Model Year 19 Cupra ST 4 Drive Resonator Delete Issue

Nivster

Sep 3, 2019
Not quite what you asked for as this is the Carbon system. However the carbon and 4 drive systems and routing are the same, it’s just the internals and 4 pipes are different.

Again the Cupra R and GPF/PPF 4drive are the same as each other, and the same as the photo just with a straight pipe instead of a resonator.

So this photo shows how the pipes go to oval they first split.
View attachment 9842

Thanks. Looking to see what comes after the GPF and when...and where the joints are, on each of the WLTP variants...

Trying learn if there is another backbox/resonator right before the tips or just a central rear backbox before splitting to the tips...to see what could possibly change and how easy.

Nivster

Sep 3, 2019
@Nivster, I had a res delete done on my 2017 St300 and to be honest it didn’t rally do that much because of the massive silencer each side of the exit pipe. I ordered a cat back system from a German exhaust company with rs4/6 tips and smaller silencers and it made a BIG difference,exactly how these cars should sound,there a few people who can vouch for this with the car meets that we have a few time a year.
be55a92b1bfb9578b42572e29fd65dfe.jpg
6a684184901e6117ec5257ba320bc77f.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice!

Ok there's a couple of silencers before each tip, I'm looking to keep a stock look but release a bit extra noise/fun.

Also looking for something simple to go back to stock easily....like the res delete.

Do you know if there were any joints on standard exhaust at silencer before the tailpipe/tip.

(Don't have my car yet, it's on order and trying to research what can do while I wait!)

Nivster

Sep 3, 2019
Found this crowd, in Germany though:

https://www.underground-exhaust.com/

Re the backbox...''The original interior is completely removed from the inside and replaced by a new stainless steel pipe or inner life (depending on the sound request)''

Looks like a Cupra R maybe still an option for Cupra ST 300...

Edit: second thoughts...can see this has single tips in either side, so not Cupra R?

Wonder if there is a UK equivalent...

Last edited:

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Thanks. Looking to see what comes after the GPF and when...and where the joints are, on each of the WLTP variants...

Trying learn if there is another backbox/resonator right before the tips or just a central rear backbox before splitting to the tips...to see what could possibly change and how easy.
On the GPF/PPF 4 drive all you have are the 2 back boxes either side. Nothing else after the GPF/PPF.

Reactions: Nivster

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
Nice!

Ok there's a couple of silencers before each tip, I'm looking to keep a stock look but release a bit extra noise/fun.

Also looking for something simple to go back to stock easily....like the res delete.

Do you know if there were any joints on standard exhaust at silencer before the tailpipe/tip.

(Don't have my car yet, it's on order and trying to research what can do while I wait!)

@Nivster, I have a pic of the old back box.
21c82297dd6892a9654e19945c1a7386.jpg

Reactions: Nivster

paul7619

Jul 21, 2011
LLanelli
Seat Leon ST Cupra 4drive MY 2019 with GPF. Will a CAT back exhaust system like Milltek fit my car or has it got to be GPF back? Any other makes that I'm not aware of.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
In theory a Cat back will fit, although the connection may need adapting. However noise wise they would of been developed based on none GPF/PPF cars, so they they would likely be more muted sound wise.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
So a Non resonated cat back might be a straight fit? but would sound more like a resonated one
I can't say 100%, but likely. From memory on these its just a sleeve at the front of the car, so unless they've changed the diameter of the pipe on the GPF cars or the position of the connection to the cart back then it should fit. However even if you get a non resonated version it may still be muted. Can't say till someone tries it. Or just wait.

paul7619

Jul 21, 2011
LLanelli
Oh well I think I will wait until they develop the correct exhaust as they aren't cheap. Well in the mean time I got my wheel spacers delivered today and have ordered a JB4 tuning box. Might look into getting steering wheel paddle extensions, so I should be ok for this month. I get bored easily so I might put my candy orange Oxigin wheels on to see what they look like

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
@Nivster, I had a res delete done on my 2017 St300 and to be honest it didn’t rally do that much because of the massive silencer each side of the exit pipe. I ordered a cat back system from a German exhaust company with rs4/6 tips and smaller silencers and it made a BIG difference,exactly how these cars should sound,there a few people who can vouch for this with the car meets that we have a few time a year.
be55a92b1bfb9578b42572e29fd65dfe.jpg
6a684184901e6117ec5257ba320bc77f.jpg

Where did you get yours? Looks great.

Deano j1971

Jan 5, 2018
Where did you get yours? Looks great.

@Zer0, got it from a German company called Friedrich Motorsports.Lots of different tip designs to choose from but I didn’t like the chrome so I sprayed them black myself. This cat back with a res delete sounds bloody damn fine, just how it should be.Thanks for the comment by the way.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
@Zer0, got it from a German company called Friedrich Motorsports.Lots of different tip designs to choose from but I didn’t like the chrome so I sprayed them black myself. This cat back with a res delete sounds bloody damn fine, just how it should be.Thanks for the comment by the way.

Cheers :)

Marko_33

Jan 28, 2020
Hey, has anyone removed the backbox on the 2019 ST Cupra?
This guy did it and it sounds great imo.

Anyway i was wondering if i were to remove the centre resonator and the backbox on the 5 door hatchback (GPF).
What are the benefits of removing the backbox compared to a resonator delete?

Much appreciated guys!

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
On the facebook groups I believe the drone is unbearable and they've ended up putting smaller back boxes back in.

Marko_33

Jan 28, 2020
On the facebook groups I believe the drone is unbearable and they've ended up putting smaller back boxes back in.

Yes i thought the same way. However with the GPF in place the drone might not be excessive. I think those posts were about pre-GPF Cupras and the drone was indeed unbearable.

KernelOkey

Dec 18, 2018
Yes i thought the same way. However with the GPF in place the drone might not be excessive. I think those posts were about pre-GPF Cupras and the drone was indeed unbearable.
Nope, have 3 friends that did backbox delete on GPF Cupra ST. They all had to put on backboxes

Reactions: Damo H

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
No this was very much a GPF car. The 4drive drones with just a res delete on the none GPF cars (Talking from experience).

Marko_33

Jan 28, 2020
Nope, have 3 friends that did backbox delete on GPF Cupra ST. They all had to put on backboxes

No this was very much a GPF car. The 4drive drones with just a res delete on the none GPF cars (Talking from experience).

Cheers both! This settles it for me. No backbox delete :D

While we are on the topic of GPF Cupras and you guys know a few owners. As VW changed all post-WLTP cars (Golf R, S3, Cupra, Gti) from a dual port injection (MPI) to a single direct injection setup, did any of the owners noticed or reported any carbon buildup ? It is supposed to be a far bigger concern on single direct injection engines.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members