Mk4 Suspension

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
I've had no problems with mine.

You can get loctite in either a paste, liquid or even like a string that you wrap round the threads....

Mar 13, 2008
Suffolk
Thinking of coilovers myself, My car has done 68k (PD130 Sport).

So i guess its best to replace the topmounts and bearings while everything is off the car?. As like i have said in my previous post my car makes a banging noise from the rear.

What price would new topmounts and bearings be?. Would i need to do front and rear.

Thanks
Luke

FoZz

Sep 23, 2008
they are just for the front. cheap as chips. my advice would be to get cupra bushes fitted to the front as well, and maybe your ARB bushes replaced while you have it in. Handling and everything will be tight as a drum then. Damo, im getting the bolts looked at tomorrow again, so hopefully they will be put in properly this time...

Gav_Lewis

Hi, new user here.

Can anyone give me the ARB bush SEAT part number please? I have the number for the wishbone rear bush (the solid Cupra ones 6LL 407 183) I just need the ARB bush. I've searched this thread high and low and can only find powerflex part numbers.

SEAT dealer quoted me £350 to change the wishbone rear bush and ARB bushes at the same . Local Bosch service place only wants £103 for the wishbone bush so I need to price the whole thing and they need the part number.

Thanks all.

Gav

FoZz

Sep 23, 2008
£350!!! hahahahhahahahahhahahahah! Thats a joke... right?

I had my cupra solid front/rear's, top mounts, surface bearings, rear bump stops cut down, and a v-maxx suspension kit fitted for £100. Then i had my ball joints and ARB bushes fitted for £70. The ball joints involve a fair bit of work from what i can tell, but the ARB bushes are pretty straight forward.

Gav_Lewis

Nah no joke. Parts were about £20 for the wishbone bushes and £47 for the ARB bushes. I'm not sure what the labour rate is but I'm assuming £90 an hour, so say 3hrs and you're at roughly £350 all in.:(

Really need that part number for the independent garage!

cheers

Gav_Lewis

Yeah got prices, the guy was very quick.

I want to try and negotiate the dealer down on price (chance in hell maybe?) first before I buy the parts and go to an indie.

Is there any chance of an indie garage screwing it up or is it a simple process (to change wishbone bushes and complete ARB unit)?

Cheers

Gav

FoZz

Sep 23, 2008
I dont think you will be able to negotiate on the price of the parts.

The cupra bushes can be a pain to get in some times, as well as trying to get the old ones out, but an indie garage will be used to changing these.

Gav_Lewis

Not on the parts, the amount of labour. Surely they should be used to doing these so should charge less than 3hrs. Does the subframe need dropping?

Cheers

FoZz

Sep 23, 2008
i would estimate about an hour or hour and a half for the bushes. no, as far as i know these can be changed without have to take anything else off really. Ball joints however are a different story... lol!

tooly1

1.2 power !
Oct 17, 2009
Nottingham
hey ive got a mk4 ibiza 1.2 sx and was woundering what 35-40mm springs and shocks there is out there for it!

searched google etc its not very clear ! and couldnt see any 35mm or 40mm lowering kits!

and also would it be necessary to have a different height drop at the back and the front? because of weight or something like that !

oww and i want them reasonably cheapish £250ish!

FoZz

Sep 23, 2008
No, they are all coilover kits because the suspension types vary quite a lot on them. If i were you i wouldnt bother. im regretting the £450 kit i bought and the low profile tires on my 17" RS4 wheels. You feel every stone on the road, and the road noise is terrible. a 10 mile drive is a chore!

tsmithy

I'm thinking about putting 17 inch wheels on a Ibiza TDI Sport.

I know that 17's came standard on later FR and Cupra cars and was wondering if there were any suspension differences.

I have done some research and some people have said that the ride will be crashy and less comfortable on the 17's.

Is this the case or will the car ride the same as a later fr would?

Thanks

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members