Mk2 Ibiza: Which VWs are the donors?

BrownCupra

Nov 13, 2008
Ive been having a row with a mate of mine for a fair while now, he has been trying to tell me that my mk2 Ibitza is a mk3 Golf.

But I am 99.9% sure its a 6n Polo underneath, am I right or have I just made myself look a idiot? :lol:

Dec 17, 2006
Bristol
Erm, a bit of both. And some mk2 golf thrown in there too, for good measure.

Chassis is bascially 6n polo which itself is a shrunken Mk2.
Engine is golf mk3
Rear suspension beam is 6n
Front suspension is a mix of mk3 golf and mk2 golf?

BrownCupra

Nov 13, 2008
Erm, a bit of both. And some mk2 golf thrown in there too, for good measure.

Chassis is bascially 6n polo which itself is a shrunken Mk2.
Engine is golf mk3
Rear suspension beam is 6n
Front suspension is a mix of mk3 golf and mk2 golf?

So the majority of it being the chassis which is 6n... I wil take that as a win for me :lol:

The old Ibitza is a right heinz 57

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i usually explain it by saying 'imagine a polo with a golf gti engine in it'

most people think that's nuts but not far off

in reality there is a varied mix of shared parts in there

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Front of chassis is not a 6N, the floor pan is a fair bit wider which is why the large block engines drop in. Also the engine is subframe mounted like the Mk3 Golf rather than swung on the chassis legs like the 6N.

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
as techie said, uses mk2/3 golf subframe, rack, lower arms and front cross member with the front end/ chassis being golf with a few polo bits thrown in.

BrownCupra

Nov 13, 2008
would be useful to have a list made up of all the mk2 ibiza parts that can be replaced with VW parts!

Now that would be a good idea!

I wil start mk2 golf G60 bottom ball joints are the same as the cupra with 280mm brakes, I wouldnt be suprised if the hubs brakes and calipers are the same either as ive got a g60 set up on my mk2 and its looks identical

adam_8v

its good bits are the same on most vag's means getting spares is alot easier

martin_hill_198

Apr 21, 2008
i know sll the front end of corby are same and mk2 and mk3 golfs as my mate had a set of coilies on his mk2 and i nicked them for an hour to see how low i cud go and all i had to do was change the top bushes over... all the brakes are the same as mk2 golf gti 8v and early 16 brakes are thesame and low engine ibiza 239mm and the 16v gtis have 256mm which same and coupe corby and the g60's same and cupras etc 280mm.... and ford galaxy rear calipers fit vw's as well

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.