Mk2 Leon FR TDI pre-facelift; a plethora of warning lights

HDot1997

Jan 31, 2019
Hi guys I'm new here :)
So I bought this Leon with 121k miles on it 2 days ago. Previously been mapped to 210 with a dpf delete, needless to say an incredible car for a 21 year old uni student to own. Fast forward to this morning on my commute to uni, all was well until after about an hour I took a roundabout at an "excitable" pace (I regularly took it much faster in my old 1.6 Golf, was my first time driving round it in the Seat so took it relatively easy) and all of a sudden the car beeps at me 3 times and I have the:
Parking brake light flashing at me
Abs light on
Traction control light on
Steering light on in orange
The speedometer isn't working

I was about 15 minutes from uni and the car still drove fine except the steering wheel wasn't straightening itself (it feels like it wants to but its not got enough power) so I drove it to uni, parked up and went to my seminar which turned out to be empty so I immediately came back to my car as that's all I was really worried about. Turn the engine on and now there's a Flashing coil light as well.

My friend came with his obd tool and when I turned the car on to show him the lights the engine managment light had come on as well, excellent!

After reading through a few forums and using his obd tool we managed to get the traction control light to disappear but everything else is still there. We tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it, full lock to full lock then drive straight slowly to get rid of the steering light, but to no avail. Now I'm in my car parked up having missed everything from this morning's uni. The car drives fine except for the steering, even the abs works when I slam my brakes at ~30. I have a lab in an hour that finishes in about 4 hours (just in time for rush hour) after which I'm hoping to nurse the car home where another friend of mine has vagcom to get a proper diagnostic.

TLDR;
My parking brake and coil are lights flashing, and my abs, steering, coil and engine management light are all on. Also my speedo doesn't work however the car seems to work fine except steering seems to not recentre. Any ideas what it could be?

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
I had the traction, abs and tyre pressure light on and it was an abs sensor. But with the others I would guess its a short of some sort.

One of the common ones is a connector near the fuse box under the bonnet becomes corroded.

It does seem to cold weather makes it worse.

Reactions: Compo1

HDot1997

Jan 31, 2019
I had the traction, abs and tyre pressure light on and it was an abs sensor. But with the others I would guess its a short of some sort.

One of the common ones is a connector near the fuse box under the bonnet becomes corroded.

It does seem to cold weather makes it worse.

Yeah the weather's been terrible, checking the fuse box a couple of the wires do seem corroded however they are still connected. Is an abs sensor expensive, and would it be a case of just buying new wires to replace the corroded ones?

Thanks for the fast reply btw I appreciate it :)

Reactions: Compo1

Compo1

Jul 19, 2010
Sounding like a power steering issue to me.

What codes did you pull with the obd reader.

HDot1997

Jan 31, 2019
Sounding like a power steering issue to me.

What codes did you pull with the obd reader.

P0600 and it said "Serial" something or other I can't remember exactly, but my friend said it seems like wiring issues to him

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Yeah the weather's been terrible, checking the fuse box a couple of the wires do seem corroded however they are still connected. Is an abs sensor expensive, and would it be a case of just buying new wires to replace the corroded ones?

Thanks for the fast reply btw I appreciate it :)

If you can try cleaning up the connectors, just as they’re attached doesn’t mean they’re working properly is the corrosion is bad.

The abs sensor is not an expansive part around £25 the issue is that often the bearing needs replacing at the same time as it’s rusted, swollen and rubbed on the sensor. So you’d need to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HDot1997

Jan 31, 2019
If you can try cleaning up the connectors, just as they’re attached doesn’t mean they’re working properly is the corrosion is bad.

The abs sensor is not an expansive part around £25 the issue is that often the bearing needs replacing at the same time as it’s rusted, swollen and rubbed on the sensor. So you’d need to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2 left most connectors under the fuse box were very rusty, seems like that may be the problem. I'm gonna drive home now as well rather than tonight as I can't exactly focus at uni with my car like this I'll keep you all updated

Reactions: Sharpy

HDot1997

Jan 31, 2019
Quick update: my friend had a handheld reader (not vag specific) and a boatload of errors came up (78!), got another guy coming in an hour or so to check it out. Everyone at my friend's garage were saying it's some sort of sensor gone wrong, hopefully an easy fix.

I also got the error code P1653

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members