Model Year 19 Cupra ST 4 Drive Resonator Delete Issue

silky16v

#VagDoctor
Jan 26, 2017
Having looked into the whole GPF delete on my UP GTi in detail and having fitted a Milltek cat back system I looked into the inline box and can confirm it’s a cat has the perforated design and I’d say I’d around a 400 cell cat with an EGT sensor right afterwards
Obviously the UP GTi only runs 1 cat and the Cupra has 2
The GPF in design is similar to a DPF and isnt see through and is far more made up in nature and runs a dam sight hotter than the pre GPF cars

The EGT is for the regen of the GPF (and or to enrichen the mixture when WOT) and so that the cats don’t get damaged with excess heat
But as we all know diesels are opposite to petrol as to run hot to regen it will have to run lean (where as diesel needs fuel to burn hotter)

Running lean isn’t good for components long term but I guess certain cruise and rpm criteria will need to meet for GPF regen

I’d like to see the inline cats removed with a delete pipe and the EGT sensor moved further up the DP nearer the GPF to compensate for the cats going but until someone has a play around and actual sees what the EGT sensor is reading and at what temperature it alters the map or stops the regen

For time being I’ve left my GPF in my GTi until further development work has taken place to understand the effect of a GPF delete pipe and what parameters will be effected and or if the map will need altered to suit

Reactions: Craig Elliott

silky16v

#VagDoctor
Jan 26, 2017
So are you planning a res delete?

Yes I have a full decat on order for my UP GTi but have yet to find a tuner willing to develop a map to suit and confidence they understand these new GPF systems

Cupra Carbon has Scorpion DP on order along with Forge FMIC, res delete and H&R RARB for the Carbon Edition the rest I already have fitted, muffler delete, intake elbow, silicone pipe, panel filter and modified stock airbox

And before anyone says I’m not going full intake setup as it’s simply not needed (stock airbox has been proved to be fine on stock turbo) and I hate the induction noise you get

Last edited:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Yes I have a full decat on order for my UP GTi but have yet to find a tuner willing to develop a map to suit and confidence they understand these new GPF systems

Cupra Carbon has Scorpion DP on order along with Forge FMIC, res delete and H&R RARB for the Carbon Edition the rest I already have fitted, muffler delete, intake elbow, silicone pipe, panel filter and modified stock airbox

And before anyone says I’m not going full intake setup as it’s simply not needed (stock airbox has been proved to be fine on stock turbo) and I hate the induction noise you get
Meant the Carbon :)

Scorpion Down Pipe?

Smolyneux85

Jun 22, 2018
North West
d8b0724cadbb359b414c895a24da3d66.jpg
37f792c79a23fe13159a8383b2ed0572.jpg
da0aa85d131be92a4394d5c0353ec9c8.jpg
0ead99f1d4db7d08834ce78ff518ffb5.jpg
2d450ba5b3a186a9e76704624237bc1d.jpg
92819a8d5eab44c8d8f5781938d0e767.jpg
0b447a787c3cd44df8af14d8cb4f8272.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramborobert

Apr 5, 2014
My pre copper cupra is the same setup looks dead easy to do a res delete nice straight pipe 1 cut required and easy to put back :)

I have bad news tho which is unrelated to a res delete all wltp cars have lost multi port injection :( which is the reason I sold my mk2 cupra due to misfires

CupraRobX

Jun 29, 2006
Surrey
My pre copper cupra is the same setup looks dead easy to do a res delete nice straight pipe 1 cut required and easy to put back :)

I have bad news tho which is unrelated to a res delete all wltp cars have lost multi port injection :( which is the reason I sold my mk2 cupra due to misfires
Oddly enough, I spotted this also when I was showing my mate the engine bay on Sunday. I only noticed when I took the cover off and could see where the secondary rail sat on the previous iteration of the EA888's in the Cupra, but not on the WLTP ones.

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield

Is this really bad news?

I don't know much about the technologies involved.

Could it be the case that the new technical engine/exhaust changes (inc GPF) mean that multi port is no longer required?

I'm sure I'll have a read at some point but any explanations welcome.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
It doesn't really bother me the different injection set up, I'll have it for 3 years whilst it's under warranty then waving goodbye. It goes like stink that's all that bothers me and supposedly drives better than the previous 300.

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Is this really bad news?

I don't know much about the technologies involved.

Could it be the case that the new technical engine/exhaust changes (inc GPF) mean that multi port is no longer required?

I'm sure I'll have a read at some point but any explanations welcome.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Been thinking about this I'm not sure if it is a GPF as such. I it not just a more restrictive Cat? As for the multi port. If its only lost 10hp, is that due to a more restrictive cat, or is that due to losing the multi port and having to have a flow single injection? Have to admit I don;t know enough about the Cupra engines to even know if they have injectors or what haha.

silky16v

#VagDoctor
Jan 26, 2017
coking up will be more of an issue due to losing the multiport
but if most are only keeping there cars 3yrs then is the next owners problem (pretty much like the TFSI engines)
The GPF is massively more restrictive, thus effecting the engines ability to rev quickly (you now have in essence 2 cats or 3 on the ST)
where as before there was just one in the DP right after the turbo

the only advantage i see with the GPF equipped cars are clean exhaust pipe tips lol!

Deleted member 103408

I have also seen a number of post's saying more carbon build up in the engine which the Lease owners wont care about.

I suspect the other advantage of GPF Over time is going to be you will find it harder and harder to drive into major towns in cars not fitted with such stuff.