MOT on a 65 plate car

Oceansplasher

Mar 1, 2016
Hi guys. quick question. My service plan and MOT are out of sync and so my next service is due Jan 2019 but my 65 plate Leon (Registered 10/09/2015) will be due its first MOT soon. As all my previous cars have been service and MOT together, my question is this - how soon do I need to get the MOT done and can I do it weeks before the 10 September date and the car have say a year and 3 weeks of valid MOT? Or should I wait to much closer the 10 Sept date?

I can't imagine the car will fail and will be gutted if it does!! (only done 22k)

Any advice appreciated.

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
MOT must be done from a calendar month before the due date but is not valid at any point after. They want to preserve the MOT dates for vehicles so it is consistently done at yearly intervals.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
As already said - you can take it in up to a month before and preserve the date.

However - you can take it in earlier - it will just require another mot 12 months after the first one.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hi guys. quick question. My service plan and MOT are out of sync and so my next service is due Jan 2019 but my 65 plate Leon (Registered 10/09/2015) will be due its first MOT soon. As all my previous cars have been service and MOT together, my question is this - how soon do I need to get the MOT done and can I do it weeks before the 10 September date and the car have say a year and 3 weeks of valid MOT? Or should I wait to much closer the 10 Sept date?

I can't imagine the car will fail and will be gutted if it does!! (only done 22k)

Any advice appreciated.

I believe you can have it done anytime after 10th of August, but make sure that you point out the date of first registration and they should put the expiry date one year from that.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I always have mind done slightly early, that way if it did fail on something that wasn't major, the current MOT would cover you.

Reactions: DEAN0

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
I always have mind done slightly early, that way if it did fail on something that wasn't major, the current MOT would cover you.
You would have a valid MOT remaining but you could get done for driving a car you know to unroadworthy.

OP you could get an MOT at three years and again at service and bring all back into sync if it's important.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.