mk2 fest 07

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
foook, yeh maybe thats a good enough excuse then lol

so Mig when you setting up the convoy location into bruntingthorpe, theres a big convoy going from london area to bruntingthorpe, any VAG allowed lol, so i'll tear off that and meet you guys

only 2 weeks to go :D

Last edited:

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Pass.
The 1200 miles its covered it been driven and cared with the upmost respect.
I had been traveling at 80mph in 5th (circa 4k rpm) on my way to see Bill race at Combe and it just went without warning - bang - sound of bits bouncing under the car - smoke etc. Was still turning over by itself once I stopped on the hard shoulder.

DSCF0006-1.jpg

Hole in the back of the engine right next to the engine mount, cant really speculate what exactly has happened until its out of the car and taken to pieces really...

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Shat my pants indeed, pretty scary stuff when you've got to thread your way through 2 lanes of traffic in the pissing rain and not get hit up the arse by a couple of artics!

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
gutted for you - not had much luck just recently have you.

Well hole in block is pretty terminal...looks like Cyl 2....usually sign that something very serious has happened like a broken rod - any signs of this ? - this could be down to a dropped valve and if thats happened it could be a right mess...this happened to me and the only salvageable bit was the crank, cams and valve caps

- can you get a plug out on the cyl thats damaged ? may be able to see inside ? careful taking it out though - the threads may be thrashed inside

Last edited:

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Shat my pants indeed, pretty scary stuff when you've got to thread your way through 2 lanes of traffic in the pissing rain and not get hit up the arse by a couple of artics!

Thats a feeling I know , fella.. had that happen in my old Berlingo TD van.. m5 pissing down rain, BOSCHHHHHHHHHH!!! snot/piss/steam alsorts coming out of the bay.. hazards on, veered in between two artics horns and lights flashing at me.. indeed it is a scarey few moments
:)

EssexIbiza1985

Oct 18, 2006
bloody hell thats quite a hole...

where is the ace cafe? bruntingthorpe?

7am... mmm going to the o2 wireless festival in hyde park on the saturday! have to make sure i take it easy lol!

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Head has been taken off and its pretty much terminal, all 4 valves are missing the heads on no.4 - shrapnal spat out the TB's, combustion chamber is pretty much as you can imagine, piston has a big hole in it where the valve heads have dropped through and ricoched inside the block against the windage tray (like a pinball machine)

Some valveheads have made it outside the engine (will make a nice keyring for the Golf lol) out of one of 3 different holes in the block, block is cracked and No.4 rod from what they can see through the piston looks banana'd

Will know more about inside the block once thats out during the week

Engine failures happen but its pretty hard to stomach after its done so little milage and not been exerted in anyway.

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Who's going to GTi International on the Saturday? Fancy going up saturday and on the stand if there is one on saturday????

Can't make it on sunday because I put my name down at the begininng of the year for a local show :doh:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.