Multiple issues with 2019 Seat Leon Cupra

tallen96

Nov 27, 2019
Hi guys, this is my first post to the forum so apologies if i get anything wrong.

Above are two videos that show the problems i'm having with my car.

All of the issues i'm having occurred after i put my foot down in eco mode on a slip road. Car made a loud mechanical bang and hasn't been the same since.

It's now been 3 months since these problems occurred and SEAT have told me the car is fine 3 times now.

Issues:

• Rubbing noise whilst going over speed bumps, car had an alignment but still makes the noise
  • knocking noise from engine bay under acceleration (not wheel hop).
  • scratching/grinding noise from gearbox or diff (not sure).
I love the car but the service i'm getting from SEAT has been horrible so far so i'd like to know what you guys think the issues are.

Thanks!

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Take it to seat HQ

The acceleration video doesn’t sound good. Maybe something is lose and rattling in the engine bay(?) is there any loss of power?

As for the speed bump video, I personally think you’re going over the bumps too fast. You probably will get noise going over what looks like medium sized bumps at 15-20mph

Last edited:
Reactions: OJ9693

tallen96

Nov 27, 2019
I contacted them and they've been pretty unhelpful sadly.

The car didn't make that noise going over the speed bumps before i had the mechanical bang which is why i think it's related. Btw the rubbing noise is much louder in real life, you can also feel a vibration through the pedals and steering column which can't be good.

tallen96

Nov 27, 2019
Sounds like you had wheel hop and you've damaged an engine mount or something along those lines

That's what i was thinking. The only thing that confuses me is that when i was on the on ramp i didn't get any wheel hop when i put my foot down, just a loud bang.

I have had wheel hop before that though a couple of times when pulling away from junctions.

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
Have you checked the shocks? they have bump stops fitted to them for transport and there was an issue on the VW forum with them being left on under the PDI's?

Just a thought but worth checking as they are plastic things above the shock gators IIR

Reactions: bgb

tallen96

Nov 27, 2019
Have you checked the shocks? they have bump stops fitted to them for transport and there was an issue on the VW forum with them being left on under the PDI's?

Just a thought but worth checking as they are plastic things above the shock gators IIR

Had a look at all the suspension the other day on a lift and couldn't see anything obvious, any chance you have a photo of what they look like?

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
Without being too nosey. If you have it on PCP/ finance deal, refuse the car. they’ll soon sort it then.

tallen96

Nov 27, 2019
Without being too nosey. If you have it on PCP/ finance deal, refuse the car. they’ll soon sort it then.
That's what i'm going to do (as it's a lease car) if they don't fix it the next time it goes in. I'm still within the 6 month period so should be able to get a replacement or just flat out refuse it if necessary.

Not sure how easy that'll be though lol.

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
Had a look at all the suspension the other day on a lift and couldn't see anything obvious, any chance you have a photo of what they look like?

Lift up the 'boot', if you see a clean plastic 'puck', you know your issue!

Is the car sitting high?

This is what you are looking for.

i-gzTCfjN-M.jpg

Yeah, tried every mode and it's pretty much the same. The rubbing noise in Cupra and sport is a bit different but that just from the dampers firming up i think.

I meant more for the loud clunk noise? Is it still there is all modes? It could be tramping? Or is it a single wallop?

tallen96

Nov 27, 2019
Lift up the 'boot', if you see a clean plastic 'puck', you know your issue!

Is the car sitting high?

This is what you are looking for.

i-gzTCfjN-M.jpg

I meant more for the loud clunk noise? Is it still there is all modes? It could be tramping? Or is it a single wallop?

ah i see, sorry misread your question. yeah it's there in all modes and it's a single wallop, can feel it through the pedals.

Thanks for the photo, will have a look as soon as i can and report back.

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Hi guys, this is my first post to the forum so apologies if i get anything wrong.

Above are two videos that show the problems i'm having with my car.

All of the issues i'm having occurred after i put my foot down in eco mode on a slip road. Car made a loud mechanical bang and hasn't been the same since.

It's now been 3 months since these problems occurred and SEAT have told me the car is fine 3 times now.

Issues:

• Rubbing noise whilst going over speed bumps, car had an alignment but still makes the noise
  • knocking noise from engine bay under acceleration (not wheel hop).
  • scratching/grinding noise from gearbox or diff (not sure).
I love the car but the service i'm getting from SEAT has been horrible so far so i'd like to know what you guys think the issues are.

Thanks!

Hi mate,

I'm going to potentially save you here regarding the KNOCK / THUD when accelerating (SECOND VID).

I had the exact same knock noise. Happened pulling away, accelerating. Mechanical. A thud, rather than a bang.

SEAT had my car in for weeks.

It turned out to be the TOP STRUT MOUNT on the driver's side.

Test it yourself:

Open your bonnet and put your hand on the top strut. Have someone lock the steering wheel from side to side. Repeat the process on both sides. If it makes a very similar noise to what you get accelerating, it's that! (try it multiple times). You will also FEEL it.

THE TOP STRUTS ARE UNDERNEATH THE PLASTIC TOP TRAY.

SEAT replaced both lower control arms and this didn't work. It was the TOP STRUT.

struts.jpg

Reactions: Jaco2k and ray

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I don't know what's wrong with your car but if you go over speed bumps that fast you're going to break something.

Even a sensible speeds, speed bumps move the suspension much further and faster than normal driving and it's not that unusual to hear creaks and squeaks. Our car has a creak over speed bumps, has done it for nearly 70K miles, never gotten worse but not gone away either. I did ask Seat about it at the beginning. Got the the same answer as you, nothing wrong. Possibly, they are right?

I can't see how they could say that clunk on acceleration is normal though, sounds pretty bad. I'd ask to take their service manager out in the car, you drive and let him hear it. If he says it's normal ask him what the noise is. If he doesn't know, ask how he can know it's normal then? Maybe video the conversation.

Sooner or later you are going to find out what that noise is, and I don't think it's going to be good.

tallen96

Nov 27, 2019
Hi mate,

I'm going to potentially save you here regarding the KNOCK / THUD when accelerating (SECOND VID).

I had the exact same knock noise. Happened pulling away, accelerating. Mechanical. A thud, rather than a bang.

SEAT had my car in for weeks.

It turned out to be the TOP STRUT MOUNT on the driver's side.

Test it yourself:

Open your bonnet and put your hand on the top strut. Have someone lock the steering wheel from side to side. Repeat the process on both sides. If it makes a very similar noise to what you get accelerating, it's that! (try it multiple times). You will also FEEL it.

THE TOP STRUTS ARE UNDERNEATH THE PLASTIC TOP TRAY.

SEAT replaced both lower control arms and this didn't work. It was the TOP STRUT.

struts.jpg

Cheers, will give it a try. Really hope i can find it.

Copra68

Jun 10, 2013
Take it to a different dealer for a second opinion. Like the others have said your going far to hard over speed bumps, maybe that's just to make the noise heard though.