Multiple Short to Ground codes Ibiza 6l1... any help please

Apr 14, 2019
Ireland
- o2 sensor heating bank 1 sensor 2 open circuit p1118open circuit/short to ground - intermittent

-Powertrain data bus missing message from central electronic ECU P1637 open circuit / short to ground - intermittent

-Load Calculation Cross check implausible value P1141 Short with Ground - intermittent

Fuses are all fine and wiring seems to be ok. Possibly a relay or Bad ECU maybe?

any help appreciated.

Ashveer03

Dec 16, 2018
Iv seen instances where o2 sensors short out and cause crap.

Disconnect the o2 plug, clear faults and see what comes back.
If u just get the o2 fault then replace the sensor

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shane94

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Yes the O2 pre cat sensor heater does tend to be show that sort of "open circuit/short to ground - intermittent" - I'd think that it has failed, I'd suggest only replacing it with a genuine VW Group one or exactly the same item made by NTK (an NGK brand) from elsewhere.

Apr 14, 2019
Ireland
Thanks lads, I have replaced it and it has got rid of the 02 sensor fault. all that remains now is the load calculation cross check fault.

I replaced the map sensor recently as I was sure that was causing that error (and the car occasionally cut out on acceleration for a second or two and its been three weeks now and this hasn't happened since so fingers crossed anyway it wont happen again but the error does remain regardless).

I'm wondering if the TPS is to blame for the load calculation fault as I also notice some stuttering and hesitation in lower gears as I leave go of the accelerator.

anyone have any ideas? much appreciated again.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
No, I've forgotten what the main culprits are for the load cross calculation, have you ever tried cleaning up the TB and the port near it for the EGR valve gasses passing into the inlet manifold, especially the port where the EGR valve pipe connects into the inlet manifold area - does very little harm to clean up the MAP sensor though be gentle with it, ie do not spray carb cleaner into it directly.

Edit:- what happens with the EGR gasses is, they are very hot and have carbon in them, as they pass through a very small bore pipe into the inlet manifold, they mix with the slightly oily gasses from the crankcase/cam chest areas and that ends up with a thick tarry deposit which will restrict the EGR gas flow and can confuse things a bit.