My 16v Nurburgring experiance

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
Just been to the Nurburgring in my 97 16v, heres how it did.

Drove it 500 mile, it never missed a beat. Weitec suspension firm but not harsh, Janspeed exhaust almost silent at 70-80 cruising speed.

13 mile of widow maker and it was awsome, passing a 05 reg type R and an old bmw 3 series 318is.

The suspension set up was very netural the back seemed to step out but very easy to control. Not sure if Front and rear Strut braces made much difference.

Toyo TR-1's had alot of grip to give, only suffered minor understeer when i went in too hot, and when i did EBC brake discs and Green Stuff pads were ok, i think the pads were on the limit though, and did give alot of dust/noise.
Exhaust did seem to rattle and give some vibrations when going round, which ive never had before which is a little annoying but not the end of the world.

11minutes round which isnt great but thats my first ever lap and some porsches got in my way :think: i think a 10min30 would be achievable but i didnt want to tempt fate as it got very busy.

And then it drove the 500 mile home without any problems. All in all ive fell in love with it again lol. my friend video'd my lap hes just got to drop it on a disc for me then ill post it up.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
the track was meant to be open saturday evening after an endurance race, but the race was stopped due to a bad crash and then restarted, so no track time saturday, then i meant to get up early but got drunk saturday night lol.

i did one lap then went to pay for some more and they had to stop the track for an accident again. about 10 minutes after it re-opend then did a bikes only thing. then it was very very rammed and we didnt have a whole lot of time so i left it. my mates car did 4 laps and my other mates civic did 2. To be fair it was a most awsome roadtrip, we went through Holland on the way back which was random.

sionowz

Jan 28, 2007
cardiff
any idea how much it set you back in fuel? I bet the mpg wasnt in the high 30's alot :D (certainly wouldnt be with me!)

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
we cruised there and back, to avoid getting attracting any police intrest, especially being british. didnt bother adding the fuel up and working it out but trip showed 40.1 there and 37.6 on the way back.

but if you go fill up before Dover, fuel is more expensive in europe.

just take 1000 mile, £40 a tank? and then how far do you get on one tank. i kept it full/above half most of the time incase we got lost ect.

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
I love it there fella, so much that i might be going out again in august. my 1st lap was 10mins a few secs and my last lap (4th lap) I was doin low 9's but think low 8s can be done easily. manage to bin a a superchraged golf vr6 that goes out there for 12 day sessions lol

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
You never did 1000mile round trip for one lap?

A nurburgring trip is something i'd love to do, but finding time and about £300 for a couple of days hammer is proving hard

you might not believe me but its definatly worth it, its the best 11 minutes of my life, just dont tell my misses that :cartman: proper buzz, anyone vaguley intrested in cars/motorsport has got to go and see the place.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
I love it there fella, so much that i might be going out again in august. my 1st lap was 10mins a few secs and my last lap (4th lap) I was doin low 9's but think low 8s can be done easily. manage to bin a a superchraged golf vr6 that goes out there for 12 day sessions lol

ive never really done motorsport before ( 2 laps of courborogh sprint is it ) but the lad sat in my car is an ex rally driver, he was well impressed with me so my head was massive, i had alot of stuff go past me after the entrance to the pit lane and through those S's after that. a porsche went past me into carousel and then i had a long stretch where it was just me. and i did get alot of cofidence in the car and its limits so that helped,

A 10 minute would be awsome if thats all clarkson can do in a jag?

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
Dolly, if you fancy going over again why not kill two birds with one stone and go to the European meet ? those of us going over should be going down to the 'ring too
:D

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
depends when really, i shouldnt have really gone this month, saving for a house deposit and that. Everything seems to come down to money doesnt it lol.

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
How quick are the 911 Turbo, GT3/RS. I was doing flat out in 4 goin into K on them fast S's and a 911 turbo just came flyin pass me like i was doing 30 on the motorway!

The lanes around nurburg are amazing! Think they harder than the ring itself cos u hav no room for error. M3's and 911's are as common as saxo's and clio's here..... rich mans play ground fair play!

Dolly be honest 11mins since u have no experiance on track is good, u be shocked how much u take off that time on the nexts laps. I took almost min off on the second lap compared to the first. but its such a easy track to catch u out, so hard and demending

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
lol im meant to be going on a holiday with the good lady, ill definatly check how the dates fall though.

Porsches are well commen lol, those new nissan GT-Rs.. 4 of them on one car park lol. the speed of the cars out there, just shows you how little power you actually have. hopefully ill be able to upload the video and get it posted.

Think it was abit quieter this time (last year i was just a passanger) because of le mans.

The best road is between the track and the town i think it adenau? its really smooth and twisty, i raced my mates civic type r back up it, you just have to be careful of tractors and that, being on the wrong side of the road you cant see if anythings coming if you want to overtake, and its not worth trashing the car that far from home.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
but its such a easy track to catch u out, so hard and demending

Worst bit was after the big dip that rips your head off your neck doing around 80-90, back up the short hill, its a blind left, then suddenly it takes a right out of no where, it slid out and got a bit messy but i made it lol.

i think being abit careful and maybe losing abit of time is better than being cocky in some ways, just not enough time to learn that place unless you live there.

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
yeah dolly, tag along in aug for the seat international show.

I cant bloody wait,...brakes are playing up at the moment though, better get them fixed.

killer205

Jun 2, 2007
Just been to the Nurburgring in my 97 16v, heres how it did.

Drove it 500 mile, it never missed a beat. Weitec suspension firm but not harsh, Janspeed exhaust almost silent at 70-80 cruising speed.

13 mile of widow maker and it was awsome, passing a 05 reg type R and an old bmw 3 series 318is.

The suspension set up was very netural the back seemed to step out but very easy to control. Not sure if Front and rear Strut braces made much difference.

Toyo TR-1's had alot of grip to give, only suffered minor understeer when i went in too hot, and when i did EBC brake discs and Green Stuff pads were ok, i think the pads were on the limit though, and did give alot of dust/noise.
Exhaust did seem to rattle and give some vibrations when going round, which ive never had before which is a little annoying but not the end of the world.

11minutes round which isnt great but thats my first ever lap and some porsches got in my way :think: i think a 10min30 would be achievable but i didnt want to tempt fate as it got very busy.

And then it drove the 500 mile home without any problems. All in all ive fell in love with it again lol. my friend video'd my lap hes just got to drop it on a disc for me then ill post it up.

i raced a type r went saling past after 80mph

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
i dont think the guy in type R was all that, point and squirt but abit pants through the bends. to be fair ive changed the suspension ect, the honda was standard.

it was 22 Euro for 1, 75 for 4.

If you go its worth checking if theres any events/races on just incase you turn up and dont get any track time.

And im definatly glad i got the brakes sorted when i was standing on the pedal trying to slow it down lol

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise