MK4 Ibiza Cupra, Bent Tie / Steering Rod - Info Needed (PIC INCLUDED) - Now RESOLVED

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
Hello guys,

Im looking for some information on a tie / steering rod (highlighted red) and hopefully a part number as its a part I require to get my car back on the road. The wishbone was bent - now replaced. However I still require to get a tie rod to get the car back on the road. Please see the pic below. Any help is appreciated.

CIMG3649.jpg

Cheers ;)

Last edited:

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
Yes, I would get a new tie rod mate.

What side is it?

Part number is either: tie rod end / marked with left 'D' 6Q0423803E or tie rod end / marked with left 'D' 6Q0423804B or rod end / marked with right 'C' 6Q0423804E.

Have a look on vagcat.com mate http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/se/IB/2004/254/52/4734403/#2

Cheers Damoegan, Its the N/S (passenger side) What parts do you reckon i'd need? Just the rod or the rod and rod end? I dont understand the VAGCAT items on the left I know there number tied but what do I require? Cheers ;)

I hit a curb in the snow, theres a thread on it here somewhere.

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
Thanks again, Although there are two types for the MK4 Ibiza - TRW OR SMI-KOYO any idea what a 57 plate would be? Ive had a look on the rod its self and cant seem to find the letters. :confused:

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Thanks again, Although there are two types for the MK4 Ibiza - TRW OR SMI-KOYO any idea what a 57 plate would be? Ive had a look on the rod its self and cant seem to find the letters. :confused:

Sorry mate but I dont know. Try asking one of the dealers on here or a post in the mk4 parts thread.

malky39

Mar 12, 2008
Southside
Alright paddy if you dont mind me asking how much was you wishbone to replace, as i smacked my when and way out the cars in the garage now with them trying to find the culprit for the problem which now turns out not to only be the wishbone but something else

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland

I'd go to your local Seat dealer and pass him your reg number or VIN and he should be able to work out if its TRW or SMI-KOYO. One thing though, AFAIK if its TRW then all the steering parts will be TRW - that means that if you can reach the power steering reservoir filler cap, remove it and you should find that it has TRW moulded on to it - and the TRW cap has vertical gripping "lines" and the built in dipstick has a sort of mushroom end. I hope that helps a bit. Sorry but getting even the track rod end off can be a buggar (torx or hex insert in the top of it to stop it turning - my ar*e) - oh and get a new lock nut to lock the track rod end onto the track rod, just in case it also is a buggar to move - it will not cost much more!

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
Got this sorted out now folks - Got the new part delivered last night - Part Number was: TRW 6Q0423803E. Thanks for all your input, links and help ;)

I had a crack at fitting it myself last night, but to get the top end of the tie rod off you have to remove the wishbone, the only thing that was stopping me replacing it. Gave the insides a good cleanup though and my mate will sort it all out tomorrow for me. So the car should be running 100% by Saturday evening! :D

Last edited:

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
Alright paddy if you dont mind me asking how much was you wishbone to replace, as i smacked my when and way out the cars in the garage now with them trying to find the culprit for the problem which now turns out not to only be the wishbone but something else

I sourced the wishbone myself Malky. It came in including postage at £27. My mate who is a VW mechanic fitted it for nothing, gave him a tenner for doing it anyway (gotta sort the boys out!) so £37 all in.

He quoted that a dealer would have charged £82 for the wishbone then the labour charge on top of that which would have came to well over £100. So I was quite chuffed ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members