MK3 1.8 TSI Tuning

Andrew@DTUK

Forum Sponsor
this info is hot off the press..

We are now able to offer a plug and play warranty safe tuning option for the Audi, Seat, Skoda, VW 1.8TSI 180PS

At this point ill let the graphs do the talking

Stock 1.8 TFSI Audi a3 195 ps and 269 nm (manufacturers claimed power 180 PS and 250 nm)

18TSISTANDARD_zpsd7113888.jpg

Tuned 1.8 TFSI Audi A3 235.9 ps and 323.8nm (manufacturers claimed power 180 PS and 250 nm) :p

18TUNED_zps66c93535.jpg

yet again this kit will be offered in 2 guises, a Stage 1 FSR system which is ideal for the customer who is looking for a Stage 1 tune only, or the FSR+ which will be released with our partner Shark Performance who will be developing a Stage 2 option for customers wishing to make additional hardware changes to their vehicle

more details to follow, but I'm sure this will be of interest to a few members

http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/vehicle-seat_leon-(2013-)_1.8-tsi-180ps

Last edited:

madduffyx

Dec 21, 2009
Very nice Andrew. Amazing that it was already 15ps above the claimed stock figure!

Andrew@DTUK

Forum Sponsor
some recent feedback from a GTI owner, I'm sure Graham's already read this..

From Exonian - ******************** - 16th Jan 14

Just as a follow up to my own experience with the box, to recap: previously I'd borrowed a GTI to fit the loom and box to and ran it briefly in bad weather and heavy traffic. The car was obviously more eager under acceleration but still as docile as stock when not 'on it'. I think I said this was how the car should have been from the factory as the chassis and brakes could easily cope with the upgrade with masses of room to spare such is the competence of the chassis.

Well the car came back to me briefly yesterday and I had a spare hour before I had to work in the evening and it was just a case of removing the blanking plug from the loom which had been left in the car (I wasn't completely sure how well the loom would hold up as I'd fitted it in pretty poor weather conditions albeit in a dry garage with the door open to let in natural light and I used 'natural' runs in the engine bay keeping the loom as far away from anything it might rub on as I could but I didn't put any cable ties in as I was pretty confident I'd fitted it in a way that there would be no movement for ease of removal again as it wasn't my car).

I'd asked Andrew @ DTUK some rather obvious questions to make sure I'd taken in the info in the first place properly and double checked how to remove the circuit board which Andrew sent me an idiot proof video within seconds of asking which says it all about Andrew I think.
Then as recommended, I put the box to the settings Ben @ Shark had recommended before Xmas and refitted the box in seconds.

So, off to find a nice big steep hill on a bit of fast dual carriageway to test out the new output - my theory is that anything can go quickly on a bit of flat straight road but a nice big hill with lots of bends and a bit of speed will sort the men out from the boys in the go department!
It was throwing it down with rain, cold, fairly heavy traffic - ideal!

What can I say - the car is still as docile as ever off boost, totally smooth and has none of the hiccups and coughs as the dump valve struggles to cope with masses of extra boost just as the turbo starts its main spool around 2000rpm. Nope, if there is one big benefit of these boxes mirroring the factory mapping and just amplifying it, it's that the power delivery is just as smooth and progressive - only more - lots more!
The mid-range is awesome now. You'd never know it was mapped from the delivery but it just shoots up steep motorway slip ramps. The XDS copes with it completely in even awful conditions, no traction issues and the chassis just shrugs it off.
Now I wasn't trying to be a racing driver, all speeds were pretty much not going to raise an eyebrow of a traffic cop unless he was having a particularly bad day at the office. But it was enough to get a pretty darn good insight into how much better the car felt.
After all, to me the ability to do 200 mph is irrelevant as I don't drive outside of the UK. The benefit to me of a remapped car is not how fast it will go balls out but more how much more fun it is to drive at five tenths, six tenths or thereabouts.
And that's the thing. I think if a standard car is driven very hard it will wear things far more quickly than a remapped car that's driven sensibly with a bit of sympathy.

Another thanks to Andrew for the top service.

I didn't want to give the car back after that

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Has there been any testing on 1.8s with the DSG box?

More curious now seeing as a stock 1.8 pushes out 270Nm contrary to the 250Nm limit!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
Has there been any testing on 1.8s with the DSG box?

More curious now seeing as a stock 1.8 pushes out 270Nm contrary to the 250Nm limit!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I always see posts like this about tuning cars, where have you seen this limit? That's less nm than a standard Gti, so is that above the limit?? The standard car on that dyno is 270 and mapped is 320!?

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
I always see posts like this about tuning cars, where have you seen this limit? That's less nm than a standard Gti, so is that above the limit?? The standard car on that dyno is 270 and mapped is 320!?

As ma9 says, the 7 speed DSG on most VAG cars (except the very high performance models which have a different 7 speed box) is limited to 250Nm due to it having dry clutches. The GTI etc (any car outputting more than 250Nm but less than 380Nm) will have the wet clutch 6 speed DSG as these can handle the heat better due to the clutches being submersed in oil. Above this, some have a wet clutch 7 speed unit (Audi RS3 etc)

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
As ma9 says, the 7 speed DSG on most VAG cars (except the very high performance models which have a different 7 speed box) is limited to 250Nm due to it having dry clutches. The GTI etc (any car outputting more than 250Nm but less than 380Nm) will have the wet clutch 6 speed DSG as these can handle the heat better due to the clutches being submersed in oil. Above this, some have a wet clutch 7 speed unit (Audi RS3 etc)

So your saying that you can't map a dsg with a dry clutch? Seems unlikely to me, were the older gen dsg boxes in like mk1 TTs dry?

See, this is why you should stick to manual :)

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
So your saying that you can't map a dsg with a dry clutch? Seems unlikely to me, were the older gen dsg boxes in like mk1 TTs dry?

See, this is why you should stick to manual :)

It will apparently considerably reduce it's serviceable life (reportedly 400,000km) due to the excess heat build-up.

The DSG box in the Mk1 TT was the DQ250 6 speed wet clutch which in it's first gen. incarnation had a maximum TQ limit of 350Nm - a shade more than the 320Nm that the 3.2 it was mated to put out.

And I would love to be able to drive a manual but Cerebral Palsy means I don't have the dexterity to. DSG is the best I can get IMO.

GrahamFR

Now AMG Powered
Dec 10, 2008
Barnsley or Burton
It will apparently considerably reduce it's serviceable life (reportedly 400,000km) due to the excess heat build-up.

The DSG box in the Mk1 TT was the DQ250 6 speed wet clutch which in it's first gen. incarnation had a maximum TQ limit of 350Nm - a shade more than the 320Nm that the 3.2 it was mated to put out.

And I would love to be able to drive a manual but Cerebral Palsy means I don't have the dexterity to. DSG is the best I can get IMO.

Saving up for a cupra then? And surely the dsg will hold up for a while, it might just reduce the lifespan no?

derelyth

Jun 11, 2011
Portsmouth
Saving up for a cupra then? And surely the dsg will hold up for a while, it might just reduce the lifespan no?

Not for me - the power the FR has and the way it is delivered is enough for me at the mo :)

I guess it would - no idea how much it would shorten it's life by - not sure where I read it but there was a theory that it was along the lines of a square/cube of the percentage of the increased torque figure. But I'm not sure.