MK2 lights onto mk1

ArosaRacer

Wee man returns in a fL mk2 cupra
Aug 28, 2005
Bayview, Kent
Rear light wiring the plugs have numbers on them 1-6 here are the colours for each pin.

O/S
1 BLACK/RED
2GREY/RED
3 NOT IN USE
4 BROWN
5 BLACK/GREEN
6 GREY/WHITE

N/S
1BLUE/BACK
2WHITE?BLACK
3BROWN
4NOT IN USE
5RED/BLACK
6BLACK/GREY

If you blow your car up its not my fault this is only a GUIDE

wabbit1

Works great

Just got my new rear lights fitted using your instructions and it works perfectly.

Car looks superb now from behind.

Thank yoooooo :D

Last edited by a moderator:

dvfmliv

I sussed out the wiring codes by trial and error lol!

The mad thing is ALL Lupos have the same tail light wiring set-up as MK1 Arosas, yet MK2 Arosas are something completely different.

deathhead

May 27, 2007
Portadown N.I
got it sorted, just a matter of reconnecting matching wires. My mark 2 lights were the black ones so looked ok on the black car, just not my taste though, prefer the mk1 lights much more.

UKMKIV

Rear light wiring the plugs have numbers on them 1-6 here are the colours for each pin.

O/S
1 BLACK/RED
2GREY/RED
3 NOT IN USE
4 BROWN
5 BLACK/GREEN
6 GREY/WHITE

N/S
1BLUE/BACK
2WHITE?BLACK
3BROWN
4NOT IN USE
5RED/BLACK
6BLACK/GREY

I guess I ought to look at this first, however, can someone verify what the colours and numbers refer to?

ie
Are the numbers for the Mk2 lights and the colours, the Mk1 loom?

Cheers

J85Ibiza

Great guide, and makes the world of difference to the back end, not a fan of the Mk1 lights..

foto2021

May 2, 2011
Buckinghamshire
Great guide, and makes the world of difference to the back end, not a fan of the Mk1 lights..

A great guide, I agree.

But I'm having trouble getting the metal connectors out of the plastic plug to change their order 1-6. I opened the flap at the side of the plug but could only ease one wire out by tilting it. The other five seem to be firmly stuck and won't budge even when tilted.

I'm naturally clumsy and I don't want to break any of the connectors. Any suggestions as to how to gently release the connectors please?

Tony

bentdi

you need to fiddle about with a jewellers screwdriver to push the pins in from the plug end, its tricky but no too hard - or they have a tool in the vw/seat garage,i did find a guide to show me somewhere but cant find it now sorry

anthanyg

cgi.ebay.co.uk/SEAT-AROSA-REAR-LAMP-LIGHT-6H0945111E2U6-NEW-SEAT-LHD-/140467995141?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20b48b8205#ht_968wt_921[/url]

these look smart it says left hand drive only but rekon with abit of tinkering these could be made to work?

foto2021

May 2, 2011
Buckinghamshire
Someone else on eBay is selling a pair of LHD rear lights for £177. So £40 is a good price for a new rear light, and you might get it for less than £40 by making an offer.

The problem is that the fog light is on the wrong side. The law says you must have only one fog light and it must be on the right (driver's side) of the car. Manufacturers often put the reversing light in the same position on the left (passenger's side) light unit. In left hand drive markets the two are swapped over, with the all-important fog light on the left.

There is no problem having a reversing light on the right, but if the foglight is on the left you run the risk of prosecution, and the car won't pass an MOT.

May 31, 2011
Essex
can you not just change the bulb and connect them as normal as the car is set up for RHD so when you reverse you would get a red light not white therefore swapping the bulb over would give you white reverse light one side and red fog on the other???

foto2021

May 2, 2011
Buckinghamshire
can you not just change the bulb and connect them as normal as the car is set up for RHD so when you reverse you would get a red light not white therefore swapping the bulb over would give you white reverse light one side and red fog on the other???

I see what you are getting at, but the bulbs are both white so swapping them doesn't make any difference. You will get a white fog light on the right which is illegal. You could fit a red LED bulb on the right to give you a red fog light but you still have the problem of the red reversing light on the left.

You cannot have a fog light on the left. The car won't pass an MOT and, if you are stopped by police for any other reason, you are liable to police prosecution under the Construction and Use regulations.

With the Mark II lights, it might be possible to separate the clear outer cover from the black base by careful heating with a hot air gun and then remove the white and red lenses and swap them over. But that would be too tricky for my limited skills - I would probably end up melting the whole assembly. :rolleyes:

foto2021

May 2, 2011
Buckinghamshire

O/S
1 BLACK/RED
2GREY/RED
3 NOT IN USE
4 BROWN
5 BLACK/GREEN
6 GREY/WHITE

N/S
1BLUE/BACK
2WHITE?BLACK
3BROWN
4NOT IN USE
5RED/BLACK
6BLACK/GREY

Some comments based on experience changing my Mark I lights to Mark II last month:

You need a Torx T20 bit to remove the light assemblies. There is a single screw for each assembly next to the tailgate opening. They originally came with a black plastic cover but these usually get discarded at some point in the car's life.

When the screw is out, gently move the light assembly horizontally towards the outside of the car. Two pins on the light assembly will disengage from two rubber grommets in metal tabs that are welded to the car body. Sometimes a grommet will come out - make sure you don't lose it, and make sure the grommet is fully home in the metal tab before you refit the light assembly.

You then need to remove the six pin plug that connects the wiring loom to the light assembly. There are securing clips at each end of the plug that need to be eased out. The plug has a flap that opens, revealing the contacts and numbers 1 to 6 which are referred to in the list quoted above.

To re-arrange the wires you need to remove most of the contacts from the plastic six pin plug. I found this very fiddly and opted to buy new plugs from the local dealer - in this case VW. The part number is 893 971 636. They cost less than £1 each. I carefully cut off the old plugs with side cutters, taking care not to damage the original contacts.

However, I later found that the contacts were easily removed using a paper clip. :rolleyes:

The 'new' offside lights worked first time but I had a problem with the nearside lights. The reversing light didn't work. I also had problems with my auto gearbox - I could only get reverse and third gears to work.

The problem was that the wiring new offside light unit did not need the blue/black wire from the wiring loom, so I thought I would put it in the "not in use" socket (No.4). What I hadn't realised was that this No.4 contact was connected to No.3, which is earth. The black/blue wire is the live supply for the reversing light, so whenever the gear selector was in reverse, this caused a direct short to earth and blew the fuse. The fuse supplies the reversing light and the auto gearbox ECU, hence the problems with only one forward gear.

The remedy was to remove the blue/black wire from the six pin plug and tape it up. With a new fuse fitted, the single (nearside) reversing light worked and so did the gearbox. Job done!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members