Moving Rear Washer Fix - How to Guide

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
As I promised I am finally getting round to doing a " How to guide " to fix the rear washer problem, this should sort the following problems:
Moving washer jet when wiper is on
Short length of jet
Leaking screen wash from behind boot trim (could be hose popped off though)

Please bare with me as this is my first how to guide and it may take a little time to finish

Part Number I used : - 8LO 998 711 available from Seat or VW

A3RearWiperRepairKit.jpg

Contents of kit are shown in pic above

1. First thing to to do is remove the inner boot trim. This is quite tough and I was worried about breaking it as alot of others were, so I have read. To remove trim undo the 2 "posi" screws, one located in each grab handle . Next is the horrible bit, the trim is now just held in with "pop in" trim clips. I removed the foglight access panels and put my hand in and prised the trim off that way while also pulling on the grab handles.

2. Skip this section if your washer jet moves as you know its definetly broken. With the boot trim off you will now be able to see the wiper motor assembley and the screen wash pipe. Get someone to sit in the car and squirt the rear washer you can check for where the leak is coming from.

3. Now with everything checked first thing to do is make sure u have the wiper motor repair kit and some kitchen towel or rags.

4. Remove the rear wiper arm by lifting up the cap and undoing the nut on top. From memory I think the nut is 13mm some penertrating oil or WD40 is handy at this point as some people have found that the wiper arm is quite difficult to get off.

5. With the wiper arm removed i disconnected the washer pipe from the back of the motor assembley and wrapped the open end with some rag incased there was any leaking. I also disconnedted the wiring too.

6. This now leaves only the 3 bolts holding the motor in. Undo the 3 bolts being careful not to drop the motor on you head !!

Image459.jpg

7. With the motor removed I went inside where i had a decent surface to work on, as there is a number of parts to strip on the motor.

8. Put the motor on a flat surface, undo the 7 bronze coloured torx screws on the silver plate

Image479-1.jpg

9. Remove the plate, the bronze tube will be attached.

Image460.jpg

10. The old bronze tube needs to be replaced with the new one from the kit

Image461.jpg

The difference in length between the new and old tubes

Image462.jpg

11. The internal spindle will need to be removed and replaced as part of the bronze tube may still be seized or stuck inside, the kit comes with a new spindle any way.

Image467.jpg

12. In the Kit will be 2 different tubes of grease with the separate part numbers on the tubes themselves. Using the one listed on the sheet of paper included in the kit coat all moving parts and the spindle, insert the spindle and the lug into place.

13. Clip the new brass pipe into the back plate and screw the plate it onto the housing.

14. The instructions say to now insert the new plastic jet into the brass pipe. I felt that it would be better to reassemble everything into the boot first so that i can make sure the jet is spraying in the correct direction. Be gentle as i managed to snap the new jet and had to use the old one.

15. Bolt the assembly back onto the tailgate reconnecting the fluid pipe and the electrics. Before replacing the wiper arm check the spray and the direction of wiper arm movement.

16. Fit wiper arm on, and gently pust plastic jet into the brass spindle making sure the jet faces directly upwards ! !

Stand back with a cup of tea and admire your handy work and think how much you have save on dealer labour costs.

Last edited:

MK R BOY

Mar 5, 2008
Thanks for your efforts so far, do you have the part number for the repair kit and whether you got it from Seat or VW? cheers

Lee

MK R BOY

Mar 5, 2008
Hi Again

Sorry to be a pain!!

Ive just had a look at pulling off my trim, it seems pretty well attached to the plastic boot trim that is attached on either side of the boot, ie the trim that runs up the side of the glass.

When I pull it does this just come away or is there a particular way to pull the trim off.

Again thanks a lot

SalSheikh

Under the Hood
Sep 2, 2009
Midlands, UK
the trim is an absolute nightmare [:@], i fixed my leak yesterday in the side of the boot :D. kept thinki i was gonna break i! cant get it to sit porperly on one side now :cry:

cupra-rich

Dec 28, 2008
coventry
side trim is seperate to boot cover, but is attached to it. i pulled mine from a bottom corner then worked it up then over.needs a firm pull.

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
MK R boy - I have somewhere, got mine from VW, you will need the part number as when i asked for the washer repair kit he wanted to flog me a whole motor

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
Part number is either 8LO 998 711 or 1JC 955 711 C

I think the VAG range used both bosch and Valeo motors, and I'm not sure which is which, but should be one of the part number above.

D3DNA

May 14, 2006
Cov
I tried to get the inner boot trim off of my car, this involved me hanging off the grab handles while my dad held the boot open. Imagine if you will a 6'3" 20 stone man (me) hanging off the boot trim while my dad 6'2" 25 stone holding it open and it didn't budge! It is a fecking pain to try and get off and in the end I cba hehe. I'd like to see the results or your how to guide and may give this a try.

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
Gavinchappell, the worst that will happen is the tube will snap totally and will start to fill your boot with screenwash as there is a rubber o ring near the top of the tube to prevent water re-entering. Normally the break in the tube will be below the o ring and therefore will not stop the water leaking into your boot.

I found it easier to put my hand in through the foglight covers and start it that way, but i agree it is a right pig.

UAP

Hi guys, prompt as to remove a protective Сap оf Wiper arm? I'm afraid of it to damage

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
It's resonably flexable. be gentle and it should be ok to prise one lug out a time and it should pop off

UAP

Thanks for the answer. I managed to remove a cap without having damaged it.
Here still an example of fixing bugs from Russian guys by means of a core gel pen h_t_t_p://volkswagen.msk.ru/vw_faq/images/omyvatel.jpg

Cupra TDI 150

Sep 25, 2007
Sounds like it might be the jet, however the bronze pipe doesn't move at all, its the outside nozzle that rotates when the wiper arm moves. So not sure how the jet moves on its own, have you tried pushing a small screwdriver up the spindle as i thought my pipe wasn't broken but actually was.

Dozer360

mk1 Seat Leon 20v T
Jun 1, 2010
southampton
hi people. I have just swapped my rear wiper motor. i was going to get the repair kit (im told it costs about £27) but i saw a second hand motor on ebay for £10 so i snapped it up. took a while to get the tail gate plastic off but i just pulled most of them off. but if anyone plans to take the cover off remove the light covers and put ur hand past the bulbs and there is a small plastic clip/lug that needs to be pushed inwards then the top part of the trim will come away easier. the rest of the clips were slid out of the plastic or just snapped off as i decided it was better to break the clips rather than the plastic. although when i was putting it back together i decided not to use any clips so the next time i need to get in there its just 2 screws and 2 plastic clips and it seems to work fine so far.

i do plan to do a skoda fabia estate wiper conversion as soon as i find a skoda dealer near Southampton but i have just ordered a full aero wiper kit from ebay (fronts and back) so its not too urgent.

Jblaze

Aug 28, 2012
Recently I had the same issue. Instead of getting a repair kit, I opened the wiper motor and changed the broken bronze tube with a piece of TV antenna tube. I've also drilled the spindle to clear it from the remaining pieces and rust from the old bronze tube. After that I've put all together and reinstalled the motor in the car. And here comes the bad part - while I was tightening the wiper nut I pressed too hard and broke the spindle through the thread. The wiper arm was still able to be held to the motor but wasn't good enough.
So I bought a second hand rear wiper motor from Golf 4 with the same issue. I've repeat the cleaning procedure for the spindle and placed it in my old motor. Put it back in my car, it works fine, but the wiper turns to a wider angle and goes below the rear windshield with a inch or two.
Has someone faced the same issue? I would be grateful for any advice. Thank you.