MPG figures

Grant Batsford

Jun 7, 2018
Hi, I just recently went from a 2015 Leon FR 2.0 TDI 150 to a 2018 1.8 tsi FR ST dsg. In my old Leon I was averaging 40+ mpg around town and 50/60+ country & Motorway driving, my new ST struggles to hit 30 mpg around town, and that's with me driving like a saint. The ST is obviously heavier then the hatchback but should it really be averaging 28-29mpg around town?

Owen83

Feb 9, 2018
My 1.4 Eco TSI ST averages 44 on my commute... 2 miles of town & 4 of Dual carriage way.....

Went from home to Warrington the other day, 60 miles of 30 - 50 MPH on M6...... 69MPG

silles

May 4, 2017
Hi, I just recently went from a 2015 Leon FR 2.0 TDI 150 to a 2018 1.8 tsi FR ST dsg. In my old Leon I was averaging 40+ mpg around town and 50/60+ country & Motorway driving, my new ST struggles to hit 30 mpg around town, and that's with me driving like a saint. The ST is obviously heavier then the hatchback but should it really be averaging 28-29mpg around town?

u went from diesel to petrol, 28-29 sounds about right, that's what I'm getting with 5 door Cupra on a very good day

Reactions: kazand

Kempo

2015 Leon 1.4 FR EcoTSI
Dec 30, 2017
My 1.4 FR EcoTSI is averaging around 37-39mpg long term. Around town with commute in traffic and then a few miles of motorway it is doing about 35mpg. On long motorway and steady cruise speed it is better and nearer 45mpg. I don't drive it that hard yet it won't do more than that. Strangely, I seem to be getting better or the same on my commute by using Normal rather than Eco mode! I had expected the 1.4 to be more economical as its way off the quoted 60mpg combined.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I'm getting 50 to 60mpg on my 1.4 EcoTSI 150 FR, at only 1,600 miles on the clock I'm very happy - my last 2.0 TDI took 20,000 miles to get even close to that.

Try using the eco trainer to see where your style is causing problems. I find these smaller petrol engines can be very economical but only if driven sympathetically.

hellooo

Nov 2, 2014
It will get better with mileage. See whether V Power/Momentum makes any difference. Some, including me, find it does whilst others don't. My Cupra DSG ST gets around 30-31 average. 33 typical on commute using mixture of roads. 36 best I've seen, although computer is optimistic, so shave at least 2mpg off all figures for reality.

Grant Batsford

Jun 7, 2018
Thanks guys, I've been using the eco trainer since yesterday and seem to be getting 95-98 on eco points, out in it today I managed to average 34mpg. I'll certainly try the additive and see if it helps, but I thought the whole bedding in process for new engines was redundant in modern cars?

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Thanks guys, I've been using the eco trainer since yesterday and seem to be getting 95-98 on eco points, out in it today I managed to average 34mpg. I'll certainly try the additive and see if it helps, but I thought the whole bedding in process for new engines was redundant in modern cars?
No, engines still need break in periods. They're just not as restrictive as the old days. Economy improves, given the same driving conditions, as the engine loosens up and cylinder pressures improve.

Grant Batsford

Jun 7, 2018
When I had my previous FR I was told to not push it to hard for the first 500 miles or so. Luckily just got back from a quick trip to Tesco's, 6 mile round trip and averaged 38mpg in eco, so if it continues to improve even only slightly I'll be happy, the cars only just done 150miles since last Thursday, and it only had the factory 8 miles when I picked it up.

silles

May 4, 2017

some say bedding in is less important than it used to be. however my mpg definitely improved. Also oil temp is drop a bit which make sense when u have less friction all over. Not just the engine that needs running in

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I have a long term average of 47 in my facelift 1.4 eco tsi fr in just over 24k.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

I had the SE Tech 2.0 TDI DSG, and got 35-40mpg medium traffic (in town), 40-45mpg (light traffic in town), 40-50mph roads free flowing traffic 55-65mpg, 70mph cruise control, around 57-62mpg.

Judging from my petrol engine, only after 7-8k miles it becomes more economical (or maybe because the tyres have worn down and have less rolling resistance). My best mpg figures usually came with Shell Vpower 99 and Esso 97 (petrols).

What does your mpg hover at with the 1.8TSI?, during 50mph and 70mph constant drives? I remember 2.0TDI it would be ~ 80mpg and 60mpg. My 1.0 TSI would be ~ 70mpg and 50mpg. I'm only assuming in these conditions 1.8TSI would show 55mpg and 45 mpg perhaps.

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne

Simple answer I think mate... Diesel to Petrol.

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
My 1.4 FR EcoTSI is averaging around 37-39mpg long term. Around town with commute in traffic and then a few miles of motorway it is doing about 35mpg. On long motorway and steady cruise speed it is better and nearer 45mpg. I don't drive it that hard yet it won't do more than that. Strangely, I seem to be getting better or the same on my commute by using Normal rather than Eco mode! I had expected the 1.4 to be more economical as its way off the quoted 60mpg combined.
That's about the same as my 1.4 FR EcoTSI ST, I had also expected it to be a lot better!

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I never use eco mode in mine for that very reason. Acceleration is dull and the engine tends to Labour more which is why it uses just as much fuel. My long term average is 47 in mine with steady flowing a road traffic so you're figures make sense. I have seen a "from start" figure in mine on one of my commutes of 62mpg before but it doesn't happen very often and my overall average stays pretty constant. You can really push the mpg figures if you keep it in 2 cylinder mode by lightly applying throttle etc.

I also don't change up to 6th when the gear indicator tells me to at around 40mph as this drops the revs out of the act rev range. I hang onto 5th until just below 50mph to keep it in act range.

Kempo

2015 Leon 1.4 FR EcoTSI
Dec 30, 2017
Interesting comment about not changing up to 6th too early as I tend to do that to try and get economy but hadn’t thought about the revs and ACT range. Will try something a bit different and see. Thanks.

Reactions: R4CK5

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I though ACT was more to pass a lower emissions test than for economy?

Mine spends hardly any time in ACT, but still getting 50+ mpg long term.

Lift and coast, never use the brakes!

Reactions: silles

Cupra Belfast

Jun 11, 2016
I'm getting about 26-27 round town, and less hammering it when I get the chance. Long runs to Dublin Airport from Belfast the early am, mid to high 30s, averaging just over 70 mph, front door to parked up. Cupra with JB4, DP etc.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.