Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Multi Function Indicator system explained

Discussion in 'Mk2 Ibiza/Cordoba Guides (6K) 1993-1999' started by Fl@pper, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Fl@pper

Fl@pper Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope

as fitted on the 16v and other models ill try and explain how its used using whats in the manual and from memory so i will edit it later when i double check

In addition to the time the multi function indicator (MFI) gives the following information

*Driving Time
    *Distance Driven
    *Average Speed
    *Average Fuel Consumption
    *Outside Temperature

The function currently being displayed is indicated by a triangle logo on the top or bottom edge pointing to the apporpiate printed symbol on the dash panel around the lcd display

Operation/Navigation

The system is operated via the switch on the face of the wiper stalk (A) and the push button on the end (B)

With the ignition switched on brief and repeated pressing of (B) will cycle through the various options. If you hold the button (B) in for longer than one second the display will return to the clock.

Memories

Shown on the front switch (A) the system has 2 memories

1 = current journey (since igntion on)
    2 = overall/average memory (since last reset)

Either of these can be reset at any time by selecting the switch to 1/2 then pressing an holding further across the switch to the respective 0 for more than one second

*nb* memory 1 stores for current journey and even if you stop it will carry on as long as the vehicle hasn't been at rest for longer than 2 hours. After 2 hours memory 1 is automatically erased but stays as info for memory 2 (average)

Displays

no symbol
    time clock and appears when ignition is off

clock
    driving time

pos 1 = elapsed time since ignition on or reset

pos 2 = total driving time for all journeys since last manual reset up to a maximum of 99hrs 59mins

miles
    Distance covered using the same 1/2 as memories above both current and total

mph
    Average speed which takes measure after 100m of ignition on or manual reset and until that point will appear as dashes - - - -

also again is subject to using the same 1/2 as memories above both current and total

mpg
    is an average fuel consumption in miles per gallon which works the same in principle as average speed so will need a few seconds of settling - ideal on long journeys and can be reset on the move also again is subject to using the same 1/2 as memories above both current and total

oil temp/can
    Oil Temperature shows within a range of (+50 degrees > +160 degrees Centigrade) when first starting will display dashes - - - - indicating the engine is not yet warmed up so useful to ensure you dont thrash it when cold.

usual average is approx 90 - 110 (after a spirited drive) but have seen 130 on track day cars before now - if you see 145 pull over to pick up the pieces your engine is just about to throw out the bottom

temp/ *C
    Ambient temperature shows an outside temp reading between (-40 degrees > +50 degrees centigrade) worth noting as the sensor is in the front bumper area when stood still for a while it will read higher from heat radiation from the engine and when fast moving will read slightly lower due to wind chill but its fairly close

once ignition is off the temp reading is stored for 45 mins but if used after that time it restarts the reading

dont forget Ice forms at temperatues ABOVE 0 degrees centigrade reading on the display - take 5 degrees as a benchmark to start being aware for driving conditions - later models beep a warning at this point

hope it helps - any obvious errors - mail me - will update when i get my speedo plugged back in as i will double check it all then

#1 Fl@pper, Feb 1, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  2. Fl@pper

if you are not sure if you have this system or not check around the display at the bottom of your rev counter for the symbols mentioned above

Picture of an example 16v Gti speedo

3. crezz

crezz pedro motorsports

give that man a pint

4. Fl@pper

i work in litres - coke and not the namby pamby lite stuff either ;)

5. beezertart

beezertart **MAYHEM**

coke zero for real men i believe!!!;) Fat coke all the way,has to be....

6. Boi Ninja

Boi Ninja 16 valves of sweet shhhhh

hehe yeh 'bout time we had some stickies on the mk2 ibiza section.

7. Fl@pper

the service indicator one i posted ages back in servicing/maintenance but copied it over now

if you see any just drop me a pm or report it - the report system allows you to give a reason so it's not just for complaining ;)

8. Boi Ninja

i think we need one on "gti vs cupra" tbh. ill try and find a thread to report ...hmm soo many to choose from hehe.

9. Linkian

Linkian neva want the ride to end

Hey sorry about this question but whats the difference between a cupra sport, gti and a gti cupra sport.
    cheers lads

10. Boi Ninja