MK4 Brake Upgrades

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
anyone know where the cheapest place to get 312mm discs and pads are?

also can i get any 312mm discs with 5 stud fitment...? have seen some for a vw gold 4 motion vr6 that are quite cheap?

or is it best to stick to the mintex stuff

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
anyone know where the cheapest place to get 312mm discs and pads are?

also can i get any 312mm discs with 5 stud fitment...? have seen some for a vw gold 4 motion vr6 that are quite cheap?

or is it best to stick to the mintex stuff

Euro car parts and GSF are quite competitive. Some sellers on ebay offer Mintex discs and pads for around £90

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
Euro car parts and GSF are quite competitive. Some sellers on ebay offer Mintex discs and pads for around £90

cheers mate...is the 90 quid set good value? or do you think i could find it cheaper at euro car parts? think i have seen the set for 84 quid online...

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Which discs and pads would I need to go with the TT calipers and carriers that I bought? I was going to get them from the TT shop but they wanted £80 for the discs and £50 for the pads, surely the same parts can be had cheaper elsewhere?

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Which discs and pads would I need to go with the TT calipers and carriers that I bought? I was going to get them from the TT shop but they wanted £80 for the discs and £50 for the pads, surely the same parts can be had cheaper elsewhere?

The ones Altech mentioned - Mintex plain discs and 2041 pads.
They are what I have on my 312`s, paid £90 and they`re very good for the price.

Bodygard

Anyone knows where i can get 312mm/323mm BREMBO complete brake kits (calipers, discs etc) for Ibiza MK4?
For the 323mm i'll need 17" wheels right?
Thanks

IAH-FR

hi, i am due for an upgrade on my brakes, i have an 2006 ibiza FR tdi and have the standard 17" FR alloys. Is it just a straight fit for the TT discs? do i need to buy new callipers too? or can i use the same ones? is the brembo kit a straight fit also? or do i need to make any adjustments?

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
hi, i am due for an upgrade on my brakes, i have an 2006 ibiza FR tdi and have the standard 17" FR alloys. Is it just a straight fit for the TT discs? do i need to buy new callipers too? or can i use the same ones? is the brembo kit a straight fit also? or do i need to make any adjustments?

For the 312mm TT conversion you will need calipers, carriers, discs and pads.

Calipers are ATE 54 type from:
Audi TT mk1(not 3.2) /Skoda octavia VRS /mk4 Golf anniversary / mk1 Audi S3.

I don`t know a lot about the brembo stuff sorry.

IAH-FR

For the 312mm TT conversion you will need calipers, carriers, discs and pads.

Calipers are ATE 54 type from:
Audi TT mk1(not 3.2) /Skoda octavia VRS /mk4 Golf anniversary / mk1 Audi S3.

I don`t know a lot about the brembo stuff sorry.

Thats great thanks. What kind of cost are you talking about for all of it? And the 312mm TT parts are all direct fit? Also i take it that its only the front brakes you have changed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Thats great thanks. What kind of cost are you talking about for all of it? And the 312mm TT parts are all direct fit? Also i take it that its only the front brakes you have changed?

I got all my bits for about £170 - that`s second-hand calipers and carriers, and a new set of Mintex discs and pads as mentioned above (£90). The average people pay though seems to be about £200.

All parts are direct fit, you just need to bleed them after fitting. Here`s a guide: clicky

At the same time - well, a week before I put some new discs on the rear and some EBC Ultimax pads, just so they are up to scratch.

You can fit the 256mm rear brakes from the VAG range as an upgrade (standard are 239mm) but this will cost you as much if not more than the 312 front conversion... and even the Cupra uses 239mm rears even though it has 312`s, so there`s little point in doing this upgrade as they are good enough as long as they are serviceable.

IAH-FR

I got all my bits for about £170 - that`s second-hand calipers and carriers, and a new set of Mintex discs and pads as mentioned above (£90). The average people pay though seems to be about £200.

All parts are direct fit, you just need to bleed them after fitting. Here`s a guide: clicky

At the same time - well, a week before I put some new discs on the rear and some EBC Ultimax pads, just so they are up to scratch.

You can fit the 256mm rear brakes from the VAG range as an upgrade (standard are 239mm) but this will cost you as much if not more than the 312 front conversion... and even the Cupra uses 239mm rears even though it has 312`s, so there`s little point in doing this upgrade as they are good enough as long as they are serviceable.

Thats great thanks! I am in Northern Ireland, I have priced the parts up here and the carriers are costing £122.75 + VAT each, in total it is near £400 + VAT for the lot. Is there anywhere online that you can order them from?

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Thats great thanks! I am in Northern Ireland, I have priced the parts up here and the carriers are costing £122.75 + VAT each, in total it is near £400 + VAT for the lot. Is there anywhere online that you can order them from?

Yeesh that`s a lot mate!
Got mine off ebay, there`s always a set or two on there. If you`re not bothered about them being new here`s a set: click He wants a lot for them but the thing is, people have got wise to how sought after they are.

Some have got their conversion from "The TT shop", I`ve never been on there but maybe give them a try?

FR_MATT

Jun 2, 2010
I've tried searching and although mentioned there are sometimes problems with the Leon setup, I can't find what the problems are?

I only ask as SERE motors has 40% on all pads discs and carriers so it could work out fairly reasonably.... I'm guessing it is something to do with the carriers/calipers that is the problem, so would I be correct in thinking I could get OEM Seat 312mm discs and pads and fit them to calipers and carriers from ebay/ thettshop?

soupz

Oct 16, 2010
Omagh, N.Ireland
Hey folks. Buying a 312mm complete system off a fella, anything in particular to look out for? Its got the calipers, carriers, pads, discs, & hoses. Anyhing else i need to put it on an 06 FR? Any idea how much this should cost to get fitted? I could probably fit it all myself but i don't know much about bleeding brakes. Cheers.

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Sounds like all you need mate, are the pads and discs new? Id replace at least the pads if they have already been used. You wont even need the hoses as standard ones fit, may save a small amount of effort. Think i paid about 50 quid to be fitted on my old fr if that helps :)

soupz

Oct 16, 2010
Omagh, N.Ireland
Naw unfortunately not, used pads & discs. Although they seem to have very little use, no lip or anything & pads are very thick. I'd like to upgrade the pads & grooved discs, but if this setup would at least get me going (or hopefully stopping! lol) then that can be done at a later date. Think i read somewhere on here that its best to use the hoses on them as they're slightly longer so gives abit more play. Thanks anyway :)

May 6, 2009
Northallerton, N yorks
Yeh id heard that too but tested on full lock and standards were plenty long enough, just slightly less hassle if you were fitting yourself :p

Id not bother with second hand pads and just swap them whilst everything is off, will work miles better and make allot more difference. Even drilled and grooved discs are nice and cheap for 312mm but if moneys not free at the mo then fair doo's, i know that situation haha

denMla

Mar 27, 2010
Croatia
Hi! Guess this is the place to... place :) my question!
Got 2003 sport mk4 PD100 with std 255mm front disks and ABS, EBD, TCS etc., and rear brakes are also disks (think 233mm? not sure!).
Got an ofer to buy hoses from Audi A3 1,8T (year is '01. or 02.), and 288mm disks with calipers and pads.
Can anybody confirm me that those parts would fit to my Biza?
Is it possible that my brake senzors (ABS....) wont fit? Or anything else I'm not aware of?

And if it fit, would in some later period that hoses be fine for 312mm VRS or TT upgrade? Can't do it at once cause it wont fit under my current 15" rims, so I plan to do it later when I buy bigger wheels.
Thanx for anny responce!