MK3 Leon SC unveil

seatturbopower

Aug 1, 2012
birmingham
.....................after seing the pictures ill think ill stick with my mk1 cupra 180 face lift model[B)]
i cant see anythink in that car that shouts to me at all,just another car on the street,christ even the new ford ST would get a 2nd look at from ppl in the street,even the old ford ST RS500.
lets be honest:blink: head turner................................:rolleyes:hmmmmm not sure about that:( prob just the shape of the body is all over the place,and as for the lights,relay why bother,wonder on how much one is to replace if smashed :whistle:

Bobanegra

Oct 15, 2010
Stirling
I'm just back from a 2 week break in Spain (split Majorca/Barcelona) and the number of new Leons on the roads was impressive - it's the first time I've seen them in the flesh and there was a range in colours and spec on show. It looks like a tremendous car and with the reviews I've read so far the Mk3 could be a big hit for SEAT.

The Mk3 Leon FRs with the LED lights were easily the pick of the bunch, I saw a few in red and one in black which looked superb, the two new shades of blue on SE models looked really nice - preferring the darker one (Apollo?) at the minute.

I may need to get my hands on one in the near future.

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
I'm just back from a 2 week break in Spain (split Majorca/Barcelona) and the number of new Leons on the roads was impressive - it's the first time I've seen them in the flesh and there was a range in colours and spec on show. It looks like a tremendous car and with the reviews I've read so far the Mk3 could be a big hit for SEAT.

The Mk3 Leon FRs with the LED lights were easily the pick of the bunch, I saw a few in red and one in black which looked superb, the two new shades of blue on SE models looked really nice - preferring the darker one (Apollo?) at the minute.

I may need to get my hands on one in the near future.

Yup Apollo

I love it just an SE 1.6TDI with a few extras such as lights and what not.

Last edited:

S.E.C.T.

kiss my face
Jun 14, 2009
The North
That is a nice colour.

I saw a new Leon round town the other day, I just cant take to it. Perhaps when I see a sporty model I might like it more. I still don't think the Mk3 lives up to the design of the Mk1 or 2. It seems too similar to other cars about at the moment which may be good for sales but it doesnt stand out enough for me

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
To be fair I think the design is quite colour sensitive. Personally I think mine looks quite conservative in comparrison to the red, white and black especially. I think the FR set down a bit looks better still. Mine will stay this way - no mods. I'll be trading it it for an FR in 24 months or so I think. The sunroof model with the black roof definatley adds another dimension.

Bizzarre thing is personally I think SEAT have designed this car with the LED lights very much in mind. Again those lights really kick off the design.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Boom: http://www.seatcupra.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1361&Itemid=1

SeatCupra.net first drive of the SC. :)

main.php

Scott

knoted

Oct 23, 2012
They were responding to criticism from the motoring press, and though its not hugely problematic to me as a Mk2 owner, the A pillar could be better.

Yeah, but that's more like companies altering their product based upon focus groups 'research' but the results never come out as representative of the real market demands.,

In fact, any A pillar can be better. The A pillar in the Audi Q5 of my dad, bothers me more than the A pillar in my own mk2.

Last edited:

Walpurgis

Feb 5, 2013
I've been looking at the SC configurator that is now online on SEAT's German site and see that SC prices there start at just €14,890 (about £12,650), compared to £15,370 in the UK.

This is partly because the SC is €500 (£425) cheaper there than the five-door model. Also their entry-level SC uses the 86hp 1.2TSi engine that is not available in the UK, and their VAT rate is 19%.

But even at that low price, the entry-level SC appears to get sports seats. It takes 11.8 seconds to reach 100km/h!

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Yeah, but that's more like companies altering their product based upon focus groups 'research' but the results never come out as representative of the real market demands.,

In fact, any A pillar can be better. The A pillar in the Audi Q5 of my dad, bothers me more than the A pillar in my own mk2.

The speaker at the media event was explaining that in the past that some of the engineering was forced to play second fiddle to the designers vision. With the Mk3 they have collaborated more closely to keep both the engineering and design to a practical level.

They have obviously highlighted the A pillar as being an element at that time where design exceeded practical engineering. Not to say it was terrible, but that it could of been done better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

knoted

Oct 23, 2012
The speaker at the media event was explaining that in the past that some of the engineering was forced to play second fiddle to the designers vision. With the Mk3 they have collaborated more closely to keep both the engineering and design to a practical level.

They have obviously highlighted the A pillar as being an element at that time where design exceeded practical engineering. Not to say it was terrible, but that it could of been done better.

Well, they lost me now.

My next car is either going to be another mk2 or simply another brand. I'm really trying to like the mk3 design but so far it infuriates me increasingly.

Congrats to the people who like their mk3's though :)

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
No design will ever be all things to all people.

Still got to have the haters as much as the lovers.

The Mk2 was no different in both the praise that was heaped upon it and those who hated it and maybe still do.

However they are machines for a purpose and they don't possess any feelings. ;)

It's only the human element that gets passionate about aesthetics of a design.

If a design initiates a response it's being noticed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

knoted

Oct 23, 2012
No design will ever be all things to all people.

Still got to have the haters as much as the lovers.

The Mk2 was no different in both the praise that was heaped upon it and those who hated it and maybe still do.
Of course and I understand that. But I always liked the mk1 and mk2 from their respective starts.

It's only the human element that gets passionate about aesthetics of a design.
Exactly, and I'm sure that's how a majority of mk1/mk2 owners feel about their cars, including myself.

If a design initiates a response it's being noticed.
Yes, but that's a reaction in either a positive manner to a change or in a negative manner to a change. I'm certainly not saying it's a bad design, but it's really not my cup of tea. The SC version emphasizes this even more. From my point of view, the aesthetics look neo-retro, and I'm just not looking for that.

I'm sure Seat realizes they win some they lose some.

But the variety of reactions to the mk3 isn't constricted to only the current Seat drivers of course. A buddy of mine who's driving a VW Polo at the moment, plans to buy a new car somewhere in 2014. He's looking to upscale to either a Golf 7 GTD or... a new Seat. He has always liked the mk2, but due to budget constraints back then, he bought a VW Polo.
Now, it just happens to be he doesn't like the mk3 at all.

Result; minus 2 potential buyers.

Last edited:

EndlessNameless

Keep it Maximum
Jun 26, 2012
But the variety of reactions to the mk3 isn't constricted to only the current Seat drivers of course. A buddy of mine who's driving a VW Polo at the moment, plans to buy a new car somewhere in 2014. He's looking to upscale to either a Golf 7 GTD or... a new Seat. He has always liked the mk2, but due to budget constraints back then, he bought a VW Polo.
Now, it just happens to be he doesn't like the mk3 at all.

Result; minus 2 potential buyers.

I hated the mk2 first time I saw it. Now I drive one :shrug:

The mk3 is much more conservative (excessively so in the case of the SC in my opinion), and therefore ought to have a wider appeal, but by doing that it's less likely to appeal to those who liked the mk2. Personally for me the mk3 SC is very reminiscent of an A3, which is a car so boring you could actually forget you own one, so I won't be getting one either...

But I don't buy new cars anyhow, the mk3 might be on my short list in 3 years time when they're nicely depreciated and I've had time to change my mind ;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.