mk2 Golf GTI 16v or mk2 Ibiza GTI 16v?

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
If the local lads get down junction 2 M5 3rd wednesday of this month it should be there. skool drop outs, VW meet at the toys r us for a tea and a chat!

dont know what is pushing, got to get a smaller pulley for the charger push it toward a max of about 17psi

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
Lisburn, Northern Ireland
Well, I took the plunge and after plenty of searching I bought a 1990 mk2 golf gti 16v 3dr in red from wales (infact I'm only just back after the 3 hour boat ride and drive home from dublin port).

Its got PAS, has the standard bbs ra's, lowered 50-60mm on koni shocks and has a scorpion dtm style exhaust.
The guy gave me a spare bbs ra he had for the car too, and I also acquired some electric window winders too. So the only thing the car is missing is ABS which I could probably source the parts for and add if I wanted.

It is burning a bit of oil, but other than that it was running very well and almost managed 40mpg on my way home from dublin and tbh I wasn't exactly hanging around when I got the chance (so much fun once you hit 5k rpm).

Gonna get plugs, filters and oil for it and give it a service over the next day or so and see how it is after that.

Will post some pics up later, when its daylight and I've had some sleep.

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
sounds lush gaz, what's the mileage? and if you don't mind, how much you get it for?

Mileage is 148k, but that didn't bother me as I fully intend over the winter to strip the engine down and rebuild it replacing piston, rings, valves, cams, possibly the crank and add a baffled sump and windage tray.

Paid £1300 for the car, it isn't mint but I was just after something that was gonna be a good base to work on over the winter.

Ok so it's stopped raining sideways so I've went out and took some pictures with my phone,
by no means great quality but better than no pictures. :rolleyes:

img0422f.jpg

img0424nqe.jpg

img0425edit.jpg

Last edited:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
fair enough, as you've got different intentions!

make a thread on here when your doing it up mate!

Gazb

Mar 6, 2007
fair enough, as you've got different intentions!

make a thread on here when your doing it up mate!

Anything sub 100k mileage goes for daft money, or if it's sensibly priced it's sold within a day or two. Missed out on a 1991 oak green 16v with recaro seats that had only 89k on the clock as it was sold within a couple of days.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
oh i didn't see the pics before, looks real nice mate! good find!
paintwork looks quite neat!

Anything sub 100k mileage goes for daft money, or if it's sensibly priced it's sold within a day or two. Missed out on a 1991 oak green 16v with recaro seats that had only 89k on the clock as it was sold within a couple of days.

oh i know which one your on about, my mate rang about that...GONE! he wants a nice MK2 aswell, they go for silly money though!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
always hankered after a dark green mk2 golf with black arches adn big bumpers, just 'got it' in my eyes

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members