Mk4 Software updates and service benefits at dealer

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
After a recent issue with servicing at a main dealer with my wife's car I'm skeptical about taking my car to the main dealer or independent garage for its first service (currently 1 year old and 4.8k miles).
I'm hoping to change the oil/oil filter etc.. myself and hopefully save myself a lot of cash but is there any real benefit to have the car's first service at a main dealer? Main dealer fluff states that the car will be serviced to SEAT spec, get the latest software updates, error faults diagnosed, service book stamped, etc.. for approx £189 and I'm sure that all the parts would cost less than £50.
Warranty shouldn't be affected either (hopefully) as far as I know if the car is serviced by myself, as long as the car has been serviced according to VAG specs.

Any suggestions, opinions, or advice welcomed.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
At 1 year old, the first service will likely be just an inspection service. Depending on whether it's on 1 year or 2 year oil changes, you may get an oil change.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Seat servicing is pricey but shop around and some dealers will go cheaper than the stated price. In my experience long life service should be avoided on turbo engines, especially low mileage ones like yours.

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
If it's only the first year I'd get it done by a garage, simply for the service history to avoid any warrenty claim issues should have issues in the first 3years.

Smileyman

Aug 9, 2017
I would agree, to protect the warranty you must have the car serviced as specified by SEAT, if something goes wrong 12 months from now and your car's services are not up to date as they specify then they would be within their rights to walk away and leave you to foot the bill.

GS16LRHP

Feb 17, 2014
Thanks for the replies all. It makes sense to take the car to the dealer as it's a new car and to cover the warranty but I'm struggling to justify the cost of an oil change and health check. I'll compare local dealer prices and see if any can do a deal for me. Interestingly, the cost of a 1st service at Skoda is cheaper than Seat, same car/same service, different price.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.