MPG leon 1.4 tsi 150

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
My 2016 leon st fr 1.4 tsi 15o is doing 37 mpg instead of the 44 mpg when I took delivery In February. Due to the auto box hanging in 1st gear seat recalibrated the gears but I have lost the coasting facility and the economy has dropped but according to seat 37mpg is right for this car. Can owners of this model give me a clue on their mpg as I don't think seat are right. I have tried all modes but the mpg comes out the same at around 37. Aggie

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
I think you will find most get about 35 around town and 45 on a run so average high 30's is about right, that's what we get from this engine in a polo. eco it aint

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I have the older 1.4tsi 140bhp engine and my long term average is about 46mpg.
Should definitely be higher than 37mpg unless you are doing loads of short journeys or always in stop / start traffic.

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Many thanks to Danfr180 and Chrisribiza for feedback. My journeys are mixed a and b roads and motorways with little or no town driving it was showing 44mpg before Seat started messing with it. I now see that I have lost the coasting facility. Seat UK contacted me and that they are going to conduct a full technical survey of the gear box. It still hangs in 1st gear without changing up once or twice a day. I love the car but I wish that I had opted for a manual now I could do without all the agro of backwards and forewards to the main agents who keep saying that there is nothing wrong hence my complaint direct to Seat UK I am sure it should be doing more to the gallon? and there is something definately wrong with the auto box aggie

Looie

Apr 26, 2016
Harlow, Essex
I have had my manual 2016 1.4 150 with ACT since 7th July and whilst I turn off the stop start thingy as soon as I start up I still get around 40-45 mpg in my daily use, none of that motorway driving, just A and B roads...

If I go on a run on a motorway, I had 53mpg as my average not long after I got the car... (did have a picture of the dash display to prove it, but haven't got enough posts yet to get it passed)....

So your consumption does look a bit odd to be honest... an auto should be better than that I would have thought...

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
I've been very disappointed with the consumption on mine bought new December '15, I've only done 4000mls with mixture of driving, the best I've had is 37mpg brim to brim and this last fill up was only 32mpg! When I compared the official consumption figures of this car against my previous car (Golf MK6 2.0 TDI 140 manual) the Leon was theoretically much better, I used to get low to mid 40's mpg in the Golf with the same driving style. Thing is with the Golf it would be in top (6th) gear at a certain speed but in the Leon I'm lucky if it's in 6th if not 5th (7spd auto) at the same speed!
PS I do tend to drive it a bit rapidly.

Last edited:

mick_n3

Jul 23, 2014
Kettering Northants
Just checked mine, 2200 miles on clock 43.6 mpg daily commute with an average speed 35mph. I have had it up to 58 mpg on nice steady cruise on the motorway, so yours does sound a bit low

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
My long term is 49.5, my commute regularly sees 55 but will get 40-45 on short runs. I've had 63 out of it on one drive :p

FRoSTy

Mar 26, 2016
My long term is 49.5, my commute regularly sees 55 but will get 40-45 on short runs. I've had 63 out of it on one drive :p

Same here. 1.4 tsi ACT in an ST body, September 2014 model, 18 inch Titanium wheels.

On a long regular motorway run around 100 miles, I get about 55mpg, and sometimes close to 60mpg by the end for the journey. But that's on the M1 which has speed cameras nearly the whole way from from Nottingham to Leeds, so speeds are very sensible and includes much time at 50mph. Getting 60mpg requires very careful, relaxed driving, but it is easy to do.

It becomes a game to keep it in Eco mode for as long as possible. Using cruise control helps a lot with this - it just seems to be more relaxed on the throttle and keeps it on 2 cylinders. Also, I find I don't follow the advice to change gear too soon - leaving it in 5th and on 2 cylinders on a slight hill seems better than going to 6th and having 4 cylinder mode kick in. Aggressive driving kills it. When trying to accelerate quickly, it's easy to see the instant fuel reading can drop to under 10mpg, so take it easy.

The downside of the steady M1 commute is that you begin to wonder why you bought a 148 bhp car in the first place, and fantasise about track days and winding coast roads...

srytter

Oct 22, 2015
Denmark
I'm driving the Leon 1,4 TSI 150 ST DSG with +8000 miles on the clock. On average I get 33 mpg. On each refuel, I calculate the exact mpg, so this number is the exact, average mpg on my car since I bought it. Bear in mind, that the official number is 47... And the milages hasn't improved in my 10 months of ownership.
My worst mpg after af full tank is 28 and the best is 36. So I am far from impressed.

The milage is so poor, that I have contacted the dealer several times about this. They put me in contact with seat, who told me that this consumption is what I can expect! In other words Seat claims that a consumption worse than 30% of the official milage is to be expected.

Like OP I also feel that it often hangs in the 1st gear and that something is wrong with the gearing. My driving I would say is rather average. I'm no rally driver nor a grandpa.

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
This is all very interesting and making me think that I don't do too badly with my 1.8 Tsi. I think my driving style for most of the time is fairly average, not too fast or too slow. I average around 37 mpg for normal mixed driving and 43 mpg for a longer run on the motorway or good A roads. I do, however, live in a fairly rural area and do very little driving in busy built up areas.
As I don't do high mileage and don't drive particularly wildly, I had thought about changing to the 1.4 ACT when I have a new car next spring, as it would save on fuel costs. But if people are really only getting these low figures, which are no better than my 1.8, I think I might have another 1.8 as I've found it a lovely car to drive and also like the better suspension and brakes. I have also been looking at the VW Golf GT with the 1.4 Tsi ACT, as although more expensive, does come with lots of equipment and the better rear suspension.

Orbiter

Orbiter
Apr 3, 2015
Leon 1.4tsi, mpg

Mine is the 140bhp version i.e no ACT.
I used to get over 46mpg mixed driving but this has improved to 50mpg, and if I try hard but without holding up traffic, on a long run I can easily get above 50mpg now with 19000 miles.
In traffic I would hope to get 40m.p.g however I suppose all traffic is different and if I wetre to drive in central London all day I don't know what I would get?

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
This is all very interesting and making me think that I don't do too badly with my 1.8 Tsi. I think my driving style for most of the time is fairly average, not too fast or too slow. I average around 37 mpg for normal mixed driving and 43 mpg for a longer run on the motorway or good A roads. I do, however, live in a fairly rural area and do very little driving in busy built up areas.
As I don't do high mileage and don't drive particularly wildly, I had thought about changing to the 1.4 ACT when I have a new car next spring, as it would save on fuel costs. But if people are really only getting these low figures, which are no better than my 1.8, I think I might have another 1.8 as I've found it a lovely car to drive and also like the better suspension and brakes. I have also been looking at the VW Golf GT with the 1.4 Tsi ACT, as although more expensive, does come with lots of equipment and the better rear suspension.

The 1.8 has been discontinued in the Leon. I wanted to order one in the new Boheme purple colour.

FR now only available with 1.4T (150) or 2.0 CR (184). Only the 184 has the multi-link rear suspension and larger brakes.

Orbiter

Orbiter
Apr 3, 2015
Ashworth

Can you let us/me know if you test drive the Golf 1.4 as I have been looking at these too. Thing is, with a decent spec they cost far more than a similarly specced Leon. The upside is probably less depreciation despite the more boring looks, I would also be interested to know how the Golf headlights compare to to the Leon LED's. Headlights are something which road testers habitually forget but are obviously important and more so as you get older and contrast resolution decreases etc.

Ashworth

Feb 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
Can you let us/me know if you test drive the Golf 1.4 as I have been looking at these too. Thing is, with a decent spec they cost far more than a similarly specced Leon. The upside is probably less depreciation despite the more boring looks, I would also be interested to know how the Golf headlights compare to to the Leon LED's. Headlights are something which road testers habitually forget but are obviously important and more so as you get older and contrast resolution decreases etc.

The fact that the 1.8 is no longer available is a big disappointment, but not a surprise, as I'd already heard rumours that it may be going.
I haven't really made up my mind yet whether to have a new Seat Leon FR in the 1.4 ACT version with DSG or go for the VW Golf GT Edition with same engine etc. I don't think I will get around to a test drive or ordering before Christmas but it will be very early in January as I would like my new car by mid May at the latest.
There are advantages and disadvantages of both.

Jamesb

Mar 26, 2017
If you enjoy this sweet engine as it's supposed to be driven I wouldn't expect much more than 40mpg long term with a mixture of driving. Sure if you pootle around at 60mph on motorways just keeping in front of lorries and then trying really hard to save fuel you'll get 50 but then what's the point in getting a petrol engine when you should just buy a diesel!!
More importantly its bloody great fun to drive fast and put a smile on your face!

fabiavrs2004

Sep 11, 2015
Bristol
I've a manual 1.4 act and I'm averaging 46, if I was getting under 40 on a run I would be very unhappy. The DSG gearbox should be similar to the manual. Keep the pressure on SEAT, email the UK MD directly, customer services will pick it up and have to close it out..

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
My 2 cents (although not same engine, but also a petrol EcoTSI)

Official Numbers
53/64/72 mpg
(1.4 EcoTSI is 48/60/68?)

My Experience (average MPG on car trip computer, all journeys more than 10 miles, start/stop active):
Heavy traffic in Central London: 30-35 mpg
Medium traffic in Central London: 35-43 mpg
Light (9:30 am on Sunday) traffic via central London: 45-50 mpg
I guess the above is the closest you can get to their urban cycle in real life. I'm confident if it was 3am, I can get 53mpg average in city.

Medium - light traffic outside central London on 30-50mph roads: 53-58mpg (highest ever average 60mpg)

Highway runs (65-75mph): 48 - 55mpg

My old 2.0 TDI DSG with official 55/64/70 mpg numbers did almost identical 'real life' numbers except on highway runs, it will do a lot better more like 55-60 mpg. Highest ever average 64mpg :).

So if you drive exclusively only in the city, 35-40 mpg average is about what to expect. If mainly outside of city zones with not too bad traffic expect high 40s low 50s. Even mid 50s possible.

If you want to meet the manufacturer 'official' urban economy numbers. As far as I know, the test doesn't have traffic incorporated into it. Try a run at 3am in the morning, spending long parts at consistent 30mph (Computer should show instataneous 60-80 mpg when you do), with the odd traffic lights here and there. Believe me, you will get close to, achieve or even exceed the 'official' numbers.

Last edited:

140 PS SE

May 23, 2017
Mine is the 140 PS TSi so no ACT but over 4 years in mixed motoring its averaged a true calculated 45 mpg. On a holiday trip fully loaded it will just better 50 mpg.

Brilliant for a petrol, had diesles that did less.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
My 2 cents (although not same engine, but also a petrol EcoTSI)

Official Numbers
53/64/72 mpg
(1.4 EcoTSI is 48/60/68?)

Light (9:30 am on Sunday) traffic via central London: 45-50 mpg
I guess the above is the closest you can get to their urban cycle in real life. I'm confident if it was 3am, I can get 53mpg average in city.

Medium - light traffic outside central London on 30-50mph roads: 53-58mpg (highest ever average 60mpg)

If you want to meet the manufacturer 'official' urban economy numbers. As far as I know, the test doesn't have traffic incorporated into it. Try a run at 3am in the morning, spending long parts at consistent 30mph (Computer should show instataneous 60-80 mpg when you do), with the odd traffic lights here and there. Believe me, you will get close to, achieve or even exceed the 'official' numbers.

Well, I've just tried the same city run on a bank holiday Sunday Stratford Westfields to Shepherds Bush Westfields via Kings X area etc, light traffic, maybe 5-6 red lights in total.
My highest total prior was around 50mpg average (same trip)...last Sunday, tada! At least according to the trip computer, I've bettered the 'official' urban cycle mpg. Please note, car's current tank of fuel is Shell V Power 99 RON.

20170528_092058_resized.jpg

Standard Shell 95 ~ 18-20 mile round trip on 30-50 mph zones...
20170320_001649_resized.jpg

Shell V Power 99 same journey at similar time, but...as had roadworks, missed roundabout exit, so had to go another round (twice)
20170528_004242_resized.jpg

Same jouney as above but just the first leg
20170528_002201_resized.jpg

Wonders of Vpower? If trip computer is accurate, it would be the same price (if not a little cheaper) to run Vpower 99 than 95 Ron petrol despite 10p more expensive. I have run Momentum 99 also, but didn't see any significant mpg gains. Powerwise didn't notice any changes, but perhaps engine a little less stuttery from min revs to 2k revs.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members