MPG Question

pantsdavies

Apr 1, 2007
Hello this has probably been discussed millions of times.

but I drove my mates 55 Plate VW GOLF PLUS 1.9 TDi yesterday from
Cardiff to Sheffield and back and was amazed to see it averaging 58MPG

I reset it once and it was averaging 63 MPG but after being stuck on the M5
in the rain for hours the MPG dropped to early 50's

Im absolutly positive his golf has the same engine as my 2005 1.9TDi Altea but mine only averages about 43 MPG.

He also recons to get 600 miles on a full tank and I recon I get 450ish

Is mine low or is high?, Why aint they the same?:cartman::cartman:

DAN M

Oct 15, 2002
Visit site
I'm getting 450 miles out of mine. But its a newish engine (less than 2000 miles). Hopefully get 500 when its run in.

Tell

Staff member
I was going to say wind mass and weight but given its a Golf Plus, not that one. Join the club of us Altea owners that think we should get what the government cycle figures are. My 2.0 TDI DSG won't shift from 39 MPG brim to brim measurement whilst the computer read out on a country road cruising at 50 MPH fully warmed up will give 48 (the best I see on that), but that averaged with the cold running, the motorway dashes all leads to 39 brim to brim accounting.

I think what we want is an Altea with a Pug engine, they are more efficient diesels and Fiat are suppose to have good ones now. Reckon VW engines are like Nikon cameras of old, they don't lead on technology but give you quality ?... um, not too sure about the comparison.

alex1

We have a new Altea 1.9 - it's done 639 miles on its first tank, and on the computer it shows my routine journey ( 50 miles per day, on 60mph A road, and 17 miles motorway - which I drive a steady 70 on) as returning never less than an average of 56 mpg. We have been really pleased with the fuel economy and this was one of the main reasons for buying the 1.9 over the 2.0 litre.

I must say that I have a consistent journey with little interuptions, ie. no traffic lights etc, so I suspect this is one of the reasons we get such a good return. I simply drive pretty consistently and this appears to give a great mpg return.

Al

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
similar experience here (to alex1), 65 mile daily round trip, taking it steady (65mph) and the route is a mix of fast A roads, 49/50 mpg average over 3 month.

I think what you've got with a TDI is the possibilty to have poor MPG and the chance to have very good MPG, much more so than a previous VW non turbo i had before, the gap between your lowest MPG and the highest MPG you can acheive is quite large, i think once you get the turbo spinning it can gulp lots of fuel, so i'd say driving style has a lot to do with it on a turbo diesel. My non turbo diesel was much more consistent in it's MPG.

Last edited:

xlray

Jun 6, 2007
Funny that. Just filled up the tank for the third time on my XL 2L DSG. The average according to the fuel used is 43, although the computer says 44.

On a trip on Friday mainly motorway it averaged 45+ at 70+ mph. This was a 90 mile trip each way. With the car only having 1200 miles though I expect it to improve.

XLRAY

charles_altea

Just my 2p's worth :-

It is worth calculating the fuel economy yourself (as Tell & xlray has done). The computer read-out in my car (Altea 2.0 TDI) is quite optimistic, reporting 47.3 mpg on the last tankful. However, using the old-fashioned way of doing it gives me 42.96mpg.

This behaviour is consistent, as I fill up to the brim on each visit to the fuel station and record the figures every time.

So whether you think your economy is good or bad, it's worth everyone comparing like for like figures and stating whether they're from the in-car computer or manually worked out.

Finally, my best and worst true mpg's are 44.38 and 37.13. Just eeked out over 500 miles from the last tankful... Car has completed 22500 miles.

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
Just my 2p's worth :-

It is worth calculating the fuel economy yourself (as Tell & xlray has done). The computer read-out in my car (Altea 2.0 TDI) is quite optimistic, reporting 47.3 mpg on the last tankful. However, using the old-fashioned way of doing it gives me 42.96mpg.

This behaviour is consistent, as I fill up to the brim on each visit to the fuel station and record the figures every time.

So whether you think your economy is good or bad, it's worth everyone comparing like for like figures and stating whether they're from the in-car computer or manually worked out.

Finally, my best and worst true mpg's are 44.38 and 37.13. Just eeked out over 500 miles from the last tankful... Car has completed 22500 miles.

And PhilofCas too :coolthumb, computer reads 4mpg more, pretty consistently (2.0Tdi 6sp).

Tell

Staff member
Mine is now refusing to budge from 39 MPG brim to brim but it does include cross channel dashes across Europe which aren't good for the MPG with high speed cruising so I'm not really unhappy, it's just annoying that it is so far out from the government figures, all my other cars you could get what they said.

Nutkin

Pop-a-Keg ya?
Aug 24, 2006
Schnaitsee
my best figure in a 110 1.9 was about 53mpg on a tank driving up to cumbria from london.

My worst was about 35mpg when i did a constant 120 ish mph on a certain autobahn driving from switzerland to london.

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
Mine is now refusing to budge from 39 MPG brim to brim but it does include cross channel dashes across Europe which aren't good for the MPG with high speed cruising so I'm not really unhappy, it's just annoying that it is so far out from the government figures, all my other cars you could get what they said.

must admit, my (actual) 49/50 mpg is with me 'trying to drive economically' and my daily run is pretty flat and very suitable for high(er) mpg, i'd say the combined gov. figure of 47.9 (2.0TDI) is achievable only under certain conditions. Normal driving/conditions would probably give 40-45 mpg, some way off the combined figure quoted, a previous car (Polo 1.9D) was quoted at 49.6 (if memory serves me correct) and i say i was hard pushed to get much below this (same journey as i do now), more often than not i was in the high 50's mpg quite easily, so that bucked the trend some what, might have just been lucky ??.

Don't know what the answer is other than to really try and achieve the gov. figure and if you just cannot get any where near then you may have a problem with your car, i think they quote at the top end of what is acheivable.

I suppose 39mpg on a quick Euro run is pretty respectable for a heavy highish car, i reckon 30mpg would be a typical 2ltr petrols economy on the same run.

EBlack

MPG - Altead TDI FR

F*ck me - 43 to the gallon!.

My car is new (3k on the clock now) - and I've never seem more than 39 to the gallon. If I got 43 I'd be like a dog with 2 coc*s!.

I've triven it hard - and got as little as 34, and driven it like a nun never returns more than 38/39 - and that's steady motorway driving just on 70mph.

Am genuinely a bit disappointed with this, as my last car - a 318d regularly got mid 50's to the gallon, and before that a 130 TDI Golf got high 40's regular as clockwork!.

Teeza

Hi all, I've posted on this separately but my XL 2.0TDi DSG is typically getting around 30-32 combined and has never returned better than 38 (on a recent 300mile motorway drive, clear conditions, 70-80mph mainly on cruise). Convinced it has a fault but dealer has looked at it a couple of times and tells me there's nothing wrong.

Would love to be getting 40 on a regular basis...

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
are we talking about 2.0ltrs only here? On my 1.9, working it out on brim to brim (~59ltrs = ~500/530miles) this is on normal driving. Thats works out about 39mpg out of a 1.9tdi.