Mk4 Bulb upgrades

Macks

So what's basically been concluded over all of the pages on this thread? Im not really understanding all of this H7 and H4 and stuff.. Is it different parts of the light as in full beam or sidelights? or what.. Ive currently got some Bright white led's that im going to fit after i get a HID kit. Which is the best brand/type of set to go with.. Will i just need to get one kit or will i need more?

Cheers for any help im a bit of a noob.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
So what's basically been concluded over all of the pages on this thread? Im not really understanding all of this H7 and H4 and stuff.. Is it different parts of the light as in full beam or sidelights? or what.. Ive currently got some Bright white led's that im going to fit after i get a HID kit. Which is the best brand/type of set to go with.. Will i just need to get one kit or will i need more?

Cheers for any help im a bit of a noob.

Alright mate, There are two types of headlight setup on the mk4 Ibiza... one type uses one bulb to do dipped and main beam (single reflector), and one type uses one bulb for dip and another for main beam (twin reflector).

The type of bulb for single reflector is a H4, and for twin reflector it`s a H7(dipped), and H3(main beam).

All mk4`s take a 501 fitment sidelight.

As for HID`s most people will say a kit from www.hids4u.co.uk or a budget kit from ebay. The kit will come with two ballasts, two bulbs and the required wiring so you don`t need anything else except maybe some cable ties.
I would decide which colour you want the bulbs to be first, because HID bulbs are`nt cheap: 4300K - standard yellow/white
5000K - pure white
6000K - light blue
8000K - deep blue
10000K VERY blue!

Oh... if your car has double reflectors I would recommend H7R bulbs not H7 as the are designed to reduce glare so you don`t blind everyone!

Macks

Right right, my headlights look like this.. Im guessing these are single reflectors right?

w ww.seat-ibiza-mk4.co.uk/ibiza_photo_galleries/004/seat_ibiza_sx_006.jpg

Sorry i cant post urls as of yet i havent made 15 posts

If so does that mean i need one set of H4's, Will that cover both dipped beam and full beam? Or arent both needed?

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Yes, the single refector units take H4`s, so you will need what`s known as a Bi-xenon kit, this uses the same bulb for dip/main beam.

dave_chandler

My car has double reflector front lights. So this means i need to individual sets of ballasts, bulbs etc.
Does anyone know where i can get a decent set of H7 6500k at a nice price?
Cheers

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Right so are these H4 HID's definetly going to fit my 54 plate mk4 ibiza?

As you have the single reflector headlights then yes, they will fit. :D

My car has double reflector front lights. So this means i need to individual sets of ballasts, bulbs etc.
Does anyone know where i can get a decent set of H7 6500k at a nice price?
Cheers

If you buy one kit-(two ballasts+two bulbs), in H7... this will just be for your dipped beam.
If you wanted to convert your main beam too you would need a seperate H3 kit... but it`s not really the done thing to convert main beam too.

6500k seems quite rare, most bulbs are 4300, 5000, 6000, or 8000k.

Macks

Ok thats cool, Does anyone know of anywhere i can pick up some reasonably priced ones.. I know about HIDS4U and i was hoping for something slightly cheaper.. Are there any reputable ebay sellers that anyone else has bought some from that i can go with?

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Diane-shop on ebay are one of the cheapest, and most people that buy from there seem happy. Just make sure you get a Bi-xenon kit or you will have no main beam! ;)

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
I think a lot of people on here have had good things to say about diane-shop on ebay. From what I remember they come to about £45 for a kit. I havent used them though, so cant comment personaly.

LOL beat me to it! I think they are even cheaper now.
I went for the PRO kit from hids4u with 5000k H7R bulbs, with discount code: £85

tkjeeves

Blue
Jul 13, 2008
oxford
i played safe and went for HID4U's Ultimate kit 6000k version, very happy with them even with their premium price though i think by design they take a little longer to warm up

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
i played safe and went for HID4U's Ultimate kit 6000k version, very happy with them even with their premium price though i think by design they take a little longer to warm up

Yes, apparently they have a "softer" start.

dave_chandler

As you have the single reflector headlights then yes, they will fit. :D

If you buy one kit-(two ballasts+two bulbs), in H7... this will just be for your dipped beam.
If you wanted to convert your main beam too you would need a seperate H3 kit... but it`s not really the done thing to convert main beam too.

6500k seems quite rare, most bulbs are 4300, 5000, 6000, or 8000k.

Oh ok, i thought that the were 6500k not 6000k, but my bad!
does anyone know of anywhere i can by sets for both main and dipped beam at a decent price, or am i just better off just changing the dipped beam?

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Depends on how much night time driving you do. Perhaps start off with the dip bulbs (h7) and see how you go, if money is tight. Most people say that their dip beam with HIDs is better than the main beam with halogen bulbs. You can always add the main beam later if you want, although probably slightly easier if you do them at the same time.

The only other thing to mention is that you may get some radio interferance with some kits. Hids4U have changed their kits to reduce this, im not sure about other kits. I would also recomend going for a 55W kit as opposed to a 35W.

dave_chandler

Depends on how much night time driving you do. Perhaps start off with the dip bulbs (h7) and see how you go, if money is tight. Most people say that their dip beam with HIDs is better than the main beam with halogen bulbs. You can always add the main beam later if you want, although probably slightly easier if you do them at the same time.

The only other thing to mention is that you may get some radio interferance with some kits. Hids4U have changed their kits to reduce this, im not sure about other kits. I would also recomend going for a 55W kit as opposed to a 35W.

ive heard a few people mention the ebay shop diane-shop. do you have any experience of these hids?
How hard are they to fit? cant be that much work can it???

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.