mk2 fest 07

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
sounds like the timing has shifted dramatically - like the belt snapped - very unusual for all cylinders to be toast unless this happened - on my motor, only one sylinder was toast as it dropped a valve in that one causing the damage

sounds like the builders have some serious explaining to do to me.......

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
From what I know the belt was still intact (engine was still turning over by itself when came to a halt) and the vernier pulley had not moved.

Will know more during the week.

RobT

Full throttle trip
Nov 30, 2001
Congleton
so is it several cylinders damaged or just No. 4 ? - cos the hole next to the engine mount would be cyl 1 or 2 ?

if you have several cylinders damaged, my guess would be timing issue

the vernier may not apparently move but the belt can jump teeth if its not been tightened properly. also, the top and bottom timing wheels have keyways in them and they can fail - and if they do then the wheels can move = bang.

did you notice any tapping before the fail ? (hard to tell perhaps as the damn things so noisy) - happens sometimes when the pistons are just kissing the valves before it all goes bang

either way, you dont expect this from a new engine build

cupra!

one off!
Nov 29, 2006
hertfordshire
I'm going to try and make it. Whent to the one at Santa Pod saw alot of nice Seats so would love to come to this one as its not to far.

Last edited:

WeeC

Aug 5, 2004
Glasgow
Ill be there for defo but unfortunately not on the Seatcupra stand now. Ill be on the ScottishVag stand. Sorry for any hassle created:redface:

gregclarks

Trying to Resist ARBs
May 31, 2006
We should all have our Seatcupra.net alias' around our necks or on a badge - any good badge makers?? just kidding...

How will anyone have a clean car after driving all that way? are there 'facilities'? Cant jhave a dirty motor at a show!?!?

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
We should all have our Seatcupra.net alias' around our necks or on a badge - any good badge makers?? just kidding...

How will anyone have a clean car after driving all that way? are there 'facilities'? Cant jhave a dirty motor at a show!?!?

Not sure how its at this show but at TRAX there was water available so if you had a bucket, then you filled it with water and then washed your car (providing you also bought all your washing gear).

Mig

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.