Multimedia System X.X?

SaxophoneMn

Jul 14, 2015
I have been trying to find out information on my Toldeo TDI - Style - multimedia system.

When I got my car after purchase I was informed that the TDI has the USB and iPod cables in the glove box and not under the air-con controls (not like the TSI version). Of all of the pictures I have scoured on the net, I have yet to find one that looks like mine. It has two card slots a regular card on the left, and a micro SD card on the right used for the GPS (it could be custom since the GPS is from an Israeli company - Ituran).

I'm also curious if it's possible to upgrade the system to work with CarPlay since it has a color touch screen, and an iPod cable that I plan to adapt with a 30 pin to lightning adapter from Apple.

Thanks for reading/answering,

SaxophoneMn

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
I have been trying to find out information on my Toldeo TDI - Style - multimedia system.

When I got my car after purchase I was informed that the TDI has the USB and iPod cables in the glove box and not under the air-con controls (not like the TSI version). Of all of the pictures I have scoured on the net, I have yet to find one that looks like mine. It has two card slots a regular card on the left, and a micro SD card on the right used for the GPS (it could be custom since the GPS is from an Israeli company - Ituran).

I'm also curious if it's possible to upgrade the system to work with CarPlay since it has a color touch screen, and an iPod cable that I plan to adapt with a 30 pin to lightning adapter from Apple.

Thanks for reading/answering,

SaxophoneMn

Is your car a MY16 car?

I have a 14 plate TSI and the MDI is under the AC controls, and only have 1 SD slot to left for standard SD card.

Only the MY16 cars have the Full link Capabilities for Mirror link and car play.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
The 2012-2015 MDI interface is really poor. And it's very particular about litening connections.

Most of the cheap ebay ones dont work.

The BMW mini lead may be cheaper than the SEAT one though.

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
I got a BMW one and it works, has been for past year, only issue is it freezes some times but that might be the iPod, Cannot get it to work with anything else to work with it though.

SaxophoneMn

Jul 14, 2015
The fact that you have 2 SD card slots implies that you don't have a genuine head unit. Does it look something like this?

(URL deleted need 10 more posts)

The car is brand new from the dealer, meaning that it sat in the port for around 6 months after being shipped a month earlier. I guess eventually I will be able to take a picture and upload it.

There doesn't seem to be a visible MDI I have a two cables snaked through the glove box with a USB and 30 pin iPod/Phone connection.

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
Does this look like yours?

a553a999737fc7842e75f0cff1e58118.jpg

128e1a26d679a96ef6263d1e5a3b8a35.jpg

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

SaxophoneMn

Jul 14, 2015
Nope.

I have only two knobs on the bottom, where you have two buttons between the three knobs I have two card slots.

Instead of the USB port and Aux port under the 5 buttons for locking, rear defroster etc. I have the aux near my emergency brake and a two cables with an iPod cable and a USB socket. The screen is rather different from the manuals I have seen for all of the units. Is there such a concept that the Diesel version would be different if it's the same trim level as the Petrol version?

Also is there a thread specific to people that did modifications of their units? It would seem to be a general purpose area, and not just model specific.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
The car is brand new from the dealer, meaning that it sat in the port for around 6 months after being shipped a month earlier. I guess eventually I will be able to take a picture and upload it.

There doesn't seem to be a visible MDI I have a two cables snaked through the glove box with a USB and 30 pin iPod/Phone connection.

Brand new from a dealer means it's a brand new car. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a brand new car with a factory fit head unit. If someone has robbed the head unit while it's been in storage and the dealer has found a cheap way to replace the sat nav unit (with a cheap ebay special) then you'll have a brand new car with a crap stereo.

The other option is that the car was manufactured with standard stereo and to make it more attractive they've fitted an aftermarket head unit and bullshitted the sales patter.

So, does your unit look similar to the one I posted?

SaxophoneMn

Jul 14, 2015
Wow, I just got home and went through my manuals in my glove box and verified our suspicions that my head unit is some Chinese eBay junker. I have the Middle Trim (Style) I'm not sure why they saw it fit to get rid of the stereo and replace it with another, it looks like it was done by the company that also sells the security code box on the car. Jolly

I checked my paper work and it looks like there is a lot of funny business going on. I guess I will start with a complaint to the top and see what they say.

Cheers to everyone for their help. I have a AD6025 with 6 month old software.

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
Glad you have managed to get to bottom of it. Go to your dealer and see what they have to say

SaxophoneMn

Jul 14, 2015
They claim that the cars arrive without stereos. I'm curious to what that means, if I wanted an aftermarket stereo I would have gone for an Alpine or Pioneer with CarPlay support.

B

Joe_3490

Sep 20, 2010
Sounds dodgy to me lol unless it's so they can have your maps for the nav

SaxophoneMn

Jul 14, 2015
I tried calling the SEAT number in Spain from their financial reports. Wasn't of much help, should I call a dealer directly or is there an office for the UK that handles "these" issues?

SaxophoneMn

Jul 14, 2015
I called and it was rather funny calling with my American accent and calling the letter 'z' zed. All kidding aside they wouldn't give me the number of SEAT to find out the information etc. I did read SEAT's investor relations and that had a phone number. When I emailed corporate they never wrote back to me, though i gave them my vehicle serial number.

Even though this is not a genuine radio, the steering wheel controls work, etc. It also has the connections to add a subworfer, etc. down the road, plus I might be able to hock it for a Pioneer or Alpine in a year or two, I bought the Diesel to keep around till it falls apart.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Thing is though, you paid for a new car with a nav system installed which would be in the region of £2000 if you had to buy it. They've substituted that nav system for one which costs less than a tenth of the price of the unit you should've got. If they did the same with the wheels and instead of genuine Seat alloys and put cheap aftermarket wheels on then would you be happy with that? What about warranty? Will they cover the aftermarket head unit for the full 3 years manufacturers warranty period? Like shite, I bet.

If it were me I'd be in the dealers with a volcano under my arm and kicking off big style until you got rid of the cheap and nasty piece of crap they've hoisted onto you, and fitted something with at least a Seat brand part number on it.

Something stinks here, and I just wouldn't sit down and let them walk all over if I were you.

Also, not much point in going to Seat Corporate as they won't have any dealings with customer relations etc. The link I gave you has the number and email address of customer services, and that's where you'll get the best response. Seat in Spain are the parent company so you'll get nothing from them.