Mk3 184 diesel FR, what to look for.

Symon

Dec 23, 2011
Oxfordshire
Hi all, i am thinking of returning to the Seat fold and am thinking of going to look at a 2015 FR 2.0 Diesel 184 with manual transmission.
The car has done 66,000 miles and is at a main dealer.

Is there anything to look out for specifically on this model or are they pretty reliable? I might also get it remapped at some stage, are the other parts such as gearbox and drive train up to handling the extra power and torque?

Many thanks.

Unizz

Jul 5, 2017
Hi all, i am thinking of returning to the Seat fold and am thinking of going to look at a 2015 FR 2.0 Diesel 184 with manual transmission.

Is there anything to look out for specifically on this model or are they pretty reliable? I might also get it remapped at some stage, are the other parts such as gearbox and drive train up to handling the extra power and torque?

Many thanks.
I have the exact same car 64 plate, bought the car on 36k now it's on 96k mileage. I have had no issues with it. I've remaped it and dsg tuned it. Again no issues handles and works fine staying on top of servicing and all is well so far

Hope that helps

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Symon

Symon

Dec 23, 2011
Oxfordshire
Thank you, that is a great help. One other thing that does concern me is that I think this is the emissions scandal engine, and I have heard that the fix can cause reliability issues. Is that something to worry about?

Unizz

Jul 5, 2017
Thank you, that is a great help. One other thing that does concern me is that I think this is the emissions scandal engine, and I have heard that the fix can cause reliability issues. Is that something to worry about?
I'm not entirely sure about that to be honest buddy. I haven't had any issues I have thoroughly enjoyed the car and will keep it till I drive it to the ground as it's been modded to my liking you can see it as @frcaradventures if you want.
But yeah no issues with it so far mate

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
The 184 is the EA288 engine and is not affected by the emissions scandal.

The previous gen EA189 engine is the emissions scandal one, no version of this engine was ever fitted to a mk3 Leon AFAIK.

Reactions: Compo1

Hawkers

Nov 7, 2015
Norwich, UK

Many thanks.

Cambelt will be due next year to factor in, not a reason to not buy it though. The 184 is very impressive, as long as you do the mileage to keep the filters clean you'll be OK.

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
Done over 40k in mine in 3.5 years and there nothing major to report. It just seems to do what I need it to do very well...

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
If you do get it, run one or two full tanks of Shell Vpower Diesel / Esso Supreme diesel to clean out the engine (like descaling a kettle). After that you can use standard diesel, but every once in awhile pump the above two again.

Unizz

Jul 5, 2017
I agree
I use shell vpower as often as I can! When the fuel is very low

Good shout

Miguel 7

R ST
Jan 23, 2017
Coolant leaks seem to be common on these perhaps get it checked before you buy
No issues with mine in the past 3 yrs so well recommended.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Coolant leaks seem to be common on these perhaps get it checked before you buy
No issues with mine in the past 3 yrs so well recommended.

:lol: This...

No problems with the EA288 150ps version fitted to my FR, but had loads of coolant issues on 184ps fitted to my Octavia VRS...

The water pump is prone to failure (had x 2 fail on the Octavia in 72000 miles - one was a seal, the other a catastrophic failure of the internals), and leaks via the EGR cooler / blocked heater matrix are starting to become more prevalent on cars 4-5 years old - see the number of threads on the Briskoda forums. Edit: it’s a difficult one to check; despite losing coolant (top to bottom of reservoir every 1500 miles), the standard pressure test will more than likely come back with ‘no fault found’, which is the common complaint in the forum threads.

Look for condensation in rear light clusters - units crack and let in water - brake/indicator unit just cost me £135 from TPS, but you can buy OEM Valeo ones from Euro Car Parts for c.£100.

The rear pads have a tendency to sieze up, especially if the car has been stood still for long periods - excessive corrosion/putting on disc face indicates that they are not moving freely. If this is the case, relatively inexpensive fix, but negotiate that the dealer fixes this. This has been a common issue with every VAG car that I’ve owned since Mk5 Golf, especially now that dealer serving rarely removes the wheels and brake wear is measured using a tool with the wheels still fitted.

The interior is prone to rattles. This can easily be fixed using felt automotive tape around the bottom of A Pillars and transmission tunnel.

Other than that, I have a 100k mike FR and the interior looks brand new (less a few minor scratches to soft passenger side dash due to kids with school bags) - whilst interior quality is supposedly not as ‘high quality’ as other VAG marques, this is easily the best car interior durability from 13 VAG cars I’ve owned over the past decade.

In summary, I’m no Seat fan boy, but I chose a Cupra ST over a Golf R estate when I recently replaced my Octavia, so the Leon can’t be that bad.

zeffania

Nov 4, 2016
Crank oil seal on mine went, currently on 75k, 63 plate. That is about it. I get a decent mpg, 55 on my 25-31 mile run to work and 30s when you have a bit of fun in it :D

caz95

Jan 6, 2019
Beast of a car I've put 10k on mine since getting it in November. Had no problems at all. Got it remapped in May, mpg has remained about the same could easily get 55+ if I sat in the outside lane. Can smoke the majority of other cars for a laugh it's only the 2.0 tsi hatches that are quicker :harhar:

Green Mamba

Feb 22, 2008
Warwickshire
64 plate, PCP deal second hand then bought it out. 8K miles, now over 60K miles. Only major problem I've had is the fuel filler cap release valve seizing, which was replaced for about £80.

Check for any signs of underside body/frame rust, as I'm aware it's building up a bit on mine.

Unizz

Jul 5, 2017
I'm approaching 100k mileage on mine soon, any idea what I should replace or start thinking about replacing??

Symon

Dec 23, 2011
Oxfordshire
Thanks for the help everone on this and a bit of an update.
I had a test drive in the car yesterday and was going to buy, but I couldn't get the dealer to do a satisfactory deal with regard to my existing vehicle.

I might still go for it, and sell my BMW privately, as it would make me a few grand better off but it would mean a temporary dip into our savings.

The other issue is that they have another leon in stock which is Metallic Blue which for me is a much nicer colour than the grey one which I had a drive in...

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.