Mk4 Bulb upgrades

dave_chandler

Yeah... I was blind and now I can see! :D

Glad I went for the H7R bulbs cos they look better to other drivers I reckon,
and nowhere near as much glare.

How hard were the kits to fit? how long did they take?

Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Glad I went for the H7R bulbs cos they look better to other drivers I reckon,
and nowhere near as much glare.

Yep, definately worth the extra money.

How hard were the kits to fit? how long did they take?

Very simple to fit.

1) Remove back cover of light
2) Cut hole the correct size in the back cover for the gromet which the wires run through
3) Replace halogen bulb with HID
4) Connect wires from bulb to ballest and ballest to old light wires
5) Attach ballest to car
6) Replace back cover
7) Repeat for other side!

dave_chandler

Yep, definately worth the extra money.

Very simple to fit.

1) Remove back cover of light
2) Cut hole the correct size in the back cover for the gromet which the wires run through
3) Replace halogen bulb with HID
4) Connect wires from bulb to ballest and ballest to old light wires
5) Attach ballest to car
6) Replace back cover
7) Repeat for other side!

Nice and easy then, just presume a bit fiddily to place the ballasts at the sides!

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
It depends how neat you want to be...
I removed the bumper to fit the ballasts on the crashbar, routed the cables through the gap under the lights and filed a chunk out of the bottom of the headlight cover (where the seal is) so I did`nt have to drill the 25mm hole in them.
As a result you can`t see the wires going into the back of the lights when you look at them.

Oh yeah, and don`t forget to adjust them after fitting!

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2008
Wiltshire / Bristol
Nice and easy then, just presume a bit fiddily to place the ballasts at the sides!

I did as Neo, and fitted them behind the fron bumper on the crash bar. Makes a realy neat job and theres plenty of space to fit them. Bumper removal sounds hard but is a simple job.

Macks

Hi guys, just been on Diane-shop now and im just wondering will these fit my mk4 ibiza. its a 54 plate.. Its got single reflectors so these should cover both beams right? And also another thing why is the price converted to dollars :S when its uk ebay?

PS: Sorry i cant post links i havent made 15 posts

h ttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BI-XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H4-6000K-HI-LO-DUAL-BEAM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZQ7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a30QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem45ec2acc05QQitemZ300314971141QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

dave_chandler

Hi guys, just been on Diane-shop now and im just wondering will these fit my mk4 ibiza. its a 54 plate.. Its got single reflectors so these should cover both beams right? And also another thing why is the price converted to dollars :S when its uk ebay?

PS: Sorry i cant post links i havent made 15 posts

h ttp://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BI-XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-H4-6000K-HI-LO-DUAL-BEAM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZQ7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a30QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem45ec2acc05QQitemZ300314971141QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

They are the bi-xenon thats you need. according to quite a few people on the forum the Diane-Shop are meant to have some quite high quality lights, at reasonable prices!

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
I can`t get that to work.
searched it though.. are they the ones from choi-q? If so then they are from the USA, which means the 2-year warranty is virtually useless!

dave_chandler

It depends how neat you want to be...
I removed the bumper to fit the ballasts on the crashbar, routed the cables through the gap under the lights and filed a chunk out of the bottom of the headlight cover (where the seal is) so I did`nt have to drill the 25mm hole in them.
As a result you can`t see the wires going into the back of the lights when you look at them.

Oh yeah, and don`t forget to adjust them after fitting!

Doing it this way would make a really neat job! Why do you need to drill a 25mm hole? How did you attach the ballast to the slam panel / crash bar?
how long did it take you in total to fit the lighs and re-fit the bumper?

dave_chandler

I can`t get that to work.
searched it though.. are they the ones from choi-q? If so then they are from the USA, which means the 2-year warranty is virtually useless!

you search for it if you remove the http// at the beginning.
I think i read somewhere that they will take the lights no matter where you are or what is wrong as long as it isnt your fault.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
I did`nt drill the hole, i filed a chunk out of the bottom of the cover and made sure the wires fed through it when I refitted them.

Last edited:

dave_chandler

I did`nt drill the hole, i filed a chunk out of the bottom of the cover and made sure the wires fed through it when I refitted them.

Got any pictures? if not where abouts do i have to file the hole?

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
you search for it if you remove the http// at the beginning.
I think i read somewhere that they will take the lights no matter where you are or what is wrong as long as it isnt your fault.

No I meant I went on ebay and searched the description.
What I meant by the warranty bieng useless is try getting a blub replaced after 18 months when they are in USA!

This is why I buy from the UK if it`s something that can go wrong.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Got any pictures? if not where abouts do i have to file the hole?

No pictures for the moment... What I did was fit all the kit to see where the 4 wires come to rest, and worked out that if I file a bit off the bottom then the wires can fit through and not get squished.

It`s the outside edge where the rubber seal fits - move it out of the way and take a file to it... I took off about 3mm then refitted the seal.

dave_chandler

No I meant I went on ebay and searched the description.
What I meant by the warranty bieng useless is try getting a blub replaced after 18 months when they are in USA!

This is why I buy from the UK if it`s something that can go wrong.

sorry my mistake, yeh i do agree about trying to get a bulb replaced from america though.
most people have said that they are quite good quality though

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009

dave_chandler

That looks ok, from hong-kong but lots of kits are, they do seem to do a HI/LO h4 kit too.
That listing is generic - make sure you buy the HI/LO kit AND specify this when you pay to avoid any c**k ups!

I dont need the hi/low ones as i have the double reflector front light

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Doing it this way would make a really neat job! Why do you need to drill a 25mm hole? How did you attach the ballast to the slam panel / crash bar?
how long did it take you in total to fit the lighs and re-fit the bumper?

Sorry, just realised I did`nt answer these!

The kits are usually supplied with a rubber grommet which holds the 4 wires together where they go into your light cluster, so most people have drilled a hole in the back of the cover just behind where the bulb sits.
I attatched the ballast using the sticky pad provided and a big cable-tie.
It took me 15 minutes to get the bumper off, 30 minutes to fix the ballasts/ route the cables and 10 to refit the bumper.
Then a few minutes to file the covers down and fit `em.

dave_chandler

Sorry, just realised I did`nt answer these!

The kits are usually supplied with a rubber grommet which holds the 4 wires together where they go into your light cluster, so most people have drilled a hole in the back of the cover just behind where the bulb sits.
I attatched the ballast using the sticky pad provided and a big cable-tie.
It took me 15 minutes to get the bumper off, 30 minutes to fix the ballasts/ route the cables and 10 to refit the bumper.
Then a few minutes to file the covers down and fit `em.

Doesnt seem too bad especially as it would look like a good job!
so the bumper is quite easy to remove then?
Do you think that kit would be ok for 6000k h7's?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.