MPG leon 1.4 tsi 150

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Wonders of Vpower? If trip computer is accurate, it would be the same price (if not a little cheaper) to run Vpower 99 than 95 Ron petrol despite 10p more expensive. I have run Momentum 99 also, but didn't see any significant mpg gains. Powerwise didn't notice any changes, but perhaps engine a little less stuttery from min revs to 2k revs.

In my 07 Astra cdti 150 I only ever used v power diesel and consistently got improved mpg over standard fuels. I would do the same in my FR but I have a company fuel card so can't put premium fuels in unfortunately. I do avoid supermarket fuels like the plague and only ever stop at bp or shell.

Chester

MPG racer
Mar 25, 2002
Peterborough
Dredging up an old thread here!

I'm struggling to get passed 48MPG. With NSL cruising not really giving me any more MPG than mixed driving, which is really quite a surprise after the 130i where that car would be far more economical on the open road. In town driving has shot up and is super impressive. 2nd gear in rolling 15-20MPH traffic and the engine is sipping a fraction of the fuel of the straight six. I haven't spent any reasonable length of time in Eco mode but 10 miles on cruise control at NSL made no difference that I could see, so I guess that comes into its own during mixed driving conditions. We'll see...

I notice the Ecomotive badged cars come with an 'Aero' pack to make them more slippy. What does that consist of? It does seem that speeds above 60MPH engage the air blancmange affect (increasingly harder to push air out of the way), or is it that VW has massively engineered this engine to satisfy NEDC test conditions, and sod real-world driving?! If the latter is true, hurrah for WLTP assuming that's indeed more realistic as intended.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Dredging up an old thread here!

I'm struggling to get passed 48MPG. With NSL cruising not really giving me any more MPG than mixed driving, which is really quite a surprise after the 130i where that car would be far more economical on the open road. In town driving has shot up and is super impressive. 2nd gear in rolling 15-20MPH traffic and the engine is sipping a fraction of the fuel of the straight six. I haven't spent any reasonable length of time in Eco mode but 10 miles on cruise control at NSL made no difference that I could see, so I guess that comes into its own during mixed driving conditions. We'll see...

On cruise control @ 50mph or 70mph (flat ish road), what instantaneous consumption figures do you see?
My old 2.0TDI DSG @ 50mph would return (or hover around)~80mpg instantaneous, 1.0 EcoTSI ~ 65mpg instantaneous
@ 70mph, 2.0TDI hovers around 57-62mpg instantaneous, and 1.0 EcoTSI ~ 47-52 instantaneous.

What do you get on those conditions? I can only guess @ 50 mph ~ 70mpg (2 cyl mode) and @ 70 mph ~ 55 mpg (2 cyl mode?).

Also, does your car drink the good stuff? Vpower 99 / Esso 97?

Chester

MPG racer
Mar 25, 2002
Peterborough
That's a real hard question. The consumption figures are absolutely all over the place. 50MPH, mmm probably between 40 and 90MPG so around the upper 60's I'd say, and 70MPH, between upper 20's and 60's so results in around upper 40's. I'm regularly getting 47/48MPG on mixed driving journeys.

This morning however, spending probably 4-5 miles stuck behind a queue behind a crane which definitely helped (until I couldn't hold on any longer!), I managed to get this result:

41148611974_74f9dbf957_o.jpg

Can't say fairer than that.

So next thing to try is to get a couple of tank fulls of 98/99RON through and then change to map 2 and see what happens. The target is around the same cost per mile, but with 240lbft on tap! Now that will be nice!

So yeah, really pleased that I managed to break that barrier today. On the return journey, well that was 46.7MPG but I was having a spot of fun on some back roads, so pretty astonishing really.