MP3 player input into satnav equipped toledo

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I'm trying to figure out how I can plug my MP3 player into the Toledo. My previous car had a tape player, so one of those tape adaptor thingies did the job. My wifes car has got an aux in, so I don't have to worry with that. But I'm struggling with the Toledo.

I have bought one of those FM modulators and it works ok-ish. The line out from the MP3 player had to be boosted and there's a high pitched whine coming through the speakers, but apart from that it does work.

But I would much prefer to get the signal into the head unit in a much more direct way. Has anyone got any ideas what I could do? Is there something on the CD multichanger that might work, or perhaps the TV/DVD input on the head unit? I've seen other posts on using the DVD in, but the closest I can find is that it needs a special lead, and the option won't become visible until there is something properly installed.

v5er

Feb 18, 2007
Lancs.
There's definitely an Aux input on the CD changer and Seat uk sell "Aux leads" which are 3.5" to 3.5" connectors. Tesco sell them for around a quid. I went one further and got a bluetooth car kit (iO play) which is ideal so I can stream music and use my phone from one device.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
That sounds perfect! I have to admit I've not looked at the CD changer, where will the input be? I'm guessing at the back?

How do you select 'aux' on the head unit once its plugged into the CD changer? Or does it take over the changer duties?

If its 3.5 to 3.5 I probably already have one from my audio 'experiments'...

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I took the CD changer out at lunchtime and couldn't find anything that resembled an aux in. In fact, I didn't see anything at all! Its just a black box with a lead coming out of it.

Any ideas?

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Ouch! Thats expensive! It would probably do the trick, but unfortunately I am the cheapest person on the planet, so I'll always look for the cheapest option!

ironside

Dec 8, 2006
Hi Slimy

Iirc the conection is on the back of the head unit not the cd changer,if you get a longish lead and bring it out between the dash & centre console your mp3 can sit near the ashtray area.The Headunit can be a bit of a pig to get out,i ended taking out the glovebox and pushing it out from the back,-this was to do something else but seem to remember seeing the connections there

Hope this helps

Dave

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I understand what you mean now. From Elsawin, I can see there's the standard music pinouts, a block for line outs, a block for displays and stuff, then the block for the CD changer that I think you're on about.

According to the manual a set of keys should be enough to remove the head unit, and they're usually only a few pence to obtain off Ebay. So I guess the back of the head unit is my next destination.

Thanks for the pointers, I definitely feel like I'm getting close to a solution! :)

Tolly

Feb 5, 2009
Leeds
The keys to remove the radio are available from most motor factors for only a couple of pounds....

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Yup, I've managed to find them in lots of places. But I have found two types that both list 'SEAT'. One is like a really fat cross at the end of it, the other has one straight edge and one curved edge, like a little tiny sword. Any suggestions on which ones are the right ones?

ironside

Dec 8, 2006
Cant help you with the type of keys-when i said it was a pig to get out it was well and truly stuck -i understand a lot of dealers used to remove the sat nav head units if the cars were on the forecourt to stop em getting stolen (apparently 2 grand when new!!),i had a prob with mine and trying to get it out found that they had damaged some of the pins that hold it in & had managed to refit the unit from a different car which is why my sat nav disk & pin code would not work-which they had given me,all caused by a flat battery...!,the other problem is unlike a unit with a cassette slot theres nowhere to stuff your fingers to pull it out :shrug:

Let us know how you get on!

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I saw a recon unit on Ebay for £400, so 2K for a new one sounds about right!!

The manual suggests keys with a finger loop, so I'm guessing they hook on somewhere and thats how you remove the head unit. But as a precaution I've already had a look on how to remove the glovebox! :)

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
OK, think I've found everything now. First, the radio removal keys;

VW AUDI SEAT SKODA RADIO REMOVAL TOOLS MFD MFD-2 RNS-E

(Found by a bit of searching on here, then following an old Ebay link)

Now the wire to replace the CD changer with a pair of phono sockets;

Signal input AUX BLAUPUNKT,Becker,VDO Mini-ISO/2RCA

So with any luck I should have an MP3 player hooked up for less than a tenner!!

Before I get them ordered, has anyone had any experience with this type of lead? I'm not expecting a good quality lead, I'll probably save the connector and replace the wires and sockets with some good audio stuff I have.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
OK, it didn't work out so well. The keys came, the radio came out very easily. I unplugged the CD changer and plugged in my MP3 player (very nice fit surprisingly and the lead is good quality), but when I turned the radio on it said no CD changeer and disabled the menu option. :(

I had a quick flick through VAG-COM to see if I could convince it to allow the menu option without a CD changer, but all I could find was the fault codes telling me exactly what I already knew!

So I need to figure out how to confuse the radio into thinking its still there. I'm tempted to open the connector and plug the MP3 input directly onto the appropriate pins, but thats alot of fiddling about with pins with potential of damaging the connector.

Does anyone know how to tell the radio it has a CD changer attached? I suppose the same could be applied to the TV input, the connector is a standard mini DIN and I could make up a lead, but I'd then be back to telling the unit that there is a TV connected.

Baffled Spoon

Nov 17, 2008
Glasgow
Is there no dedicated aux input on the back of the unit then? I would be intrested to hook up my mp3 too. I just assumed it would be a simple fix because when I press the Audio button on the radio, it does list an aux option as being available along with the ones for the cd changer and am/fm radio :confused:

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
In the end I've chopped up the cable and fed the MP3 player audio into the head unit CD input, but without removing the player signals. And it works really nicely, I now have a 3.5mm connector on a lead coming out roughly where the VAG-COM port is. The only problem now is that I need to make a CD with no gaps, otherwise the gaps will translate into pauses in my music!!

There wasn't anything other than what I already knew about, no dedicated aux in I'm afraid. And as far as I can tell whatever goes in has to be controlled by the head unit, otherwise it won't appear as selectable.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.