Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Mk3 Leon st subwoofer wiring

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3 (2012-2020)' started by James_FRwagon, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Mods mods mods

Here you go. Any questions just ask.

EDIT: In the video I mention the black cable in the footwell, I meant the red one. That's the one I used for the perm live feed as per the picture I posted earlier in the thread.

#41 Lozzy15, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
  2. Phil-osopher10

Phil-osopher10 Active Member

That was a fantastic help! I ran it the way you have and all seems to be working! I'll be able to give it a proper test run over the next week to see what it's like.

Awkward enough to install, but a few hours has you done!

3. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Mods mods mods

Glad to help

4. Phil-osopher10

So I haven't been able to hear as well as I would have liked this week, with a cold and all. Clearing up now though.

I generally listen to rock music, and would rarely have dance tunes on in the car, so take this with a pinch of salt. I also play bass, hence wanting a little more than the stock speakers, though they're fairly decent.

Pros
    Adds subtle depth to the system
    Makes it easier to hear the bass when driving at motorway speeds
    Does what it's supposed to do
    £100 - fairly cheap
    Easy enough to install (once you get a little help)

Cons
    One puts the sound off balance, I hear it all from the passengers seat (earth lead not very long, wouldn't reach to the drivers side, I'm not sure if there are any earth points on the drivers side)
    Clarity isn't the best, it adds depth but can be a little muddled when complicated bass lines come in.

Improvements
    2 of them, I think this would seriously improve the sound and be greater than the sum of the parts.
    Maybe upgrade the speaker to say the focal ibis, which would be a little clearer I think.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it and would do it again.

5. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Mods mods mods

I was looking at maybe upgrading the speakers in the doors. I did also think to fit 2 of them should cash permit at some point. As you said it does add depth to the system.

6. Wastedagen

Wastedagen Active Member

Exactly what I thought so that's what I did. And it made a big difference in spreading the bass around the inside of the car.

[​IMG]

Also mine sounds better 180° out of phase. Yours may differ......

Lozzy15 likes this.
  7. Phil-osopher10

When I was looking about, I think focal had a specific VW golf set you could buy, which would be a straight swap.

Though the Leon speakers are decent imo

Lozzy15 likes this.
  8. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Mods mods mods

I have tried it 180 out on mine but it sounds better in phase for me.

Yea they are fairly good for OEM none Seat Sound spec, however I'm always looking for upgrades :whistle:

Wastedagen likes this.
  9. Walone

Walone Active Member

According to the wiring diagram for my car (2016MY with MIB2 High - 8 speakers) the wiring is different to 'Wastedagen's' diagram,
    the rear/right speaker bass & treble are connected to pins 1 & 5 on block A, the rear/left speaker bass & treble to pins 4 & 8, the front/right treble to pins 2 & 6, the front/left treble to pins 3 & 7, the front/right bass to pins 9 & 13 on block D and the front/left bass speaker to pins 10 & 14.
    Looking at the plug on my car this looks correct as the wires going to pins 2, 3, 6 and 7 (front treble spkrs) are thinner gauge than the other pins.
    When Seat Sound is activated pins 9 & 13 are connected to the subwoofer and pins 10 & 14 to the centre dash speaker, the wires that were on those pins for the front left & right speakers are connected to the corresponding pins used for the front tweeters.

Wastedagen and Lozzy15 like this.
  10. Phil-osopher10

Just put of curiosity, I assume I can just extend the earth cable? It's not long enough to reach below drivers seat. Would I just get a 14 guage wire and connect the two with and cover with electric tape/ heat shrink?

11. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Mods mods mods

Yea you can extend it if you need to.

12. MH0

MH0 Active Member

Quick Question. I have a Sony XS-NW1202E - subwoofer 1800w and a Pioneer 1600W amp. What HI-LOW converter would I need. Also, do you guys know what the prices of these are?

Many thanks

13. williamxb

williamxb Active Member

The amp might have a high-level input already - if not then a brief Google puts a hi-low level converter at £5-10 off eBay.