Modding on new 290 with GPF fitted

Craig Elliott

Dec 28, 2018
As we all know the new 290 models have the GPF filters fitted to meet regulations... Does anyone see any issues with this when it comes to modding the car?

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Not sure on gpf legalities but if the gpf rules go the same way as dpf's then will prob be part of future mot checks so any exhaust mods would need to leave the gpf housing in place.

Reactions: Craig Elliott

Deleted member 103408

I don't know the answer but I totally agree with @kiddo in time this will be an MOT issue.

If you check out MIlltek site you will see the following comment on the ford fiesta

In development and coming soon will be a full range of large bore downpipes available with and without High Flow Cat/GPF's.

On the Leon stage one does not require any modifications to the exhaust system but from stage 2 onwards you will need a high flow system to get the power. Best bet is talk to your tuning company / Exhaust company and ask them if it makes a difference, I am guessing its just going to be more expensive as you will need to have a High Flow Catalytic converter and GPF.

Reactions: Craig Elliott

Craig Elliott

Dec 28, 2018
I'm only looking at getting a stage 1 Revo map so no modifications needed and the car will be going back before it needs it's first MOT Anyway lol

Mystery290

Nov 13, 2018
Newcastle upon Tyne
Just a quick note on this for any body leasing or wanting to go down the tuning box route - DTUK are now showing the 290s with DPF on their list of available 'tunes' - quoting 359ps and 490nm over the standard 290ps and 380nm respectively.
I'll be taking my box off the car to be re-flashed for my 290 arriving in March soon...
Also been informed by DTUK if your tuning module is less than 5 years old it can be reprogrammed FOC and as my previous car had an EA888 motor also the loom is the same so it's a win win! Managed to click to cars off the same module and harness :cheers:

Craig Elliott

Dec 28, 2018
Just a quick note on this for any body leasing or wanting to go down the tuning box route - DTUK are now showing the 290s with DPF on their list of available 'tunes' - quoting 359ps and 490nm over the standard 290ps and 380nm respectively.
I'll be taking my box off the car to be re-flashed for my 290 arriving in March soon...
Also been informed by DTUK if your tuning module is less than 5 years old it can be reprogrammed FOC and as my previous car had an EA888 motor also the loom is the same so it's a win win! Managed to click to cars off the same module and harness :cheers:

Are these tuning plug in boxes reliable though? Never used one. Always go for proper maps.

Reactions: Mystery290

Craig Elliott

Dec 28, 2018
DTUK tuning box for the new 290 GPF fitted vehicles is £410 delivered. Revo quoted me around £730 for their ECU map. I like the idea of unplugging the box and bobs yer uncle... Not to mention the £300 odd in my pocket... What could cover a Res Delete or something...

Mystery290

Nov 13, 2018
Newcastle upon Tyne
Are these tuning plug in boxes reliable though? Never used one. Always go for proper maps.

DTUK tuning box for the new 290 GPF fitted vehicles is £410 delivered. Revo quoted me around £730 for their ECU map. I like the idea of unplugging the box and bobs yer uncle... Not to mention the £300 odd in my pocket... What could cover a Res Delete or something...

Yes absolutely, I’ve had one on the Polo Gti for 2 years with zero hassle and it only takes 10 minutes to install/uninstall with a vehicle lift, about 20 mins with just a jack. Plus when I bought mine it was £360 - they offer 0% finance and as I said in my previous post if the box is under warranty (less than 5 years old) they’ll reprogram to your new car for free! So I’ve had two modded cars for the price of one.
Bare in mind I’ve hit on as both cars use the same wiring harness however I’m sure you could simply purchase a new harness should you need to for a different vehicle...

Craig Elliott

Dec 28, 2018
Yes absolutely, I’ve had one on the Polo Gti for 2 years with zero hassle and it only takes 10 minutes to install/uninstall with a vehicle lift, about 20 mins with just a jack. Plus when I bought mine it was £360 - they offer 0% finance and as I said in my previous post if the box is under warranty (less than 5 years old) they’ll reprogram to your new car for free! So I’ve had two modded cars for the price of one.
Bare in mind I’ve hit on as both cars use the same wiring harness however I’m sure you could simply purchase a new harness should you need to for a different vehicle...

Cheers for that. Got me thinking now... I could get this, a res Delete fitted and a couple other little bits for the same price as a Revo map...

Craig Elliott

Dec 28, 2018
Dont think that the tuning box will give the same gains as a remap, because it simply won't, but for ease of fitting and removal, especially when it comes to warrenty work they are a good buy

Totally agree... But... Revo state for the 290 models they will go to 350-375. DTUK have rolling road print outs to prove a 2019 290 goes to 359... So for the sake of ease of use, removal and value for money...

Craig Elliott

Dec 28, 2018
DTUK have an offer on right now with £20 off the box bringing it to £390 or 10% off the box with app control which brings it to £413 for both... So effectively getting the app control for £3 more than the standard price.

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
DTUK have an offer on right now with £20 off the box bringing it to £390 or 10% off the box with app control which brings it to £413 for both... So effectively getting the app control for £3 more than the standard price.
I've got the app controller, it's worth it, if they ever update the map they can do it over the app from your phone, plus its nice changing the settings without having to open the bonnet all the time

Mystery290

Nov 13, 2018
Newcastle upon Tyne
Dont think that the tuning box will give the same gains as a remap, because it simply won't, but for ease of fitting and removal, especially when it comes to warrenty work they are a good buy

To be fair and I’ve not had my car remapped so I couldn’t comment on the DTUK versus a proper map so it’s really up to you @Craig Elliott which way you go...what I can say is my dealings with DTUK have been very positive, the guys there are very helpful and knowledgeable and as you say the price difference is very hard to ignore - plus the simplicity of installation is a huge bonus!
The box really did transform my car, whether it has the quoted figures or not I couldn’t be 100% certain, but the difference was night and day when I installed it and under the right conditions the little Polo actually keeps up with my uncle’s Golf R - so I’d assume the power figures DTUK must be somewhere near the mark! I would seriously consider it - because it also gives you the option to remove the box should you wish to take the car to a main dealer for servicing/warranty work etc.

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
Someone at DTUK has just told me that the old boxes are not compatible with the 290, you need one with app control apparently. And these have only been out for 6 months...

And they'd charge £75 +VAT to reprogramme any old boxes. Seems like the complete opposite of what they told you @Mystery290...

Mystery290

Nov 13, 2018
Newcastle upon Tyne
Someone at DTUK has just told me that the old boxes are not compatible with the 290, you need one with app control apparently. And these have only been out for 6 months...

And they'd charge £75 +VAT to reprogramme any old boxes. Seems like the complete opposite of what they told you @Mystery290...

Very interesting - I’ll ask the question again on Monday - it is the polar opposite of what I was told by the guy on their online chat :think:

Although to be fair, since ordering this car, it wouldn’t be the first thing that’s changed haha

Mystery290

Nov 13, 2018
Newcastle upon Tyne
I’ve just managed to get a response from DTUK - apparently my box is not compatible after all, as the new modules do not have a 12v supply and ground like my current one. The new ones are powered by the sensors? Not entirely sure how this works but that’s what I’ve been told by their support guy - however app control isn’t required and is still an optional extra...

Bit frustrating that I will need to replace the module as the new boxes have been out 6 months and I asked the question in October and was told it would be fine :banghead:

I suppose getting two cars for the price of one was a little too good to be true haha