Mk3 Infotainment and iPhone 5

NMGMarques

Hi all.

Need to hear from other iPhone users out there. I have a pet peeve that is driving me berserk. I had an Android phone. My contacts were using Facebook, Twitter and Google+ Profile pics as the contact pics and whenever the car connected to the phone via Bluetooth it'd display the contacts in the infotainment with the respective pics. Then I went and got myself promoted and a new company iPhone 5. I know, it's a piece of crap compared to almost any decent Android phone, but it's company policy so I can't do much there. I have the contacts in there and again, the iPhone is pulling the contact pics from social media. Some contacts I have manually set the pic in Outlook and the exchange server pushed the contact to the phone. In other cases I set the contact photo on the device, choosing from a photo, and that worked and even synced the pic back to the exchange server and consequently Outlook. The trouble is that independent of whether I just connect to the infotainment via Bluetooth or the cable in the glovebox, or even if I import the contacts from the damned phone (and it's only importing 277 of 340 btw for some reason), I only get the contacts and none display the pic associated with said contact.

Also, while I'm here, is there any way to use the controls on the steering to choose a contact from the phonebook besides the ones in the recent calls? Sometimes I need to get to a contact and voice commands won't recognize the name (some foreign names are hard for the infotainment system) and I don't really fancy taking my eyes off the road for so long as having to scroll through the names and selecting the appropriate contact info. This seems like a big stupid issue.

Appreciate any info and insight you guys may have.

PS: Despite this, I love my FR :)

Last edited by a moderator:

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
Hi all.

Also, while I'm here, is there any way to use the controls on the steering to choose a contact from the phonebook besides the ones in the recent calls? Sometimes I need to get to a contact and voice commands won't recognize the name (some foreign names are hard for the infotainment system) and I don't really fancy taking my eyes off the road for so long as having to scroll through the names and selecting the appropriate contact info. This seems like a big stupid issue.

PS: Despite this, I love my FR :)

Not possible as far as I am aware unfortunately - you can only access recent contacts.

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
Concentrate on driving rather than worrying about phone calls.

Phones should be banned in cars while driving.

Pull over if you must talk to someone.

If that is the case, perhaps we should remove any form of infotainment from cars? I really hope you don't have sat nav, cd player, or wait for it, a radio in your car??

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Strangely enough I have never succeeded in holding a conversation with **************** while listening to her.

Is there something wrong with my Infotainment system?

Last edited:

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
Any infotainment system is as much of a distraction as using a hands-free system. So if you believe people should be 'concentrating on driving' then the point is entirely valid.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Any infotainment system is as much of a distraction as using a hands-free system. So if you believe people should be 'concentrating on driving' then the point is entirely valid.

Well there is a valid argument that any distraction is bad for road safety. That of course will also apply to talking to a passenger or shouting at your kids!

It's just a question of degree. Answering a phone call on hands free is no worse than answering a question from your passengers. Having to worry about dialling a number could be construed as a distraction. Voice control as in "call Fred" is OK but worrying about contact pictures is another matter.

On another point, if the iPhone is crap why are 764 million people using IOS 7?

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
Right getting back on topic for the oringinal post instead of trashing his legit thread.

It's not possible to get picture support on the infotainment system as the iPhone doesn't support the Bluetooth protocol required for picture support. This may be changed in a iOS update in the future but knowing apple i wouldnt put money on it.

Some cars (earlier builds) allow the phonebook in the DIS. The demo FR I had supported this but my SE doesn't. So my guess if you are not one of the very first build weeks then you won't have this feature and only have the "Recent Calls" list.

Hope this helps.

NMGMarques

Right getting back on topic for the oringinal post instead of trashing his legit thread.

It's not possible to get picture support on the infotainment system as the iPhone doesn't support the Bluetooth protocol required for picture support. This may be changed in a iOS update in the future but knowing apple i wouldnt put money on it.

Some cars (earlier builds) allow the phonebook in the DIS. The demo FR I had supported this but my SE doesn't. So my guess if you are not one of the very first build weeks then you won't have this feature and only have the "Recent Calls" list.

Hope this helps.

Well it doesn't help but it's valid information and it's not your fault either ;) Anyhow, cheers for the info mate!

As for the contact pic support, I fear you are right. See, it's these small issues that make me despise iOS so much. Almost any other phone out there works fine, yet iPhone is heralded as the pinnacle of mobile tech. Yeah, right. It's riddled with issues. I don't care if I start the mother of all flame wars, but having used Android and iPhone and knowing my way around tech, I can say (and do say quite often really and to all that will listen) that Apple products are nice and polished and smooth, but are total crap when it comes to performance and features. My old HTC Desire runs circles around my iPhone 5. Won't even mention what this is compared to my wife's SIII.

The phone book issue seems like a really big issue that seems to have been overlooked or whatnot. It's really a very stupid and massive oversight. Yeah, you can use the main screen but that means way too much distraction. Glancing down to the small info screen is way less dangerous than having to operate the touchscreen while driving. Can't believe SEAT missed something this big and still hasn't done anything to correct it.