Mk5 Cupra reliability

Iperry

paying 10k for mine 2010 plate 1 owner full seat service history. they generally dont get much lower than 9k i been looking at prices for about 6 months and they haven't come down much

Squash man

May 6, 2011
Solihull
May 2011 Boc with 17500 miles. Fuel gauage seemed to stick on full once but apart from that no issues. Think I've put in 4l of oil since new :happy:

Cupra Curn

Aug 30, 2010
Swindon
Mines coming up to 40000 miles on a 60 plate. Apart from little niggles never had a problem or a misfire. Really impressed with it (Will probably break down on me now).

Mines due to be changed in 6 months and by then it will have 45000 - 50000 miles on it. I dread to think how little it will be worth!!

beginning to swalllow my words.....

having not checked the oil for a couple of weeks, i started my car on my drive tonight and received the oil level warning light.

checked the level....literally NOTHING on the dipstick!

filled it with oil until the dipstick was reading a healthy level, but it's now left me feeling so paranoid.

not what you'd expect from a car thats barely a year old and covered less than 17,000 miles :(

will be phoning my dealership tomorrow to see about the piston rings

Mar 13, 2010
A litre of oil in 17,000 isnt that bad, there are other cars that would use morwe than that (type-R comes to mind) i would keep a close eye on how quick it is going through oil.

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
That was similar to what happened to mine, except half a litre just sorta.. vanished. Don't want that kinda hassle with a new car imo.

Aug 3, 2011
Empty on the dipstick is about a litre. Empty engine is 4.5-5l I think,

You should try check how much you put in at x milage so the dealer can see on going issues.

insanejim69

Ibiza 1.4TSi FR DSG
Jan 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
2009 Ibiza 1.4tsi FR DSG here. Had the car 3 months now and 22800 miles on the clock.

Power steering has failed twice almost causing 2 large accidents, and now permanently stopped working at all. Is in the dealer ATM receiving a new power steering pump as the original was a complete failed unit (apparently a fairly common issue according to the Seat dealer)

Rattles from front and rear suspension, dealer can't find any issues at all. :confused:

Rattles and creaks everywhere in the cabin when driving on rough roads :(

Sometimes from going from Sport mode on the DSG to normal D mode, the gearbox holds the gear its in for around 20-30 seconds before deciding what it wants to do. Also the DSG is sometimes a bit dim witted around town, while it decides what gear it wants to be in.

If going over a rough bump in the road (only sometimes) the whole dash goes dark for a split second then lights back up again :confused: :shrug:

When selecting reverse for some crazy reason the climate control engages and puts the fans on at full speed. Then when de selecting reverse they go back to normal, surely thats not meant to happen. Or if it is meant to happen, what a stupid idea :(

But in the 3 months of owning the car its not used a single drop of oil, the oil level is literally exactly the same as when I picked it up.

Do I like my car - yes its amazing fun to drive when everything is working fine, but so far in 3 months of ownership thats not very often :(.

Would I recommend one to someone I knew - Hell no , far too much issues in general and build quality is shockingly bad IMO with rattles and creaks everywhere !!!

I feel a bit miffed with myself TBH after trading in my 2005 Astra VXR for the Ibiza. I never had 1 single issue in 3 years with my VXR and not a single rattle or creak either :(

James

:)

Last edited:

Beazy

Sep 21, 2011
i would say i put in roughly 3 litres then, maybe more. absolute joke. i wrote down the mileage last night, and that i'd topped up the oil.

I got mines last August and it seems to take a litre every 2500 - 3000 miles. Way out of SEATs recommended limits but coming from a car that used maybe 2 litres in 32k it's an annoyance more than anything.

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
"When selecting reverse for some crazy reason the climate control engages and puts the fans on at full speed. Then when de selecting reverse they go back to normal, surely thats not meant to happen. Or if it is meant to happen, what a stupid idea"

sounds like my baby............quite like this now, like it has a mind of its own

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
"When selecting reverse for some crazy reason the climate control engages and puts the fans on at full speed. Then when de selecting reverse they go back to normal, surely thats not meant to happen. Or if it is meant to happen, what a stupid idea"

sounds like my baby............quite like this now, like it has a mind of its own

Is it not merely the fans turning to recirc so you don't suck up petrol fumes and die?

insanejim69

Ibiza 1.4TSi FR DSG
Jan 10, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
^^ Well personally I still think its a silly idea. I can't think of a single car I have had in the past that when reversed had any kind of petrol fumes enter the car at all. It only makes me think the car has a fault when it does it :( ...... or maybe I am a bit paranoid now ..... only had mines 3 months time, but already looking at new cars due to my problems. :shrug::confused::(

James

:)

Aug 3, 2011
Any other car would do the same I'd assume. My cupra does, so did my Fiesta before it.

As Fr dash lights, I'd suspect a loose connection. I hit a speed bump I wasnt aware of( not good lol) And my headlights didnt turn on, fogs did. Called aa man, checked everything fuses, wires ect then looked under the dash panel and a small relay had popped out. Plugged in, sorted.

Try a different dealer or an independent to see if they can find the other problems.