Mufflerectomy - how much added noise?

TomWhite

Dec 8, 2004
Bristol areal
I have a PD150 and the idea of mufflerectomy for the extra power is good. Extra noise not so much. People have told me it doesnt make much difference in terms of volume but from a couple of clips on youtube it seems much louder?

Whats peoples experience?

Apr 28, 2012
gravesend
im having a custom exhasut made up i also going down the MUFFLERECTOMY route aswell just want striahgt pipe from back of the dpf to bend at the end for centre exit

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Doesn't add much in the way of power either so don't believe everything you hear. Best bet is to remove the backbox simply for weight saving lol.

Anyway noise in the car isn't bad, a bit of a drone but better if the tail pipe has a down turn on the end. Could always fit some kind of straight through backbox though.

Anyway yeh, don't expect to feel any power gains.

john_tdi

mmm 385lbft
Feb 21, 2007
s wales
from my own experience, reading, and seeing others.

Its the back box that is most restrictive. Was the case on my pd150 anyway.

dp and cat removal will possibly gain 1 or 2 hp, but will help spool and make the car rev easier, thus making the car a little faster, and will give the illusion of much more power.

I went from a stock system to milltek dp decat non res and twin miltek backbox.

Then later I had the backbox removed. I did notice a gain. However I did have a hybrid, not that it should make a huge difference.

Sound wise, on tick over there was a deeper note. Not crazy, but you can tell the car was tuned so to speak. On normal driving, was same as most uprated exhausts, not boomy etc. However on full chat, it was loud. Plus I had the turbo spool down sound. Pigeon as some call it. I once was asked if I had a external wastegate LOL.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.