MK5 1.6 Sport

Mixxy

Hi
Asking on behalf of a mate whos getting the runaround with the dealership

Hes got a MK5 Ibiza Sport 1.6 still with SEAT warranty and theres two faults with the exhaust
1) A hole just before or on the join of the the middle sliencer
2) A hole on the rear sliencer where the right hanger is welded on

3) Car also seems to pop and the rear sliencer rattles like the baffles have gone !
Its only done 16,000 miles !

I wonder if either is a know issue,
The dealership has spotted the two holes on 1 inspection but done nothing, second inpection found nothing, third - agreed rear baffles are going
I think they keep putting him off till the warranty expired

jc_boc

Missing the CUPRA R!
Jul 18, 2008
Desborough
How old is the car? they have a three year warranty so if it is not that old then they are gonna have to string him along for a long time. Alternatively tell him to tell ask them if such a thing is covered under warranty and if they do not sort it immidiately he will take it up with either SEAT UK or the ombudsman.

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
Yeah, i'd agree, wear and tear it may be,
but you can also expect an exhaust to reasonably last a lot longer than 16,000 miles and so its failure is down to a fault present from the time of manufacture and so shuold be covered under the warranty.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
oh yeak 16k miss read it. Thats getting a little higher but still. Modern exhausts should last longer.

Do you live by the sea?

nightflight

May 18, 2009
Sheffield
I hope they last longer, there's no way I can afford to replace my exhauust every year and a half. I'll be driving round like a right little chav :lol:

Mixxy

nope not by the sea
Think he does a lot of small journeys so condesation prob sits in the exhaust, but still wouldnt expect it to rust through and rot the backbox so the baffles come loose

He hasnt had it long, was bought from a private person so they could have also done short journeys & lived by the sea
Bought with 12,000 - 15,000 miles on
There isnt a local SEAT dealer in Ipswich anymore so he has to keep taking it to colchester, by the time hes got there is warmed up and not so bad
He cant really afford to to be without it for days while they run tests from cold on it

I did at the weekend and lightly held my hand over the backbox and water was dripping out from both holes !

Could weld up the holes, its more the rear box if it gets worse

markrtw

My M plate golf gti had the original exhaust replaced at 150,000 miles and 14 years - the exhaust had not rotted, but the welds/joins had corroded making the boxes come loose.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.