Moisture in front headlamp

iendicott

Jul 24, 2004
Peterborough
Washed the car yesterday and noticed condensation in the near side headlamp assembly, am I right in thinking this needs to be looked at under warranty as this would fail an MOT or is this normal ?

Thing is the wife is taken the car in to have a few things done and I don't want her fobbed off with the Techie's saying this is normal for a little condensation to appear in the light cluster.

Thanks

blocky

If you can let me know how you get on, as I also have condensation in the headlights.

I am waiting for my first service, which will be shortly.

Jun 5, 2008
Leeds
hi, on my last car as 2004 Ibiza cupra i suffered this problem. During the first 2 years of owning it i had the headlights replaced 5 times!!!!
If you get condensation take a pciture when it is at its worst. Go the stealers and tell them and dont get fobbed off. I was told by my local stealer (JCT 600 Rawdon who have to the one of the worst by far) that to get them fixed they would need to take the headlights off the car and submerge them in water, if they found a leak in a seal they would replace them if not then i would be charged the labour. I spoke to seat and found this totally wrong and seat will replace them. After numerous visits and finally speaking to trading standards the garage agreed to fix them (over and over again as each new set suffered the same problem)

Jun 5, 2008
Leeds
I wouldnt think it would as long as your lights arent swimming, it would depend and how the water interferes with the lights when they come to align them

Mogster

Apr 2, 2008
I used to be bothered by this, both my Alfa's did it and so does my Leon to a degree. Then I saw a newish Ferrari parked in Manchester town centre, it had the worst case of headlight condensation I've ever seen. made me feel a bit better.

I can't see how it can be stopped. Moist air warmed by the engine trapped in the headlights, cold outside air cooling the outer glass........ The only way to stop it completely would be to assemble the lighting units in a vaccum and then make 100% sure they remained as a sealed unit, no?

I can only see it being an MOT failiure if lots of rain water was getting in.

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
Washed the car yesterday and noticed condensation in the near side headlamp assembly, am I right in thinking this needs to be looked at under warranty as this would fail an MOT or is this normal ?

Thing is the wife is taken the car in to have a few things done and I don't want her fobbed off with the Techie's saying this is normal for a little condensation to appear in the light cluster.

Thanks

Hello, I was not happy about this either as i have been trying to keep my car clean whenever possible but when i went to dealers back in cardiff, I asked about the mist & condensation this is not a fault..(expected) apparently it was how it was it made back in the factory they said nothing they can do about it. Kinda annoyed me as if am going to have xenons don't fancy it misting up.

Bainie

Oct 22, 2007
I have the same, really annoying, I would think it would soon burn off with the lights on though ..

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
A lot of the Ibiza owners have drilled small holes in the light covers to get rid of the condenstation on their lights and that has seemed to work (I have seen CHR15Bs done and it has made a difference in his) Maybe it could help. If that fails you can always get replacement covers.
Alex

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
As mentioned this is a common fault on ibiza mk4`s. It shouldn`t fail an mot unless its so bad it affects the beam or the reflector is rusty (it is plastic though)
You often see cars on forecourts with this problem as they have been jetwashed, you should avoid the headlamps whenever using a high presure water. I am not saying you do, but maybe the previous owner or dealer/garage have done so.
You could try taking off the back and using a hairdryer, or If sunny (not likely I know) park with the front of the car in direct sunlight with the backs removed to dry out.
One of mine was like a goldfish bowl (ibiza) and it was replaced as it was very dirty inside.

If its bad complain and get it replaced, just avoid any pressure washing around them

seremotors

Dave the Parts Manager
Mar 11, 2008
Belfast UK
www.seatcupra.net
this a really common problem, not just on SEATs. The procedure is for the dealer to email a pic of the affected unit to SEAT Warranty who then decide whether to allow a new one or not. I had a foglamp replaced this way but the new one is as bad . . . .
We used to fix Puntos by drilling 1/8" hole in the base of the headlamp ;)

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Okay, I've just had an MOT on my wife's Polo - got an advisory for moisture in headlight - I did not notice it until it had been reported, I had washed the car the night before and have never had this problem (moisture in headlight) before - just my luck - what brilliant timing - now I will have to examine this assembly and add some sealant if needed - BTW I don't use jetwash on it.

foxy367

May 12, 2007
Wigan
I changed my bulbs and left the cover off. It rained and when i put the cover back on i got condensation inside. I took the cover back off and ran it with the lights on for a good half hour or so. Allowed the lights to cool and on a dry day put the cover back on.

It hasn't returned since and I clean it at work with a high pressure jet wash. This may or may not solve your problem but must be worth a try.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I have not looked at it again, wife has car at work, but I would think as it has never been a problem before, in my case I might have a leaking plastic glass to reflector assembly seal - could run RTV round it (means taking bumper off I suppose!!) or consider pricing up a set of FK projector beam light - then fit HIDs - still a worry about legality though!

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise