MK5 Golf GTI to Leon SC ?

simonkit

Just joined the forum as I've been looking at the Leon SC for some time now, really like the look of the 3 door.

I own a Golf GTI MK5 currently and I'm considering a Leon, either the 1.8TSI, 2.0TDI 184 or maybe even the new Cupra, the early reviews look excellent.

The Golf has been a great car, still drives as though it's new so want to be sure I'm replacing it with something at least as good... performance wise the 1.8 and 2.0TDI 184 seem pretty much equal to my MK5 so shouldn't miss the performance, I've read quite a few posts about build issues though which are slightly concerning as haven't had any with the Golf.

Wondered if anyone else have moved from VW to Seat and could post their experience?

Thanks

Simon

simonkit

We have a Mk5 Golf Match 1.9 TDI at the moment and a Leon 1.8TSi on order.

I haven't test driven an SC as yet... how did you find the Leon in comparison to your Golf, not necessarily performance but build, kit and road manners

Thanks

Simon

unclelonghair

Jul 6, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
I moved from a Mk V GT Sport TSi 170 for a Leon FR 140 and couldn't be happier. Mk V was a low point for VW in terms of interior quality, and the Leon is much nicer place to be. Even without the fancy rear suspension of the higher power models it rides so much better than the Golf which really didn't like potholes. You can see where they have cut the costs on the Leon (no fan jets on the windscreen, no engine cover, no gas strut on the bonnet) but you get so much more for your money that I can overlook those. My parents have a Mk 7 Golf and the Leon compares very favourably. That said, if I could have afforded a Mk 7 GTi I would probably have gone for that as I think they look great.

simonkit

I moved from a Mk V GT Sport TSi 170 for a Leon FR 140 and couldn't be happier. Mk V was a low point for VW in terms of interior quality, and the Leon is much nicer place to be. Even without the fancy rear suspension of the higher power models it rides so much better than the Golf which really didn't like potholes. You can see where they have cut the costs on the Leon (no fan jets on the windscreen, no engine cover, no gas strut on the bonnet) but you get so much more for your money that I can overlook those. My parents have a Mk 7 Golf and the Leon compares very favourably. That said, if I could have afforded a Mk 7 GTi I would probably have gone for that as I think they look great.

Thanks for the info... must admit the ride quality is one of the main things that impresses me with the MKV GTI but reading about the new MQB platform I'd expect all the VW/Set/Audi models to be better in this respect.. as you mention the materials in the MKV aren't top grade although it's all put together very well, never had a single rattle in 4yrs of ownership so my expectations of the Seat are high.

I'll be honest, I haven't fully discounted the MK7 GTI but I do really like how the Seat looks and it has much more kit for the money, the Cupra has so much more performance too.. although I'm more than happy with the performance of the MK5 so the 1.8TSI is a more likely bet for me

Simon

Simon

Last edited by a moderator:

keithjeb

Nov 1, 2013
I test drove both the GTD and the Leon FR 150/184. My preference would have been for the 184, but I was offered a deal on the 150 that was too good to pass up.

They're incredibly similar, particularly the 184 which obviously has the multilink gubbins. When I bought the leon didn't have DCC, which is the only thing from the golf I'd spec. I don't like adaptive cruise on manuals, and the material on the seats is far too garish. Couple that with the fact that I paid knocking on 4.5k less it was a bit of a no brainer. For my money they've more or less priced the GTI out of the market with the MQB cars. People looking for the performance will end up in an FR/Cupra, and those after it for looks will be into an A3 Sline.

As far as build quality goes, the main thing people have issues with is a faulty door seal and a couple of rattles. Neither are significant in the scheme of things.

JackReacher

Jun 20, 2013
I used to have a Mk 5 Gti, a great car. I have only driven the 1.2 TSi, 1.4 TSI and 2.0 TDI 150, I think you'll be impressed with the handling. Even on the lower spec cars the handling is very light and nimble.

Personally, I would not go for a 1.8, it's just a side step in terms of performance, and a lot to pay if you are happy with the Gti. If you are doing big miles the 184 makes sense, but personally I would look at the Cupra. Will feel like a big step up in performance I imagine.

niggle

Rollin' on 17s, baby!
Jan 28, 2014
Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
I haven't test driven an SC as yet... how did you find the Leon in comparison to your Golf, not necessarily performance but build, kit and road manners
We had a couple of brief test drives in a Leon FR SC 1.8TSi DSG with panoramic roof and 18" alloys. Probably 30 - 40 minutes seat time in total between us.

Our Match has "comfort" suspension and the Leon felt obviously more firmly damped by comparison. Less roll in corners, unsurprisingly. I was pleasantly surprised by the ride quality of the Leon - I had pre-supposed that the 18" wheels would ruin it. We have settled for the standard 17" wheels on our order.

No apparent rattlles or other funny noises in the time that we were in the Leon. If you have sat in a Golf Mk7 or a new A3 then you do get the impression that the design budget ran out before SEAT got round to completing the interior design but it's functional, ergonomic and seems of reasonable quality. The light coloured headlining helps to offset the otherwise dark coloured materials in the FR. The switchgear is all familiar and there are more than enough gadgets to keep you amused.

We did consider the Leon Mk2 at the time that we were looking at the Golf Mk5 but the steeply raked windscreen, sides that curve in towards the edges of the roof and the very dark colour scheme made the Leon feel claustrophobic compared to the Golf.

We do like the Golf Mk7 but the specification/value for money seems poor compared to the Leon FR. Maybe another Match model would address this? If you want a Mk7 with petrol engine with a bit of poke then it's either the GT with the 1.4 ACT lump or a GTi with the 2.0TSi. The FR 1.8 sits nicely between these two and the Audi-developed 1.8 engine is essentially a de-stroked version of the excellent EA888 2.0T as found in the Cupra/GTi/S3.

simonkit

Read a few reviews on the new Cupra and the more I read the more I'm tempted.. I agree that the Golf GTI is getting a bit too expensive now, the Leon certainly does offer a lot for the money relatively speaking

Simon

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.