MK4 owners - Strut braces

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
If you have a MK4 and don't have a strut brace, GET ONE!

I got mine yesterday (many thanks to Ingy for picking it up for me) and the difference it has made is awesome...I CAN NOW GO ROUND BENDS NOW :D

I have to say it was the best £38 I have spent on it (I got mine on special offer BTW, thanks Martyn @ MK!)

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Unbolt two bolts on each side, put on the strut brace and bolt them back up to the correct torque...it's that simple :)

Steve_R

Hmm.......
Aug 18, 2002
Warwickshire
Visit site
Personally, I'm struggling to see how a lump of metal between the suspension turrets can vastly improve the handling of the car, but if it does, then it does and thats good enuff 4 me!:) Does it stop the car leaning at all, cos I cant drive with the windows open for fear of falling out whilst cornering......:redface:

Steve:)

Steve_R

Hmm.......
Aug 18, 2002
Warwickshire
Visit site
Originally posted by driveforward
It does drastically reduce the body roll - which is terrible in the mk4 ibiza - and also stiffens the ride over bumps etc. Well worth the £50.

Hokey dokey, I'm convinced and shall be getting one on payday:) Think I even saw one in stock in the dealers the other day so I could be in luck.....

:cheers:

Steve:D

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Originally posted by Yellow Cupra R
Ooo, I mite get one on payday then...:D

Soz to wander off thread a bit, but are your TT seats in yet? and have you got a picci??? Easy to put in or not???:confused:

I've got a guy looking into the viability of getting the seats in for me...it looks like it's a nice welding job to the seat frame!

Hopefully they should be in before Trax.

Steve_R

Hmm.......
Aug 18, 2002
Warwickshire
Visit site
Re: Insurance

Originally posted by SJFISHER67
What did you guys tell your insurance companies? I want to get one, but am unsure what the insurance people will say.

Regards

SJF67

Wouldnt have thought you would have 2 tell em anything really....:confused:

If you put stickier tyres on that make you go round corners quicker, does anyone tell them????

driveforward

Is at the Nürburgring
Nov 5, 2002
www.driveforward.com
I told my insurance company, and they said as it's not visible, doesn't increase performance and hasn't changed the suspension, it wouldn't cost me extra. I phoned up twice to speak to different people to confirm this.

edc

Blue Leather & Shiny Bits
Feb 8, 2002
Surrey
www.clairecoileytrust.com
It does drastically reduce the body roll - which is terrible in the mk4 ibiza - and also stiffens the ride over bumps etc. Well worth the £50.

Are you sure it drastically reduces body roll? That is what an ARB should do. The strut brace should just provide some extra rigidity to the chassis and reduce the movement in the suspension turrets.

slim_boy_fat

Originally posted by toXXin
Unbolt two bolts on each side, put on the strut brace and bolt them back up to the correct torque...it's that simple :)

Isnt there something already bolted on to the top of the strut tower. Not sure about the petrol but my TDI has something (not sure what think its something to do with the ABS)

Anyway doesnt it get in the way of the strut brace.

p.s. i am still very un convinced about the difference it would make.

Its a seat part so shouldn't do anything to invalidate the insurance.

slim_boy_fat

Yup a black box is mounted over the left strut on the TDi's. The brace comes with instructions on how to lift that up to fit it onto that side

So you realy noticed a difference then, not just your imagination.

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
How does a strut brace reduce body roll..?:confused:

Spring rates and ARB's should be doing that job.

The only way I can imagine tieing the 2 front strut tops together to improve, is reducing body flex............. which is this is the roll you feel, woudl indicate a well flexi shell.:eek:

Bill

Steve_R

Hmm.......
Aug 18, 2002
Warwickshire
Visit site
Originally posted by ibizacupra
How does a strut brace reduce body roll..?:confused:

Spring rates and ARB's should be doing that job.

The only way I can imagine tieing the 2 front strut tops together to improve, is reducing body flex............. which is this is the roll you feel, woudl indicate a well flexi shell.:eek:

Bill

This corcerns me, as Bill actually knows wot he's talking about....:eyepop:

Steve:(

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.