Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are now available from our online store.

Mk3 worst piece of junk ever

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3' started by Evaro, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Evaro

Evaro Full Member

1.2tsi 2014

Owned the car for 2 years now
    After 6 months it needed new clutch at 26000 miles. At 28000 car suffered catastrophic engine failure and needed basically a new engine now at 31000 it again needs a new clutch the car belongs to the mrs and she is a right Sunday driver. Without her knowing I’ve been watching her drive the car as I had a feeling she was the reason the 1st clutch needed replacement however after watching how she drives I don’t think she had anything to do with it.

The 1st clutch was apparently changed by my dealer under a good will gesture as it was slipping whilst accelerating from 3rd gear upwards. Is it possible they could have just made some adjustments to it to stop it slipping for a short while? 2 clutches in less than 6000 miles is for me just beyond belief

Should I just sack the car off and get the 184fr tdi

2. Big Col

Big Col Full Member

You've clearly lost faith in it.
    You've had your 2 years out it, trade it in and move on.

gof and theoldboy like this.
  3. LouG

LouG Full Member

Could it be that it was abused for two years before you got it? Another reason I prefer new vehicles. Too many owners give zero f**ks and treat them as disposable, leaving incipient problems for the next poor mug.

Seastormer, Walone, xyz and 1 other person like this.
  4. DEAN0

DEAN0 Old Git

Same here

And now that GDPR helps to hide a lease/rental car by not showing the previous keeper - you have no idea who was the previous owner

theoldboy likes this.
  5. BoomerBoom

BoomerBoom Full Member

I had a brand new VW Touran in 2006, within the three years I had it they changed the dual mass flywheel, tandem pump, ABS pump and then clutch - about £4k of work, all under warranty and I was never happy with the economy or torque. There was no way I'd have kept that car outside the warranty period.

The next new Touran arrived in 2009 and I kept it nine years, an efficient and good towing car which it only ever needed tyres and servicing. Both were driven in exactly the same way, same service regime etc.

Some cars are just built to be dogs - get rid of it.

Mr Pig likes this.
  6. Oldbutswift

Oldbutswift Full Member

Yes, get rid.
    Also my feeling would be get a bigger engine in future.
    The Leon is not a small car and I would go for a something bigger than a 1.2.
    Modern technology might make smallish engines quite powerful with good mpg, but longevity is another matter.

Seastormer, DEAN0 and theoldboy like this.
  7. Walone

Walone Full Member

WTF! that I did not know! Ridiculous.

stepdey likes this.
  8. Seastormer

Seastormer Cupra 280/CBF1000

Agree with the bigger engine idea, my Cupra is now coming up 5 years, driven hard (once the oil is up to 80) and the only thing replaced are tyres and one rear misted lens (under warranty) Will be keeping for a while longer as the new ones are now not 3 door and none do the 5.5 that auto express got both times they tested the 280.

9. Jordan Neill

Jordan Neill Full Member

What's the warranty clause for misted lenses?? I have a 280 with both misty

10. Seastormer

Seastormer Cupra 280/CBF1000

Don't know mate, just took it to my dealer and they knew about the fault and swapped the lens for a new one.

11. KXL

KXL KXL

Under warranty, they swapped my rear right outer 'permanently' condensed/misty lens for a new one after I had it a year. Fronts, they would sometimes be misty, but usually it went away after awhile. I had a Leon 2.0TDI DSG ex-management car, 2k miles, I had it till 10k miles. No issues (but rattles galore! all rattles fixed 3 months before return), previous new Seat Ibiza 1.0TSI DSG, gave it back after 11k miles, no issues either (and no rattles despite 40 profile tyres and sports suspension. Volvo V40, 1 month from new, already been to the dealer to fix something under warranty.

#11 KXL, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  12. Mr Pig

Mr Pig Full Member

I had three rear lights with water in and the dealer just fobbed me off. Best of luck.

13. Jordan Neill

Jordan Neill Full Member

Ahh brilliant! Going to try a blah my best then

14. CupraGeezer

CupraGeezer Full Member

Another one of those issues that depends very much on the dealer you happen to be dealing with. When I had my 280 SC serviced two months before the warrantee ran out, my dealer changed one of the rear lights without me having mentioning it.

This was the first time that I'd been there so this wasn't based on any previous relationship. Might have been different if three of them needed changing though.

15. Mr Pig

Mr Pig Full Member

Even what sort of mood they are in. I've found the same dealer very helpful at other times. It really can be a lottery.