batteries and it works flawlessly (again) but for how long

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Sorry to update an old thread but I had to re-pair my remote key for the central locking and the solution was:

• insert spare key and turn on ignition
• open driver's window, just in case anything goes wrong
• insert remote key that needs re-pairing into door
• turn to the left and hold for 10 seconds
• turn back to centre and press lock and unlock on the fob

Should now be paired. The alarm may go off during the last couple of steps - just ignore.

If you have lost your spare key you can get a replacement off ebay for about £12 by sending a photo of your remote key blade.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members