MOT / Warranty question

Oceansplasher

Mar 1, 2016
Hi. My 65 plate Leon just had its first MOT which passed (as it should do really!) but they have put on an advisory for a repair next time or it would fail.

The advisory is this - "Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect - offside front."

The cars warranty is until 10 September, so my question is this - do I need to action anything now, is it something that is covered in the current warranty until the 10th and would a dealer even be prepared to look at it? The car has done 25k miles and is still serviced from new by the same dealer.

Again, thanks for any input.

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hmm, personally I would think a shock would be classed as a wear and tear item like a clutch. However... how many miles have you done? Mines a 61 plate and I'm still on the original shocks (and running with lowering springs). But... I wouldn't see any harm in giving the dealer a call anyway... worst they can say is no and your no worse off.

Bevii3

Jun 27, 2018
My car is a 65 plate which i bought recently. i was told the car had some misting on the same shock as you but was told they wouldnt change it as it was within there tolerances which I think they said was misting within 150mm down the shock. but they told me to get it checked when the mot is due in January and if it needs doing then they will do it for nothing, and if they cant do it on warranty the dealer sort the cost themselves. I got them to put this in writing to save me any fuss when it comes to it, knowing how stubborn dealers can be

EFF11

Jun 16, 2016
Seat have issued Technical Product Information document 2026585/2 about this issue.

This is the text of the document: It includes an illustration, but my copy is too faint to reproduce

A minor loss of oil (condensation) is normal and is not justification for replacing a shock absorber. A shock absorber is considered to have no defects if it meets the following conditions:

a) A minor loss of oil (Dark colouring of the shock absorber) visible but matt, weak and dry due to dust.

b) Loss of oil spreads in the area of the upper seal of the shock absorber (piston seal).down to,at most, the dished spring.

Observations

A slight loss of oil is beneficial, as it lubricates the piston seal, prolonging it's service life.

Damaged shock absorbers can be detected by knocking or detonation noises, usually together with visible oil leaks.

This video does support their claims

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.