Mk4 Suspension

tdi130sport

tdi 130 suspension probs

Hi, just a quick question maybe someone has had a simular problem? I own a black metallic 02 TDI sport 130 with 46K on clock.Had a suspension rattle a few months ago which my local garage put down to worn anti-roll bar bushes and they were duly replaced. Car was fine for a few weeks after and handled nicely again. Now I have a lot rather annoying 'clunk' when I turn and brake at almost full left hand lock, also when I accelerate from rest ,not flat out though , I can hear the same clunk, sounds as if something is moving back and forth slightly with suspension??

lukekbrown

Browner
Mar 1, 2008
Reading
Hi, just a quick question maybe someone has had a simular problem? I own a black metallic 02 TDI sport 130 with 46K on clock.Had a suspension rattle a few months ago which my local garage put down to worn anti-roll bar bushes and they were duly replaced. Car was fine for a few weeks after and handled nicely again. Now I have a lot rather annoying 'clunk' when I turn and brake at almost full left hand lock, also when I accelerate from rest ,not flat out though , I can hear the same clunk, sounds as if something is moving back and forth slightly with suspension??

Has your anti roll bar got plastic retainers or welded ones?

I ask this because I had plastic retainers on mine and they fell apart so the anti roll bar was knocking back and forth making a rattle whenever there was a slight bump or anything in the road.

To resolve this I got a VRS ARB with welded retainers, new clamps and bushes so the ARB wouldn't have excessive movement.

I also changed the front and rear wishbone bushes for Cupra and powerflex bushes at the same time.

Now the car is great to drive with my coilovers :)

tdi130sport

Hi Luke, thanks for the reply. The car has standard retainers whatever that means ? Plastic maybe? Sorry to be a little dull what car is a VRS anti roll bar from?.

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
The anti roll bar is from a Skoda Fabia vRS. Skoda redesigned the ARB a while back to include the metal retainers. The vRS ARB is also 21mm thick whereas your standard one will be 18mm.

I had exactly the same problem with my 130 Sport and the redesigned vRS ARB sorted it out. The actual clunk is the ARB knocking against the front wishbone bush housing on the drivers side.

You can buy the vRS ARB and new bushes direct from Skoda for about £70. However if you're not able to fit it yourself the labour cost at a garage will be quite high as the front subframe needs dropping in order to get the ARB out.

number2

Has your anti roll bar got plastic retainers or welded ones?

I ask this because I had plastic retainers on mine and they fell apart so the anti roll bar was knocking back and forth making a rattle whenever there was a slight bump or anything in the road.

To resolve this I got a VRS ARB with welded retainers, new clamps and bushes so the ARB wouldn't have excessive movement.

I also changed the front and rear wishbone bushes for Cupra and powerflex bushes at the same time.

Now the car is great to drive with my coilovers :)

Thanks Luke, i have this noise and couldnt find the problem, neither could i get it to do it when the mechanic was in the car. Are the clips easy to spot? Gutted if the sub frame has to come off to change the ARB, ive just had the front bushes done. :banghead2

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Thanks Luke, i have this noise and couldnt find the problem, neither could i get it to do it when the mechanic was in the car. Are the clips easy to spot? Gutted if the sub frame has to come off to change the ARB, ive just had the front bushes done. :banghead2

To check if your car has the original plastic end stops, I'd just try to touch the end stops mounted on the ARB with a small magnet. If you are having trouble and you think that it is due to a u/s old style ARB then either post some pictures of the ARB - take each front wheel off and take a picture of the area near the ARB mounting clamps, or look on the Skoda forum www.briskoda.net in the Fabia section and you should find some good pictures of broken ARB plastic end stops.

dannyboy89

ive got a 1.4tdi and the only lowering springs i could get were apex ones and that was for a 35mm drop, however its only noticeable at the front
im now tempted to fit some coilovers and drop the thing on its arse
i dont think it will look good with my 17'' aloys on tho

fr-tdi

Detailing freak!
Feb 7, 2008
fife, scotland
ill add some more suspension options in then lol

Rayvern Hydraulics 1st UK kit for the Ibiza mk4 - for now a total one-off custom kit though i think he has taken the plans for it incase anyone else with a mk4 wants it.

100_0503.jpg

car can be dropped 200mm+ from standard height and the kit runs a 5gal tank with compressor and SMC fittings.

pow

May 26, 2007
OK, just read through this thread and am more confused to when I started! :lol:

I have a set of Eibach Pro Line lowing springs (-35mm I think). I have some powerflew bushes on the front of the car away way.

I really don't trust the car cornering, feels all over the shot, very eager to fly out. I have 17" Leon FR+ alloys with 205/40r17 Uniroyal Rainsport 2's, so not a bad tyre, wide and grippy (same width as my old 16" sport wheels).

I was gunna chuck the springs on anyway to make sure I can live with the lower ride height with the speed bumps round my area.

But, people are saying you should upgrade this and that etc etc.

I DONT want to loose ride quality (the little that the Ibiza has), I was it to be slightly soft but hard enough for a bit of spirited driving.

So, if I decide I want to keep the springs:

What should I replace my shocks with?
Should I get a seat sport strut brace?
Should I get a new front ARB?
Should I get a new rear ARB?
Should I replace the wishbone bushes? (Front and back?)

I don't want to spend A LOT of money, car is a 90k'er now!

pow

May 26, 2007
Yeah, they're a spot on fit, no scrubbing, sit in the arches perfectly. They are practically the same as Cupra alloys

Darzy18

anyone who is from n ireland where would a good place to get coilovers fitted. had my eye set on them kw variant 1 is it a good idea or is there better out there for 700 pound

tequilan

mk4 ibiza FR pd 130
Sep 24, 2007
somerset
anybody heard anything about FK Powertech Suspension Kits? they're very adjustable for both height and damping, and they are quite cheap too......done a search on here but nothing found....
ben

The-Les

I've recently lowered my 130TDI 30mm with eibach spring and now it feels alot softer and slower on compression and rebound so thinking about upgrading the shocks. what do people recommend? I want it stiff and adjustable but not looking for coilovers.

Neil82

Nov 25, 2001
Visit site
Had a look through this thread and i'm confused! Can some one please list all the bushes I need to order? My car knocks like buggery and is p?ssing me off.

Cheers
Neil

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise