Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Most Hideous / Embarassing Courtesy Cars

Discussion in 'SEAT UK Dealer Network' started by Speed-FReek, Apr 1, 2015.

1. '& Son' managed

'& Son' managed Third Party

Despite me not liking a 2004 first-generation 'auto' Citroen C3 I was lent years ago, I have to defend the current version to an extent,
    (not least because I chose to buy one over other similar cars for my Missus.)

For sure it's no driver's car, but then it's not sold as such and - (the odd hot hatch version aside) - Citroen's never have been.
    Comfort is what they are supposed to be about and the current C3 certainly rides more comfortably/deals with speedhumps
    better than all of it's supermini rivals that I tried, including the rather tinny-feeling Aygo. It is also surprisingly quiet, (certainly no
    noisier than Father's 6 month newer 1.2 Leon.)

Although the steering is too light and feel is rather limited, so it is with most modern electric-assisted systems. The car handles perfectly
    ok at low/medium speeds without the pitching/yawing of her previous GM supermini and cruises quite well at high speed on the motorway.

A B-road blast reveals it's handling limitations quickly enough, (the poorly set-up rear suspension being the main culprit) and is certainly
    unpleasant to drive in such circumstances, but then it's not built or sold for that and most owners wouldn't drive it in that manner anyway.

The 3 cylinder engine has enough power for this type of car and has a good amount of low-down torque which suits the relaxed nature of the car well. The touchscreen is annoying at first until you get used to it, but the 'important' safety functions like instant demist and HRW are on 'normal' buttons below the screen anyway. The screen icons just mean it takes longer to change some features than is ideal - a minor PITA
    sometimes, but nothing more. In short, it suits it's intended clientele pretty well - but wannabe racers certainly need not apply.

2. ChrisM75

ChrisM75 Active Member

I thought the ride was actually choppy and floaty, and speed bumps really made the car unsettled at the rear, ive never known a car make speed bumps seem so violent. It always felt like it was going to tip over or slide off the road. They simply feel unsafe.

The Aircross is all that and actually uncomfortable, which really defeats the only point in a Citroen. Reviews have also noted the poor ride.

3. '& Son' managed

Although I have to reaffirm the rear suspension quickly runs out of ideas if driven with any gusto, I feel that the car
    copes with 20/30 limit speed bumps better than most superminis, even if it is only by virtue of it's softer spring settings
    and in the case of her mid-trim version, lots of soundproofing, (maybe it's quieter than a more basic version.)

I don't recognize any violent reactions in the suspension, only sometimes with the brakes, which to my taste are
    over-servoed and so excessively sharp in some situations, but that's just like a 'proper' Citroen of many years ago.

Then again, my wife likes this trait as it makes her feel it is safe because of the 'strong brakes' and much prefers the
    quieter, soft(ish) ride to both her previous Aveo and the new Corsa loan car she drove recently. She also prefers the
    typical PSA longer-throw gearlever, (although I don't.)

However, neither of us has felt it lacks in levels of grip or feels unsafe in any way, indeed it has a touch more safety
    understeer and is more progressive than many cars with much stiffer suspension, which is a reassuring feeling for her,
    who I admit is no 'driver' nor has any ambition to be.

4. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

anything vauxhall

had a brand new astra, absolutely horrible thing

'& Son' managed likes this.
  5. '& Son' managed

Must have been in limp mode or faulty in some other way then, Although obviously a slow car, (and despite a better seller,
    not as good a car as the Panda it's based on) I managed an indicated 90 in one once...

6. camelspyyder

camelspyyder 2 SEAT-er

This week - one of the worst courtesy cars ever - a 19 plate with 59 miles Seat Ibiza Mk6 with the asthmatic MPI engine and less than 80 bhp.

And also a computer/electric bug that randomly disabled:

Front Assist
    Cruise
    Airbags
    Headlamp auto height adjust
    A/C and fan
    Gearchange indicator
    Central Locking
    Seatbelt warnings
    and no doubt loads more!

In addition the ECU was misbehaving on the over-run giving a rocking effect at speed.
    It felt like the fuel cut off wasn't actually doing that on lifting off the accelerator.

What a piece of junk.

7. Nathan penney

Nathan penney Nathan P

Assume you don’t have one of these yourself then? Lol

8. camelspyyder

camelspyyder 2 SEAT-er

Nope. I have a reliable Mk 5 that was £9k OTR brand new 4 years ago, as opposed to the £17.4k sticker on the !"$&**@ Mk 6 that I just drove.

This is progress?

9. moriarty

moriarty Active Member

A long time ago now but when I started my first proper job (early 90s) one of my colleagues had an Astra.
    When his car needed work several times he got a pale yellow Tigra which he made me drive us to construction sites in.

10. ChrisM75

ChrisM75 Active Member

Wasnt the Astra embarrassing enough?

11. perelaar

perelaar Active Member

Friend brought in for maintenance (years ago) a Porsche Panamera Turbo S to the dealership he bought it from here in Belgium - and had to pay 30€ / day for courtesy car. He received a VW Polo Fox, 60 hp diesel, without airco or radio.

Never went back to that dealer, only buys his Porsche cars in Germany now. Every maintenance there's a free choice of replacement cars, as of course the dealer there knows that once you drive something better you want it :)