MK2 20VT (Another one)

adamgardiner

Aug 8, 2006
how much work is it to get your front mount intercooler to fit? because when i looked at mine theres not much gap between the bumber and radiator as its set at an angle? have you had to move the radiator?

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
It hasn't actually fitted it yet but Roly knows what he is doing! I think the radiator has to be moved straight then the FMIC goes infront of it.

adamgardiner

Aug 8, 2006
ok thats what i thought would need doing will be good to see it done and maybe some pics? cheers adam

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
on mine i had to cut the radiator brackets off the front panel and have some custom brackets made up to relocate the rad onto the front cross member

it now sits straight across the front of the car instead of angled allowing room for my laguna intercooler to fit in which is also mounted on custom brackets

Martins front end and cross member is a whole different ball game as his is a VR chassis car which has different chassis legs, cross member and mounting points to my XR chassis car which uses same mounting points as 20VT MK3

i've got some pics of mine so will post them up 2moz when i get a chance

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
pics of my intercooler

8072.jpg

8073.jpg

8075.jpg

8076-1.jpg

5.jpg

8010.jpg

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
depends what your dropping it into and how much work you want ??

i used a mk3 ibiza cupra engine as it was the 1st conversion i'd done and i new it would drop straight in (wish i'd used a 225 lump now but that's a different story)

using the mk3 cupra makes it an easy conversion to do as the engine layout is the same, mounting points are the same and most things just fit into place, inside will depend on what you want to use dash and clock wise, again i opted for mk3 stuff as it was easier than rewiring and making other switches fit the mk2 dash

if it's something you decide to do yourself i'd personally advise trying to get a whole car as it makes the conversion so much easier

Martin M

www.midnightmotors.net
Nov 12, 2006
Kent
I thought i'd give a bit of an update.
Now that i'm keeping the car, i've started to sort some bits out and trying to get her tidy again (i've neglected her a bit recently :()

The intercooler is now on, along with Neuspeed ARB's and the front wishbones are polybushed.

Ordered new headlights (as one was cracked and i didn't want one bright new one and one dull one), front indicators (as again, one was cracked), and two new wheel bearings. My oil catch tank and EVO gasket also arrived and are waiting to be fitted.

Aero wipers got fitted last week, and i've got some red paint to tidy up the rear calipers.

I've now got 2 weeks off of work so i'm hopefully going to spend a bit of time on the car, painting and polishing bits to get her up to a nice standard again. Might look at rerouting the intercooler pipework too.

I'll try and get some pictures when it's all done.

:) Cheers

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
Any up dates mate,iv just read the ful theard and im seriously thinking on doin this conversion!i want 2 try and keep mine as a sleeper tho?just out of interest,would you do it again roly?

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
Nice sounds like fun,me and my mate were gona do it but thort id ask u if u were intersted as you know what you are doing!and its the family car so carnt be off the rd 2long!gona read the threads now!

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
I've only ever done them as complete swaps (mk3 into mk2 shell) so it's all plug and play and easy to do
Engine is easy to fit with the right mounts and front end can all be fitted back together and look almost factory (mine did to start with)
Depends if your looking to fit the dash and interior or not ?? i can drop engine's in and out no prob but i hate wiring, hence why i used all the mk3 loom, ecu, etc as it's all pretty much plug and play (im no mechanic i've just had a go and it's paid off, twice)

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
Well id proas go the same route as you mate,you have done it amasingley twice!im look 4 a donor at the min but im also in the prosses of get a rally preped 205gti for the track!you should get a few people together on open midnight motors!was look forword 2 seeing you at cadwell!

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
Well id proas go the same route as you mate,you have done it amasingley twice!im look 4 a donor at the min but im also in the prosses of get a rally preped 205gti for the track!you should get a few people together on open midnight motors!was look forword 2 seeing you at cadwell!

Midnight Motors are kind of in business but they work like the name sugests, after hours only at the moment, i was looking forward to Cadwell but had to settle for the Vectra instead, i'll deffinatly be back there this year with the ibiza though

If you can find a doner car let me know, im sure i can lend a hand somehow :)

rich.h44

Its a secret!!!!
Aug 31, 2007
hull
Nice1 mate thats grate,il keep in touch and let ya know,so thats was u in that beast then!defo car of they day i think,lol!i waz out in ian_cupras car and waz amaised!and fell in love with cadwell!(1st track day)carnt wait to see your car!is it sorted now?