Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are now available from our online store. We've also updated our terms and conditions so check them out too.

Mk3 Leon st subwoofer wiring

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3' started by James_FRwagon, Oct 18, 2018.

1. James_FRwagon

James_FRwagon New Member

hi all, I’m very new here. I’ve just bagged myself a Leon FR estate and instantly feel the need to fit a subwoofer. Would anyone be kind enough to share experiences with power cable routing and also hi-low converter wires ie where’s best to splice into the rear speaker wires and what colour wires to splice!

Thanks in advance.

Oh and if anyone knows one of them cool vagcom guys in Coventry hook me up with their details!

2. Damo H

Damo H That Carbon snob down the street...

Someone on the Seat Sound retro fit thread has done it with under Seat subs. :)

3. James_FRwagon

James_FRwagon New Member

Thanks mate I’ll try to find it!

4. ChrisHuddie

ChrisHuddie Full Member

I actually put a hi-flo converter into the back of the headunit in the glove box straight into the loom, i have a diagram somewhere i'll have a look for it, and then tucked it away behind so you'd never know it was there, But as yours is an estate probably a better idea to tap into a rear speaker.

5. James_FRwagon

James_FRwagon New Member

Was thinking that tbh. But can’t seem to find a wiring diagram to tap into the right wires. Will probably go from behind the head unit. Or do some more digging

6. James_FRwagon

James_FRwagon New Member

Although. Cba removing head units, going from a speaker wire between front and rear doors would be way more ideal

7. HiTnRuN

HiTnRuN New Member

Hi mate,
    I am looking to do the exact same but i want to be certain of the wiring before I do anything. Any chance you still have that diagram?
    Cheers

Damo H likes this.
  8. Wastedagen

Wastedagen Full Member

This is the pin diagram for the big black plug on the back of unit in glove box.... The circled pins are the tweeters... Door speakers are on the right of that...

[​IMG]

When I installed my 2 underseat subs, I tapped off the front door speakers... Left door speaker to left sub, right door speaker to right sub..These subs take both high level and low level inputs.

[​IMG]

Simple subs made a huge difference in sound.....These Kenwoods are perfect size. They won't blow out the back window, but there's enough base to vibrate the rear view mirror...

#8 Wastedagen, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  9. HiTnRuN

HiTnRuN New Member

Those look really tidy mate, fits well and hidden! I went for an old school 12" vibe all in 1 unit, had it from 10 years ago! The speakers sound ok but are missing that kick, i think it will make all the difference!

I've ordered all the bits and bobs, i am going to use scotch lock wire connectors to speed up and make the job easier, also ordered the hi low converter, went for the vibe one because it does the remote switch too but I think it may also need a power source too?

Which of the above connections would be the correct source for power?

#9 HiTnRuN, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  10. Wastedagen

Wastedagen Full Member

I only got my speaker inputs from the pins above...

I tapped off of the main cable from the battery inside the cabin under the dash....This is the main 12v feed from battery. So I see no point in trying to fight my way through the bulkhead....

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    The yellow power to amp is zipped tied to aid in stress relief and obviously taped up to protect it.

The remote I tapped off the 12 cig lighter... Ignition 12v.

[​IMG]

Fuse 20A using a splice fuse...

[​IMG]

11. The Swed

The Swed Member

I really like this sub solution [​IMG]

12. Wastedagen

Wastedagen Full Member

13. HiTnRuN

HiTnRuN New Member

I received my converter but i am unsure which wires from the above diagram for the glove box unit to connect to the converter.

20181112_190938_HDR.jpg

Yellow: +12V DC input
    Black: Ground
    Blue: +12V DC output

Which wires in the diagram would i connect to the above wires for the converter?The speakers are obvious and not as ambiguous.

Routing the cables is easy, i have the scotch quick connects which also save time and helps so i would much rather do this my self rather than spend money, only the above is hindering.

If anyone could help, it would be appreciated!

Cheers

14. Wastedagen

Wastedagen Full Member

The yellow is your 12v input say from ignition or any 12v switched feed.

Don't do it direct from battery otherwise your converter will always be on and so will your amp/s.....even when you lock and leave the car resulting in dead battery.

The black is a simple earth.

The blue wire is a 12v output. This is your remote wire going to your amp. This automatically turns on the amp as soon as your converter receives a 12v input from the switched ignition....

I would probably tap my ignition 12v (yellow) from the cigerette lighter and just earth the black wire to nearest convenient bolt or screw.

#14 Wastedagen, Nov 13, 2018 at 8:20 PM
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018 at 8:57 PM
    Walone likes this.