Mk5 Cupra reliability

when the 1.8t was first released there was a few teething problems with it, can remember my dad had an old A4 (think it was a 97 on R reg) it was only 2 or three years old when he had it and he's told me it used to run very lean, and there was an occasional misfire under boost.

feel we have to remember that the 1.4tsi is still a reasonably new engine....although it is ridiculous that a brand new design can have such serious problems

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
when the 1.8t was first released there was a few teething problems with it, can remember my dad had an old A4 (think it was a 97 on R reg) it was only 2 or three years old when he had it and he's told me it used to run very lean, and there was an occasional misfire under boost.

feel we have to remember that the 1.4tsi is still a reasonably new engine....although it is ridiculous that a brand new design can have such serious problems

I don't agree, misfires have always been a known trait of the 1.8t but 99% of the time its a coil pack failure and something many brands have problems with its an easy fix. Also remaps will kill a weak coil and many 1.8t engines are remapped. The engine its self is solid and I have every faith in it as I've had a few to abuse. I understand teething problems but I think this engine has gone beyond that. I really hope this new engine is the real deal and a lot better,time will tell though.

Dads a4 running lean could of been maff/lambda problem and most likely was.

Aug 3, 2011
1.2 TSI's had a recall for faulty Turbo but apart from that theres not been much ive seen bad about them on here. pokey for a small engine, I drove 1.2 TSi leon- I wasnt expecting much but it wasnt bad to be honest. Drank a bit of petrol at higher speeds even with the 6th gear.

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Personally for 12k+ on a year old car I don't think the word gamble should even come into it. If we were talking 700 quid you pay your money and take your gamble.

Yeah - but that's basically the sole reason you made this thread, right? You know there's problems with them!

Also on fisting... Different context, different meaning, sure ;)

But I'm on about on boost, full blend, nailing it, etc, etc, as I'm sure you knew!

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
Yeah - but that's basically the sole reason you made this thread, right? You know there's problems with them!

Also on fisting... Different context, different meaning, sure ;)

But I'm on about on boost, full blend, nailing it, etc, etc, as I'm sure you knew!

No the reason for the thread was to find out if the new engines are ok. I knew the old engines were utter shite but I had heard they had been changed so my question was are the new engines ok, not do I take a gamble with a newer Cupra with a newer engine.was never about taking a gamble for me as i wouldn't with 12/13k.

Ps, no mate I actually thought you were full on fisting your car,some people are into some weird stuff. Fisting your car just isn't something that's said, is it?

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
People in Cheshire fist their cars, fact!

Think I'm going to knock the mk5 on the head for now and see what he facelift ones are like. Shame really.

Sep 2, 2010
Leeds
My Cupra is a 10' plate and I haven't had any issues with mine, it's misfired twice in almost 3 years and it was just a judder, no engine lights or anything and hasn't done it since. All I have done engine wise is new spark plugs (uprated iridium NGK's) and the latest Revo stage 1 software. The only real issue with mine is that it does use a bit of oil but im used to it. just top it up every now and then no big deal. Yes it is a flawed engine but mine is the 'older' style and it is sweet so they ain't all bad, I'd say go for it they are great cars.

Wilko210290

Mines a 61 plate and had NO issues at all. Done around 2000 miles and not used a drop of oil. It is driven hard half of the time as well. The only slight issue i have is the tyres are shocking. I had already put a deposit down before reading about the oil issues and i was seriously thinking walking away but im glad i didnt.

Aug 3, 2011
Mines a 61 plate and had NO issues at all. Done around 2000 miles and not used a drop of oil. It is Fisted hard half of the time as well. The only slight issue i have is the tyres are shocking. I had already put a deposit down before reading about the oil issues and i was seriously thinking walking away but im glad i didnt.

Fixed that for you ;)

Bridgestone are not great, they weren't good on my 10 plate Fiesta either. I will reccomend the Vredisten Ultrac Sessantas- there very good!

Jay

Last edited:

scottl5690

i have got a 59 fr with the 150ps it turns 3 years old this month, i have owned it around 6 months, its spent around 2 weeks in the dealer as the car devolped an elctrical fault n seat didnt know how to fix it, wile it was in there it had a coil pack fitted, it uses a 1l of oil ever 3k miles at a guess, its got 17500 on the clock, car is awsome,, would i buy another yes :)

turboboy

Limp Mode Squad ™
Dec 9, 2003
hants
:thumbup: jay, nice one

This seems soo hit and miss,clearly there are some good ones out there but it is a big gamble.

Iperry

and despite of the issues mentioned the vag 1.4 tsi won engine of the year in 2009-10

picking up a '10 reg cupra with 20k on clock. vag dont seem to hold any info on the car from what i have asked. it was owned by 1 lady owner from new so in that respect generally speaking it is les likely to have been given a hard life (not to be sexist or anything). all i know is that it has main dealer service history and had 20k service at 18k.

i hope i dont have to suffer lots of issues with it but if there are problems. ill probs just swap to a leon fr if so. actually, wondering what vag are like with these kind of issues, new engines etc? point being im buying private and the car has 6months warranty left. if was to buy from seat approved used would i be that much better off? i worked for vag trade parts 2009-11 and cant recall seeing any majour parts usage for these engines or cupras for that matter. just general servicing parts ect...

Aug 3, 2011
Lol turbo boy.

Id say there are more good ones than the 10 or 15 that post up with major issues. The 1.4 tsi is in so many VAG cars in various power modes it is a minority, its a large minority, but still a minority. You'll be safer going with a 1.4ford ffiesta engine...but where's the fun in that lol

It depends on how they are treated too. Two of my friends bought 1.4 tsi (fr And cupra) and both had problems, one was *fisted* from cold all the time And it threw a piston. The other was ran with no oil for an unspecified time And also ate its self. I've been lucky, or OCD about looking after my car.

Last edited:

Iperry

that is very true jay1990 an kinda confirms my thaughts. as you say, if a car is thrashed all the time and not looked after or serviced in a correct manner then you will have problems. ive been having doubts about buying the car past couple of days despite being in the position where i have the money for it sitting in the bank, a deposit having been paid and arranged out of hours time in which to collect it. should i be having doubts still? im purchasing this car because the civic eg i have is just not worth insuring for another month on top of the repairs it needs.

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Got 12 grand for mine at a year old with 11 or 12k on. They probably sold it at 14. I had absolutely no interest privately though

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise