modded/ smoothed MAF?

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
i've heard of a few people smoothing the grills out of the MAF tube, i tried a search but couldn't find anything.

what is the purpose of the grills/mesh?

is there any advantage or disadvantage in removing them?

i am also thinking of making for want of a better term 'induction pipe' from alloy with a built in housing for the MAF probe. but obviously need to know if there are any benefit/reason for the mesh on the standard unit?

thanks, olly.

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
:confused: so it's needed? i know older models had steel mesh which wouldn't straighten flow much.

what would happen if it wasn't there, potential inaccurate readings? excuse my ignorance.

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
is there any ways of testing? i really fancied a nice alloy intake/ filter pipe with built in housing for MAF probe. :cry:

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
need to get myself a laptop then, i'm sure my mate must be getting tired of me on his doorstep - 'can you plug her in mate?' haha.

guess i'll mock up a pipe and run some logs - not that i know what i'm looking for....

thanks for the input fella.

olethalb

ibiza gone!!!
Oct 9, 2008
bracknell
because i want to fabricate an alloy induction/ intake pipe to run from the TIP to the filter without the joins for the MAF and have the MAF probe mounted in the alloy pipework so the mesh wouldn't be possible in a 1 piece alloy intake.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
and have either of you back to back measured the airflow? or measured the fuelling to see if it's running right?

Premier-Tuning

cool, just need a new sump now! DOH!! fitted my 'H valve' took it for a test round the block last night and managed to hit half a brick and smash the sump. :cry: luckily i noticed straight away!

still don't know if i cured the boosting issue and seat (local) say it'll take 8 weeks to get me one! hooray for backdraft!!

oh it's olethalb on my mates account btw, :)

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
I did when at the time and i gained a few g/s, 6 seems to ring a bell. Might be posted on here about 3/4 years ago.

Fueling's been fine when it's been on the RR and hooked up to a wideband sensor.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
dig em out.... I trust Bosch more than people with dremels.

They wouldn't have designed cost into the application if it wasn't required

cuprabaz

Racing 2020VT
Jun 22, 2004
Aberdeenshire
I did all my logs back then on my works laptop which is long gone. I'll have a look on my own laptop to see if i copied them but i can assure you my g/s increased after removing the straightner and mesh. Runs were done directly before and after and i used snips not a dremel;) Common sense will tell you that you'll see an increase in flow because the straightener will restricting the flow, maybe not a great deal but it'll still slow it up.

I think coxy was meaning he had his tested the same way mine was done.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.