mk2 Golf GTI 16v or mk2 Ibiza GTI 16v?

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
I may be on the verge of a huge U turn here.

i am looking at buying a little something to keep me entertained and i was thinking either a caddy or a vento but now i am looking at mk2 golfs...especially after seeing bezzertarts purchase.

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
i bought a mk2 GTI, yes it's only a 1.8 8v, but it's such a hoot to drive, but, there's 23 years of rust in it:

3480553986_9b67bc6073_b.jpg

3479725045_845ddbec78_b.jpg

here's the rust :cry: as you may observe, THAT is fubar :lol:
DSC02595.jpg

DSC02597.jpg

to be fair i did buy it because it came on supersports, which will be going on the ibiza, and it came with a spare gearbox, also for the ibiza

£300 = not a bad purchase

back on topic, the ibiza is basically the same car, but without the status and "scene tax" as it were for a mint one. I'd have the ibiza, just becuase it's a bit more comfortable, and has more mod cons, Air con, powersteering, i know i got rid of the air con, but for some people it's essential. power steering however is a must :lol:

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
I cant post it now as I am at work but at home I have a pic from snapriot.com for a beige mk2 golf slammed to hell sitting on mk3 ibiza turbo rims…

Its looks incredible !

May 31, 2008
I have been thinking of getting a mk2 golf gti in august :/ fancy something a bit older.

AusCupra

Sep 22, 2008
Wexford
Having never owned a Golf, I have plenty of experience with mates having had Mk1 & Mk GTi's for years... Cracking cars. Would prefer a Mk1 Golf to a Mk2, bit more retro!

Again as others have mentioned your paying a premium on a Mk2 becuse of the cult status of the golf and dub scene. Bang for bucks I think the 'biza is better value.

The golf is better in certain areas, handling for one. but how many people on the road are able exploit the full handling potential of a car??

Real world for me anyway is the 'biza especially my Cupra!

Being from N.I you won't see many of these floating around?

Oh and the last Mk2 Golf i was in on Irish roads was horrific! it bottomed out everwhere, crashed and bucked! (Yes it was slightly lower, on H & R springs I think?) hard work trying to keep it out of the ditch! but my Cupra is much much better on the rubbish Irish roads.

Oh and keep your eye out for mine around N.I As you can't miss it!!!

In fact by a golf as I want to keep my Cupra rare in this part of the world!

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
I'm still looking, in no real rush to be honest. Just want a late one with PAS and a good shell. I will more than likely get the shell dipped and resprayed.

And I'm still thinking an eaton supercharger from a mini cooper s would spice up the performance of a mk2 gti more than enough.

@Dolly_GTi: you know you'll have to put up a vid or two of the G60 running just to keep us happy.

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Tough one this, had both MK2 Beeza 16V then Golf 16V but gone back to the Beeza (when I finally get it back on the road) just as much fun but added bonus of ABS, Recaro's & Air Con, plus people generally don't know how quick they are!

Although the Golf is slightly lighter and far more cool plus looks better to be fair I don't know but it would have to take a very nice MK2 Golf to prise my Ibiza away.

Just my 2p

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise